Scale truck modeling topics.
A big van for a big milestone!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 01:13 PM UTC
When I started my model site, The Sprue Lagoon, I didn’t really know what it was going to be like, or how long I’d stay at it. As a result of the site, though, I’ve managed to make all kinds of new connections, and it’s really become an important part of how I model. I take great pride in finding and reviewing both interesting, and completely oddball, subjects. One thing I’ve found since I started it back in 2012 is that I now often think “Would that be a fun kit to review?” before I even think of “Would that be a fun kit to build?” I have changed the way I think to try and take what everybody out there in “internet land” might like to see or find interesting.

As it turns out, this has led me down a number of interesting roads, and continues to do so. Seven years after starting the website, I have reached a milestone I didn’t even think was possible – 250,000 hits. That’s big for a site just made by one dude and his model stash, I think. I wanted to have a bit of a celebration for it; do something special, something a bit bigger than usual.

Well, thankfully, I found just the thing! A couple of years ago, I managed to get my hands on what is still the biggest car kit in my inventory, a 1/16 Street Van called “Movin’ Out”. It is a wild, wild “big rig show van” in the most overdone tradition of both the late ‘70s Vannin’ craze, AND the late ‘70s taste for humungous pieces of styrene!

I thought that it would be a fitting thing to present at this milestone occasion; a big review of a big kit on a big day. Check it out at the link below.

Thanks, to everybody, who’s helped make my site successful, and has made my modelling far more fun and interesting than I’d have ever thought possible. Just like this van, you all rock!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/revell-1-16-movin-out-big-rig-street-van-oob/

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 02:55 PM UTC
A 1/4-million hits Adam, that is awesome! I'm not surprised though, your style of review is very easy to read. The sarcasm, the dry humour, the outright honesty about the subject matter or kit quality, and the extra discussion about the time period and styles of the time, all add up to an extremely entertaining read.

This one is no exception!

The sheer size of the body is daunting, but that interior, WOW! Wagon wheel window, reel-to-reel, Naugahyde, there is a keg-load 0f fun in front of you assembling and painting that rig for sure.

As you said, the wheels are a definite "no thanks" and the decals a bucket of "meh", but there are enough after market producers around now that I'm sure you will be able to find the right finishing touches to do it justice.

Looking forward to this one hitting the bench mate, and here's to the next 250k hits

Cheers, D
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 04:00 PM UTC
Thanks, man! I appreciate it a lot!

I really wasn't sure if people would like my style, and there have been a few who haven't, but the positivity that I get from everybody makes it more than worthwhile to do what I do.

That kit is a total scream... I'm going to have to try some new stuff, like actual flocking for the carpet, I think. I'm sure I'll find some suitable wheels somewhere. I need the turbine mags from a General Lee, maybe? Hmmm...

Who knows, maybe this will be built in time for the 500,000th hit? Although, given the amount of work it is, it's just as likely to not be the case!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sure I'll find some suitable wheels somewhere. I need the turbine mags from a General Lee, maybe? Hmmm...

Cragars from the new 1/16 AMT 55 Nomad kit would be cool!

Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
Auto Modeler: 118 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 06:32 PM UTC
Wow!

How did I not find this till now!

Quite the eclectic collection! Nice!

Cheers Rob.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 - 01:00 AM UTC
Well done Adam. Well deserved. Love reading your very entertaining reviews.

MPS's 1/16 snowflake wheels, from their 1979 Firebird kit, could be an option.
Lot's of 1/16 R/C wheels on the market, but most are quite modern though.

Here's to another 250K
LonCray1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 - 01:40 AM UTC
Can we please have a moment of silence, for all the naugas that gave their lives for the inside of that van? It's no wonder that most species of nauga were extinct by 1981.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 - 11:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can we please have a moment of silence, for all the naugas that gave their lives for the inside of that van? It's no wonder that most species of nauga were extinct by 1981.

Amen. I haven't seen one since about 1982, and he looked pretty ragged and wrung out. I think he might have ended up as a La-Z-Boy armrset cover.

Thanks, everybody, for the interest and the congrats. I'm glad, Rob, that you found the site, and yes... I do have a pretty ecclectic collection. Some normal stuff too, but I almost hate to admit it!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Amen. I haven't seen one since about 1982, and he looked pretty ragged and wrung out. I think he might have ended up as a La-Z-Boy armrset cover.

_GOTOTOP