_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Review
Hasegawa: Lamborghini Miura P400 SV
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 04:09 AM UTC

Here''s a look at Hasegawa''s 1:24 kit of what is often cited as the world''s first supercar - the Lamborghini Miura.

Read the Review

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
ChurchSTSV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 04:39 AM UTC
I voted for this!!

Awesome review!
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 10:03 AM UTC
Rowan, nice, straight-to-the point review.

Yup, Miura was one of the "strangest" cars around.
The suggested painting (3 stage) It's something I've tried recently on my Porsche 959 build. It's risky and you need a "perfect painting session" for the last stage. I (evidently) ruined my kit with an inopportune coat of 2K, sandwiched between metallizer and final paint coat, but I didn't give up the idea...

Gabriel
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 07:04 PM UTC
Nice review Rowan, if I remember I'll try and dig out my original boxing of the base kit and see if there are any issues with the glass.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 10:07 PM UTC
Great review, very informative. Such a stunning looking classic, it would hold it's head high against any of the more recent designs.

Cheers, D
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 09:08 AM UTC
Cheers guys

I've got to say I love the Miura! It just epitomises everything that was so good in '60s designs. For me, it still eclipses most of what's followed. I know Lamborghini have said they don't "do" retro, so they won't revisit it, but think they are totally mistaken - an authentically styled Miura built to modern specs would make a fortune for them.

But, getting back to the kit...

@ Gabriel - You've confirmed my concern about the 3-stage painting process. It's easy on paper (and should work if the suggested clear green is the correct colour) - but every extra coat invites dust - hence fine-sanding and re-coating - and that's assuming the clear green is sufficiently dense.

My gut-feeling without trying the Mr Color clear green method?... assuming the actual hue is correct, the 3-stage process could easily stretch to a 5 or 6-stage epic. And then you'll still need to clear-coat after the semi-matt decals.

@ Luciano - it'd be great if you could check the clear parts in your original boxing. I've blamed mould wear for the scuffs because there also seems to be a little on the black sprues (the camera highlighted a little roughness there that I'll admit I'd missed with ageing my Mk.1 eyeballs...), but perhaps it was always an issue.

For all that, the Miura is still in with a chance to push other kits out of the way to be my next build!

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP