_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Zero Paints
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 05:57 AM UTC
I get mixed vibes on Zero Paints, mostly regarding delivery delays. Those who use Zero with regularity, can you share your opinions?
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I get mixed vibes on Zero Paints, mostly regarding delivery delays. Those who use Zero with regularity, can you share your opinions?

Patrick,
I've used Zero paints, and honestly they seem the equal to Gravity paints as they're formulated the same way from manufacture's specs. But there the similarities end.

As I noted in my other post, Gravity of Spain is the class of the field by far. Fantastic service, real people to talk to/email with, and not a single issue ever. Gravity of Florida, which is now a separate company is a true nightmare to deal with. You can wait months and months for your order, never get it, no customer service, etc. There are so many threads about their service on the various model sites it's just plain scary. I had to have Pay Pal get my refund. My old order is still listed as pending. "nough" said.

Unfortunately, Zero paints is another disaster for us in the USA. Their world wide retail network is setup as one or two distributors per country depending on the size of the country. The USA had two distributors: East & West but now only one. And their service is abysmal. Specifically out of stocks. I've checked weekly for needed colors, clears, etc, and once OOS, it could be months or even a year before it's back in stock, and usually just as quickly out of stock again. Min size orders on the whse level is most likely the cause. I've tried to order from other online outlets in other countries, but they won't ship to the USA as per their contracts. So the USA based Hobbyworld USA is hit and miss, and just not worth the effort.

Joel
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 03:46 AM UTC
Joel,
very appreciative of your insight on these paints. Sounds like two potential hits but poor marketing in the US.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi Patrick

I've just ordered my first Zero Paints. Quoted delivery looks good, but I'll let you know how things go.

All the best

Rowan
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 10:29 AM UTC
fingers crossed!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi Patrick

I don't what the delivery would be like from the US distributor, but it was exceptionally quick from Hiroboy here in the UK. Unfortunately, from what Joel's posted, they can't ship to you in the States...

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 04:54 AM UTC
Patrick,
You live in Pennsylvania, so we're basically neighbors. Gravity of Spain will get you your order in 3 days. Shipping is reasonable as long as you order a min of 3 bottles. I always end up ordering more as I order all the paints needed for all my builds ahead of time.

Joel
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,
You live in Pennsylvania, so we're basically neighbors. Gravity of Spain will get you your order in 3 days. Shipping is reasonable as long as you order a min of 3 bottles. I always end up ordering more as I order all the paints needed for all my builds ahead of time.

Joel

Well, now I'm a little confused. I thought the Spain company would not ship to the US. If they do, I will certainly try it.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Patrick,

Joel

Well, now I'm a little confused. I thought the Spain company would not ship to the US. If they do, I will certainly try it.

Patrick,

sorry that I missed your post.

It's Zero paints that won't ship to another country if they have a online presence in a particular country.

Gravity paints was only two operations:

Spain which I believe was the original company, and Gravity of Florida owned by Mate~. Spain has fantastic service, and you almost get your paints in 3 days, as every one of my orders has been delivered by. Never missed yet. Even my friends in Australia got 3 day service!

Florida was, and still is the issue. The service is horrendous as I've stated numerous times. There are so many threads on Mate business issues and problems, it's not even funny.

Both companies apparently sued each other, and Spain changed their name as a result, but you have to look very carefully to see the difference.

So deal with Gravity of Spain, and you'll never look back.

Joel
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 06:33 AM UTC
Thanks Joel! I did order several Porsche specific paints from Spain. Shipping was a surprise because it wasn't outrageous and almost too fast for me (almost!). Can't figure out why getting something from Tokyo takes 10 times longer than from Malaga.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 09:49 AM UTC
Patrick,
For one, we're both 3,000 closer to the shipper. Gravity ships DHL, and both they and Spain don't seem to have the no fly rules for hazardous materials. All the Oriental airlines have the same rules as we do, and paints go by boat. You do recall the old saying: "A slow boat from China"

Glad it worked out for you. You're going to love the paints.

Joel
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 - 10:28 AM UTC
I hope they are good! Price is right and I've purchased paints for gulf 917, Piper 917, and several other Porsches. Now, to find that Maraschino paint for my Audi.....
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope they are good! Price is right and I've purchased paints for gulf 917, Piper 917, and several other Porsches. Now, to find that Maraschino paint for my Audi.....

Patrick,
I can assure you that the Gravity paints are way better then just good. As Tony The Tiger from Kellogg's says: They're GREAT !!

With that being said, how you paint and the prep/primer is are the two other sides of the painting triangle.

For prep I rub down the shell with #800 or 1,000 wet to give the primer a perfect surface to bite into.

Primer is the key as the Gravity paints need a primer coat as they're so thin. I thin my primer just like the color coats. then a rub with a #3,000 grit sponge.

I'm a firm believer in a .5mm needle setup so I can apply controlled even wet coats at a flow rate of 16 psi.

Looking forward to seeing how the Gravity paints worked for you.

Joel

bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 07:46 AM UTC
Pretty much the same method I use, though I have been using 2000 grit sponge on the primer with lots of water and a drop of dish detergent. I'm assuming I can use any quality primer. I really prefer Tamiya for primer.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pretty much the same method I use, though I have been using 2000 grit sponge on the primer with lots of water and a drop of dish detergent. I'm assuming I can use any quality primer. I really prefer Tamiya for primer.

Patrick,
I have in Tamiya Sponges 1,000, 1,500, 2,000, & 3,000, then I go into the Micro Mesh pads and sheets. Honestly, I can't see any difference between both the 1st two, and then the last two. The key is wet paper and wet bodies.

I tried dishwashing liquid, and while it acts like a lubricant, what you think by touch is smooth, once washed and dried wasn't for me. So I stopped using it.

The key is light easy sanding, Heavy will cause way to much paint removal, or even right through it. Same for high spots like rivets and outside corners. Just don't go over them.

I've made every mistake and error you can think of, and repainting or repriming is a no brainer for me these days. No different then seeing areas that need work and then repriming.

Choice of primer is up to you as long as it's a lacquer base. I prefer Mr. Hobby's 1,500 in light Gray and Black. I also use Tamiya White primer. I just thin them differently so the end result is the same. 2:3 Tamiya Primer to #400 leveling Thinner or Yellow Cap. Mr. Hobby Thinners 1:1. I like the Tamiya Gray for final filling with a brush as it's so thick.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP