_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Revell XK SS
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Auto Modeler: 35 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 01:44 PM UTC
Just having completed Revell's XKE I thought I'd try another old kit from my stash, Revell's XK SS. There is no shortage of online images of the XK SS. There are original cars, restored cars, recreations and continuations. The continuation XK SSs are new factory builds with original factory chassis number for the 9 cars destroyed before being completed. Most of the differences are under the hood, but there are others. For example Steve McQueen's XK SS has no luggage rack in early photos, but the same car in Jay Leno's collection has a luggage rack.

XK SS kit is much nicer than Revell's XKE. This kit dates from 1993. It has enough under the hood detailing that I really want to open the hood. Revell even included Dunlop decals for the wheels. So far I have encountered no fix issues. The headlight covers have integral trim rather than the separate trim that caused me major headaches on the XKE. The issues are far to heavy chrome plating, moulded on seat belts, lack of fuel lines and linkage for the triple webers and a lack of rivet detail prominent in all the photos.

My updates for this build are likely to be weeks apart since the assembly sequence is not the greatest. The instructions have you build everything under the hood and then work on the interior and body. However since the lower suspension is moulded as part of the lower body all the engine detail is just going to hanging out there while the body is being worked on and painted. Instead I decided to do a number of subassemblies. Then build the interior, sandwich it between the body halves. Paint the body then work on the front suspension, frame and engine bay. The hood can be done separately.

This is my progress so far:

Wheels and tires are well done and look good after drilling out 35 holes per wheel and applying the Dunlop decals

Both the steering wheel and exhaust cover needed to be drilled and plating removed

The basic engine block and wiring are done. I still need to work on the upper seam on the transmission. The distributor is ready to be wired. However I need to wait until I install the intake which has to be fitted after the block is installed and then the frame added around the block.

With an opening hood the webers looked pretty bare without linkages and fuel lines. Online images show lots of variation on the intake. Tried to make mine look as close to the image from Steve McQueens original car as my skills allowed.

Riveting on the body panels is a prominent feature in all XK SS images. I used Archer Transfer's rivets. After applying them and using Microsol set I primed the panel with Alcalde II. In some images it almost appears that the rivets are unpainted, but that does not make sense to me. So mine will be under the paint. What is puzzling is that on both sides of the body just in front of the rear wheel there are three larger rivets/fasteners. These clearly appear unpainted. If anybody has any information on what these are I'd be grateful.

Since the hood assembly can be worked separately and I'm trying Gravity paints for the first time thanks to a tip from Joel, I did a test shot. It needs to rubbed out once I get some finer grit sanding sponges. It going to be tricky rubbing out the paint and not hitting the rivets.

Thanks for checking out my build so far.
Russ
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 06:29 PM UTC
That is some great work so far Russ, very clean and nice detailing!

I will need to go Googling now, you have me curious about the rivets

Cheers, D
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 02:59 AM UTC
Progress on my XKSS has been very slow, other simpler projects have taken over my workbench. But finally I'm nearing the home stretch, so this is the latest update.

The XKSS has very visible rivets on the body panels. The first image is the rivets under primer and the second under paint. I'm really hesitating polishing the paint for fear of rubbing the paint off the rivets.

Getting the headlight covers to fits was a real challenge. There are no alignment tabs, so it was very much trial and error. I tried using foil for the trim around the covers, but in the end decided to use a marking pen. After all the handling getting the covers to fit the paint still needs a good polish.

This is a shot of the dash. The kit supplied the instrument decals and I punched out covers for the dials. I'm still doing research on the trim around the fuel filler. It is not clear in the images that I have what is painted and what is in natural metal.

Probably most of my effort has gone into the engine bay. With a tilt up bonnet everything is clearly visible. The photos will help me see where I still need to do touchup painting.

My list of remaining tasks:
- Removed the moulded on seat belts
- Join the the upper and lower body and remove the small seam that is not
on the actual car
- Install chrome, external exhaust and wheels
- Polish the paint
- Decide how to attach the bonnet so that it sits tight when closed and is still
removable

Thanks for taking a look at my progress.
- Russ

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 - 09:57 AM UTC
Russ,
You've made great progress. the engine bay looks fantastic from my end.

As for polishing out the paint, I use 6,000-8,000 Micro Mesh pads or sheets depending on the surface texture of the paint. If it feels really smooth to the touch, then I give it a quick rub with 12,000. Tamiya sponges only go up to 3,000 which I use for smoothing out the primer coat. The trick with rivets is to come as close to them as you can, but don't go over them.

Are you going to be using a clearcoat, polished, and waxed?

Joel
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 - 01:38 PM UTC
Joel,

Thanks for stopping by. I always appreciate your opinions. As to polishing. To my eye in the period photos the paint does not appear to be clear coated, so I'm leaning toward just polish and wax. Polishing is going to be tricky avoiding polishing the paint off the rivets.

Two other tricky problems to tackle. There will be a short seam that needs to touched up after joining the upper and lower body halves. In your experience how hard is it to blend in spraying with Gravity paints? The second issue is getting to bonnet to sit tight and still be removable. My current thought is to use a tiny magnet from the 1/32 Tamiya Mustang in my stash. Any experience using magnets?

Russ
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,

Thanks for stopping by. I always appreciate your opinions. As to polishing. To my eye in the period photos the paint does not appear to be clear coated, so I'm leaning toward just polish and wax. Polishing is going to be tricky avoiding polishing the paint off the rivets.

Two other tricky problems to tackle. There will be a short seam that needs to touched up after joining the upper and lower body halves. In your experience how hard is it to blend in spraying with Gravity paints? The second issue is getting to bonnet to sit tight and still be removable. My current thought is to use a tiny magnet from the 1/32 Tamiya Mustang in my stash. Any experience using magnets?

Russ

Russ,
My Pride & Joy 1967 MGB ( I still wish I never sold that car to this day), certainly didn't have any clear coat, as the paint oxidized all the time. I spent equal time with polishing compound before each wax session, which was monthly. the paint really sucked back then.

Whether you decide to clear coat or not is up to you. I've seen the majority of models of all earlier eras looking clear coated. Gloss Lacquer toned down a tad does looks best. 2K looks way to shiny and out of place. Honestly, I'm not sure how polish or wax will effect the Gravity paint, as I use their 3 part polishing kit followed by their wax over Mr. Hobby's C46 gloss clear.

Joel
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 11:02 AM UTC
Well I finally completed the Revell XKSS! The last few months working on the kit really pushed the limits of my skills. Some parts such as the engine, dash, body rivets and wheels came out fine. I spent many hours on the paint polishing and buffing and still it is not as smooth I would have liked. After all the work on the engine I wanted hood to be removable but it would just not sit flat. I finally decided not to use the kit parts for the hood straps and used tape instead. I'm hoping they will hold in the long run. The kit parts for the side window frames are way oversized. After thinking about it I decided it was beyond skills to make replacements and just used the kit parts.

The Playboy and water bottle on the seats are there cover up what used left of removing the molded on seat belts.

Since the XKSS got to be a very on again off again project I completed a few other kits in the meantime. I had both the Tamiya and Hasegawa Honda F1 RA272Eskits in my stash I decided to to build the Hasegawa kit out of the box trying to improve my painting skills. I used Gravity paints Porsche white, rubbed out the paint, decaled and clear coated with Tamiya gloss.

Finally during my recent kit building I gave Mig's Ultra Glue a try. So far I have had great results. It is a white glue that drys clear. It seems to create a much stronger bond than other white glues that I have used. It is thick enough the that after a minute or two it will hold most parts in place. Also the excess cleans off nicely with water before its completely dry. Since I'm an equal opportunity kit builder it looks like it will be great for individual link AFV tracks. I'm trying it on Meng's Bergepanther it creates strong yet flexible bond.

Thanks for stopping by
Russ

Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 12:28 PM UTC
Lovely build on the Jag, Russ. I understandyour frustrations with the painting side of things, it always seems to be my downfall as well.
The Honda came very nicely. It's a popular kit at the moment on this site.

cheers
Michael
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 05:11 PM UTC
Great builds Russ. Clever way to conceal the inmolded seatbelts
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 28, 2019 - 11:55 PM UTC
Nice to see that you have been busy Russ, a couple of great builds there to add to the display!

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 02:39 AM UTC
Russ,
congrats on crossing the finish line with the XKSS Jag. Your engine detailing, specifically the Webbers really adds so much to the build. After seeing how those Archer rivets look, you've convinced me to give them a try as I'm always sanding right through them. Excellent decision not to try and modify the windshield framing. I'm sure that you would succeed, but then what would you do for a windshield?

the Honda 272 looks perfect. Since the car ran only for one year in F1: 1963, I'm going to have to get the Tamiya one as it's 1/20 scale, and will go perfectly with the Lotus 25 which also ran in 1963.

BTW, I watch Jay Leno's garage both on YouTube and now on cable as it just came back on the air. Jay really needs to get on a serious diet. Anyway, I just recently saw the episode with the XKSS Jag, and the car belongs to the Petersen Museum. I've heard that McQueen bought the car as the 3rd owner for $5,000, and it was white. He had it painted the proper BRG, and did have the luggage rack added, just not sure when. Today out of 16 ever built, there are just 12 remaining. When the guy told Leno that the car is valued at 30 million !!! I nearly had my 3rd heart attack.

Joel
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lovely build on the Jag, Russ. I understandyour frustrations with the painting side of things, it always seems to be my downfall as well.
The Honda came very nicely. It's a popular kit at the moment on this site.

cheers
Michael

Michael

Thanks for your comments. It really feels good to finally cross the line on this one.

Cheers
Russ
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great builds Russ. Clever way to conceal the inmolded seatbelts

Jesper,

Thanks, I had thought that I had done a better job removing the molded on belts until I took the first photos after they were installed. By then it was too late. I'm glad I had something to cover them with that did not look too out of place.

Cheers
Russ
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice to see that you have been busy Russ, a couple of great builds there to add to the display!

Cheers, D

D,

Glad you liked the builds.

Cheers
Russ
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ,
congrats on crossing the finish line with the XKSS Jag. Your engine detailing, specifically the Webbers really adds so much to the build. After seeing how those Archer rivets look, you've convinced me to give them a try as I'm always sanding right through them. Excellent decision not to try and modify the windshield framing. I'm sure that you would succeed, but then what would you do for a windshield?

the Honda 272 looks perfect. Since the car ran only for one year in F1: 1963, I'm going to have to get the Tamiya one as it's 1/20 scale, and will go perfectly with the Lotus 25 which also ran in 1963.

BTW, I watch Jay Leno's garage both on YouTube and now on cable as it just came back on the air. Jay really needs to get on a serious diet. Anyway, I just recently saw the episode with the XKSS Jag, and the car belongs to the Petersen Museum. I've heard that McQueen bought the car as the 3rd owner for $5,000, and it was white. He had it painted the proper BRG, and did have the luggage rack added, just not sure when. Today out of 16 ever built, there are just 12 remaining. When the guy told Leno that the car is valued at 30 million !!! I nearly had my 3rd heart attack.

Joel

Joel,

Thanks for stopping by. I'm pleased with both the rivets and Webbers. I spent several hours watching videos of Jay Leno's XKSS online. McQueen's XKSS is very interesting. In most of the photos there is no luggage rack, side window frames or top. The reference that is the closest to my build is the one covering the continuation cars that Jaguar recently built.

I have been following your builds and can feel your pain with age catching up to me also. I tried to beat the carpet monster eating parts by installing Pergo flooring under and around my work bench. I'm always amazed at how far parts bounce!

I'm not sure if I'm a glutton for punishment but I'm seriously considering Tamiya's updated 1/12 Porsche 934 that is about to be rerelease. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Russ
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 06:08 AM UTC
Russ,
As far as how far parts can bounce, my modeling/computer room is carpeted, and my wife threatened to kill me if I removed it for a hard floor. Even with the carpet, the bounce distance is more then world class. the other issue is that the carpet doesn't bounce the parts in the same direction, but in places and at angles that I thought would be impossible, and surely breaks all the laws of Physics.

With your skill set, I can easily see you turning the reissue of the 1/12 scale Porsche 934 RS Turbo into a masterpiece. I hear that there's already some excellent AM being released, or will be released shortly.

Joel

slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ,
As far as how far parts can bounce, my modeling/computer room is carpeted, and my wife threatened to kill me if I removed it for a hard floor. Even with the carpet, the bounce distance is more then world class. the other issue is that the carpet doesn't bounce the parts in the same direction, but in places and at angles that I thought would be impossible, and surely breaks all the laws of Physics.

With your skill set, I can easily see you turning the reissue of the 1/12 scale Porsche 934 RS Turbo into a masterpiece. I hear that there's already some excellent AM being released, or will be released shortly.

Joel

Joel,

I was lucky my wife was ok with covering the carpet. It means spills never hit the carpet. As for the bounce four feet is about average and a lot go six feet in any direction. Some sessions I spend more time on the floor than actually building. I'll see about the Porsche, it is pricey and shipping cost are outrageous.

Cheers
Russ
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 07:06 AM UTC
Russ,
I have no need to worry about paint spills, as I've already had a few. The trick is not telling my wife about them.

I just checked Spot Models and they're selling the kit as a pre-order for $147. Not sure about shipping costs.

Joel
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ,
I have no need to worry about paint spills, as I've already had a few. The trick is not telling my wife about them.

I just checked Spot Models and they're selling the kit as a pre-order for $147. Not sure about shipping costs.

Joel

Joel,

HobbyEasy had it on per-order for $139 and $50. I have had good luck with ordering from them in the past. I get a tracking number and usually get it here on the West Coast in about a week. Often the Post Office takes longer to get it to my house then from Hong Kong to SFO.

Russ

Russ
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 12:38 PM UTC
I hope you get it Russ. I have the old Martini 935 1/12 from when they re-released it. It would be great to see the orange Jägermeister built.

cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 01:28 AM UTC
Russ,
I can't wait to follow your build. It's going to be one for the books for sure.

Joel
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russ,

Joel

Ok, wife says that is my Christmas present! On pre-order at HobbyEasy.

Cheers
Russ
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Russ,

Joel

Ok, wife says that is my Christmas present! On pre-order at HobbyEasy.

Cheers

Russ

Russ,
Your one lucky guy. All I ever get from my wife for Xmas is the bills.

Joel
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 - 01:33 PM UTC
Hi Russ, back in the beginning of this post you mention the large amount of work you put into the XKSS engine bay - it looks to have been really worth the effort on the final - looks great -

Cheers
Nick
 _GOTOTOP