_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
AMG GT3 - Moded
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Auto Modeler: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 - 11:17 PM UTC
This is definitely out of my comfort zone. But, what the heck! Here it is. This is my version of the AMG GT3 race car. As always, I like to give all my builds a twist in terms of design and/or configuration. The amg gt3 is no exception. My theme for this build is, that, the amg gt3 was originally a competition car, which was bought by private owner. He decides to tweak the car to extreme to see how much power he can get out of the engine. Hence all the added gagets almost protruding through the car headlights(which of course, were removed to make room for the added accessories). The rear lights were also removed and replaced with netting. The windshield was removed to reduced the weight of the car. New gagets were also added all round and in the internal compartments, of the car. The roof was removed as well as the rear glass. In its place extra support for the protective cage at the rear was added. And as you might have notice, I sawed off the doors as well. The look of the AMG GT3 is bad*ss car. Now, it looks brutal.

-------------------

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 01:01 AM UTC
Charles,
I love the AMG-GT3 car as it's used in racing series from Europe through the USA, and in Asia as well. It's a brute on the track for sure.

Your concept of a private owner taking the car in a whole new direction is something I've never really seen before, but you've succeeded to the nth degree.

The level of added details in the cockpit alone is just mind boggling. You've built the rear of the roll bar to a level that should withstand just about any impact. And all those body modifications have just transformed the car into something completely different.

Is the concept completely fictional, or is there a real life contemporary car, and/or a class that races these beasts?

In any event, you've more then succeeded in creating another build up to your high standards. If one didn't know it was a model, the odds of them assuming it was a real car would be pretty good.

I'd love to see what you can achieve within the concept of the Ford Blue Circle campaign starting in Oct. Have you given joining us any thought?

Joel
LonCray
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Auto Modeler: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 05:29 AM UTC
It's a great concept and a beautiful model. My nit to pick is: without a windshield, having a birdstrike or a flung rock or even a big bug is dangerous and possibly fatal to the driver. Also, unless the driver's helmet is locked to his seat somehow (like NASCAR in the US), wind buffeting is going to be brutal at speed. Perhaps a small half-windshield (like cars from the 1920's occasionally had) would fix this?
I guess a second nit might be that those big open holes where the headlights used to be aren't necessarily good for aerodynamics. Just my thoughts; it's certainly better than anything I'm capable of building.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles,
I love the AMG-GT3 car as it's used in racing series from Europe through the USA, and in Asia as well. It's a brute on the track for sure.

Your concept of a private owner taking the car in a whole new direction is something I've never really seen before, but you've succeeded to the nth degree.

The level of added details in the cockpit alone is just mind boggling. You've built the rear of the roll bar to a level that should withstand just about any impact. And all those body modifications have just transformed the car into something completely different.

Is the concept completely fictional, or is there a real life contemporary car, and/or a class that races these beasts?

In any event, you've more then succeeded in creating another build up to your high standards. If one didn't know it was a model, the odds of them assuming it was a real car would be pretty good.

I'd love to see what you can achieve within the concept of the Ford Blue Circle campaign starting in Oct. Have you given joining us any thought?

Joel

Thank you kindly. As far as I know there is not a real life car but there are folks, who do extreme tuning of their cars that look similar to mine. The idea I got from a 3D designer's drawing of a car(it looked almost like the AMG, but it was another brand, probably a Mustang) that was similar in design.

As for the campaign, do you have a direct link, so I can take a look?
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a great concept and a beautiful model. My nit to pick is: without a windshield, having a birdstrike or a flung rock or even a big bug is dangerous and possibly fatal to the driver. Also, unless the driver's helmet is locked to his seat somehow (like NASCAR in the US), wind buffeting is going to be brutal at speed. Perhaps a small half-windshield (like cars from the 1920's occasionally had) would fix this?
I guess a second nit might be that those big open holes where the headlights used to be aren't necessarily good for aerodynamics. Just my thoughts; it's certainly better than anything I'm capable of building.

I didn't say it was perfect design. I'm just testing creativity. Most extreme tuning cars I've seen done by owners are over the edge at times. I'm just trying to replicate what most speed devils would do in a situation like this. Probably not ideal but Brutal looks, it takes the cake.
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 - 07:39 PM UTC
That's an amazing piece of modification Charles! I am sure even Mercedes would approve.
Thinking about Lee's comment on danger to the driver through a lack windscreen I don't think the turbulence would be much of a factor given there are no screens at all or doors so other than that the danger should be no different to an open wheel driver or a motorcyclist.
Looking forward to more of your imagination.

cheers
Michael
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's an amazing piece of modification Charles! I am sure even Mercedes would approve.
Thinking about Lee's comment on danger to the driver through a lack windscreen I don't think the turbulence would be much of a factor given there are no screens at all or doors so other than that the danger should be no different to an open wheel driver or a motorcyclist.
Looking forward to more of your imagination.

cheers
Michael

Good point and observation Michael. Thank you.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 06:24 AM UTC
Charles,
Here's the link to the Ford Oval campaign. Basically anything built by Ford with either the Oval Emblem and or the name FORD on the car, qualifies it.

Sure hope you're interested in coming along for the ride. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Joel
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 12:11 PM UTC
Lovely work once again Charles, a great eye for detail and creativity.

I also love the dark alter-ego, "Darth Stig" perhaps?

Looking forward to your next project.

BTW, the Blue Oval Group Build sign-up page is HERE and the lead-up discussion thread is HERE . I'm not sure what happened with the link in Joel's post above.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - 11:57 PM UTC
D,
Thanks for saving me from myself. Odds are I just plain old forgot to add the links. Once again I need to claim old age as the reason.

Joel
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles,
Here's the link to the Ford Oval campaign. Basically anything built by Ford with either the Oval Emblem and or the name FORD on the car, qualifies it.

Sure hope you're interested in coming along for the ride. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Joel

Something must have happened. No link.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 04:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lovely work once again Charles, a great eye for detail and creativity.

I also love the dark alter-ego, "Darth Stig" perhaps?

Looking forward to your next project.

BTW, the Blue Oval Group Build sign-up page is HERE and the lead-up discussion thread is HERE . I'm not sure what happened with the link in Joel's post above.

Cheers, D

Thank you Damian for the link and comments. Will check out the campaign.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 04:11 AM UTC
A pity the campaign id a not a scifi theme. Otherwise I could have entered this Ford GT Anti-Gravity build.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 10:43 AM UTC
Charles,
Wow !! But you couldn't have started it till 10/1

The Ford Gt is just amazing.

Joel
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles,
Wow !! But you couldn't have started it till 10/1

The Ford Gt is just amazing.

Joel

I figured so Joel. I was just playing around.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 12:45 AM UTC
Charles,
I sure wish I could play around at that level. but I'm not even close.

Joel
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2019 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles,
I sure wish I could play around at that level. but I'm not even close.

Joel

Appreciate the words of encouragement.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 12:09 AM UTC
That is one mean looking machine Charles.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 - 01:42 AM UTC
Ganassi Racing runs the Ford IMSA Endurance program as it campaigns the Ford GTs. I'm sure that he'd love to have front brakes that big on his cars. They'd surely stop on literally a dime from nearly 200 mph.

Joel
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is one mean looking machine Charles.

Thank you kindly. glad you liked it.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ganassi Racing runs the Ford IMSA Endurance program as it campaigns the Ford GTs. I'm sure that he'd love to have front brakes that big on his cars. They'd surely stop on literally a dime from nearly 200 mph.

Joel

HaHa! Thanks for that.
 _GOTOTOP