_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Shine and Show and Other
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hello (model) car enthusiasts.

A few weeks ago I went to place that features a couple of local breweries, a winery, a distillery, and not one, but TWO vodka distillers (Hangar 1 and St George) all within walking/stumbling distance of one another. Turns out to be a pretty popular place - especially on a sunny Saturday - Please see below -some nice rides. D, you'll note more than a few from the "bowtie" family!

And, I built a yellow Ford and scratch built a trailer. I decided I liked that bright yellow:

The Meng kit is really nice - easy to put together. In fact, a bit too easy, so I was obliged to add a scratch built, 4" lift kit. I used square brass tubing to make the drop hitch and trailer tongue - it won't break.

Ok, back to work and eventually more models - I'm doing another GT 40 - this time a MKII - it think I like the looks of the MK IV more -we'll see -in the midst of cutting the body up (salvaged from another project) and a variety of others - ideally most with tedious amounts of detail.

Happy model building -

Nick

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 - 09:26 AM UTC
Nick,
Thanks for posting all those pics from the car show. While I'm more of a Ford man, the Bowtie crowd sure had something for everyone.

Nice job on that Ford Pick up truck, and scratch built trailer. Really looks quite impressive. As for the GT40 MK IV, it was the last of the factory LeMans cars with the big Nascar 427 engines as the FIA (with Ferrari's insisting) changed the rules to just 5 liters, so it was back to the GT MK II with the 289 engines run by semi private teams, most notably John Wyler's Gulf team. Sure looks like you did an excellent job on that build. Is it the Fujimi kit?

Joel
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 - 03:13 PM UTC
Hi Joel - the car on the trailer is a heavily modified Renaissance MK IV, while the project in the works is a cut up merger of two Fujimi kits. I’ve got some really detailed kits lined up, so, I’m trying to hone my skills in advance! As to the bow tie etc - for sentimental reasons (my dad is a Buick fan) I’m a GM fan...but, I’d be as pleased w/ a big block ford or a big block, nail head Buick (w/ dual carters!)

The cars in the pics were pretty nice - I’m not a low rider guy - but these cats did some clean work.

Nick
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 - 04:14 PM UTC
Some beautiful classics on s display there Nick, I would have drooled uncontrollably over every one of them Many thanks for sharing your images.

I love your yellow build combo as well, great work !

Cheers, D
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 10:40 PM UTC
I love those lowriders! American cars don't really appeal to me but there is something special about those long, low slung convertibles. Your yellow truck trailer combo is something special. Great to see your builds displayed like that. What car donated the red bodied special?

cheers
Michael
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi Damian and Michael,

Yes - quite a show of vintage horsepower! I'm not a low rider guy per se but do like a quality project - 55 Chevy, or 93 Nissan drifter lol -

Glad "big yellow" is passing the "eye" test too - Again, if any of you want to build the Meng kit -it goes together really well!

OK - Michael, yes, about the red car...it was a Ferrari 250....a highly detailed kit at that, but when it arrived, there was a problem:

it's not supposed to be a convertible!! and unhappily, the pillar breaks were quite rough -so, not worthy of the real deal - so, the manufacturer sent me new body, for the kit -very nice.

That left me with a not great body. Wondering what to do with it made me think of a company called Local Motors, and their Rally Fighter. Take some time and look these guys up. This is the Rally Fighter:

V-8 powered, off-road pre runner, designed and built by Local Motors - remarkable story - and, so I went to work. The repaired pillars are reinforced with lead foil, look OK< but not great -at all, but fine for this:

The real Rally Fighter has a solid rear axle, but I opted for an independent rear end.

And that's the story of the red car.

thanks for having a look

Nick

Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 - 07:51 PM UTC
That's excellent repurposing! And nice story about Local models. It would be cool to be involved with one of those, but for offroad not sure a LSV3 motor is the most practical choice. If you can use all 480 horses offroad you're a brave driver.

cheers
Michael
 _GOTOTOP