_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Enamel paint stripper
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 07:20 AM UTC
I have a 1/24 scale plastic Porsche 908 LH and a 1/25 scale Porsche 917K that I built about 35 years ago. Both need to be restored. I've used mostly acrylics in recent years, nut these were done in enamel. Looking for a way to strip the paint with destroying the plastic.
Acrylic is easy to remove with bleach or isoprop (ammonia too, just keep it away from bleach). These don't seem to have any affect on enamel.
Suggestions?
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 07:28 AM UTC
Easy Off Oven Cleaner in a zip top bag overnight is my preferred method. Depending on how old the paint is it may take several applications/days.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 07:49 AM UTC
I've had various levels of poor luck with oven cleaner, window cleaner and brake fluid. I finally had some success with Testors ELO (Easy Lift Off), but it too has a steep learning curve, it was at least the 2nd or 3rd try before I actually got it to strip large quantities of pain in one step. The trick was letting it sit for at least 15 minutes. Kinda spendy, something like U$10 for 8oz or a pint can.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 08:54 AM UTC
I like Brake fluid and BBQ grill cleaner-- about the same as oven cleaner, but I find it works a little faster. Usually I use brake fluid, soaking for 12-24 hours, then a rinse, light scrubbing with an old toothbrush. Then, a squirt of BBQ cleaner in a deep pan and a soak for about an hour-- it's usually spotless after this treatment. This will easily remove chrome plating too. Test your cleaning products first though, just to be sure you haven't got something too agressive that will dissolve plastic.
VR, Russ
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 09:06 AM UTC
Does the oven cleaner remove any old glue also? Thanks for the response!
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Usually doesn't on the old glue bombs I've stripped. In some cases it has weakened it though, I guess it would depend on the tube glue used.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It depends on a several factors. I've never seen anything fully "remove" old glue, remember, most plastic adhesives are actually "welding" two parts together by softening the plastic, causing it to meld, excess glue is drawn off by evaporation. So what you have remaining is not glue but solidified plastic. In some citrine based glues, or lactic acid based glues (like Elmer's) glue remains to stabilize the joint, but these are not common plastic glues). Having said all that, the short answer is -- maybe. The oven cleaner may weaken some plastic joints, causing them to become brittle. So can brake fluid. But if you want a good way to separate old plastic parts, try soaking them in water for a day, taking them out without drying, placing them in a plastic bag, and popping them in the freezer for a couple of days (at least 48 hours). The water penetrates the seams and microscopic air bubbles in joints and expands as it freezes, causing the joints to separate along these naturally weak areas. The key though is to give the water enough time to penetrate and enough time to thouroughly freeze.
VR, Russ
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 12:24 PM UTC
Another option that I have seen used with good effect on most paints is Dettol (antiseptic). It works quite fast and you can strain the paint scraps out of it and use it multiple times.

Some good info in this thread, thanks for everybody's input.

Cheers, D
 _GOTOTOP