The not the Blue Oval GB - Ford Raptor build
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 07:17 AM UTC
Made some progress on the Raptor.
Interior done and most all but the chassis painted. A few details on the chassis bits and wheels to accomplish still though.

Body shell ready for a second coat of primer later today.

Interior of the bed will be flat black to replicate a bedliner.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 08:03 AM UTC
David,
Looking real good so far. The bottom of the chassis has enough variations of black to make those various parts just pop out.

Will you be adding any texture to the bed before the Flat black liner?

Joel
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 10:00 AM UTC
Hi David,

Very nice work on the interior and chassis! Should be a good looking truck. I was in Southern California a few days last week and saw a few of these running around - look good in real life too

Cheers
Nick
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
Looking real good so far. The bottom of the chassis has enough variations of black to make those various parts just pop out.

Joel

Thanks Joel, The effect is complete then, with the exception of the rotors that undercarriage is all one piece. I'm going to use a thicker paint mix and intentionally cause it to be grainy. I've used this technique before with good success.

Quoted Text

Hi David,

Very nice work on the interior and chassis! Should be a good looking truck. I was in Southern California a few days last week and saw a few of these running around - look good in real life too

Cheers
Nick

Thanks Nick, I have a 2009 F-150 which is the base model the Raptors were born from. The Ford dealer a couple miles from can't seem to keep them in stock, there are a new batch there just about every week.

Rumor is that they are going to have a 7.3L V8 as well as the twin turbo V6 for mid 2020 model year.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Auto Modeler: 555 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2019 - 04:19 PM UTC
Looks like you're off to a great start. Good luck!
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 - 12:29 PM UTC
David, "some progress" it is a real understatement!
That build of yours is nearly ready for the final assembly.
Glad to see you progressing that fast!

Gabriel
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 - 06:22 PM UTC
Looks great David. Keep up the good work.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 - 11:48 PM UTC
Lovely work so far David, this build is moving quickly and looking great! The black/silver interior is spot on, and like the other guys have pointed out, the underside detailing works very nicely.

Looking forward to the next update!

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 12:08 AM UTC
Thanks all.

Gabriel, the body shell painting is going to be a long process as there are multiple shades of black and aluminum that need to be done once the Grabber Blue main color is on and cleared.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 07:36 AM UTC
Got the initial coat of blue laid down last night, no pics though. Hopped on a plane to Detroit this morning. Not home until Saturday night late. At least the paint will be completely off gassed by then. Will determine if it needs more when I sand it or if I can go straight to clearcoat.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 05:17 AM UTC
If work slows down today I should be able to take some update pictures.

All that is left is final assembly and some detail painting.

I really like the way the Gravity laid down and I barely had to sand between the two coats of Mr. Color Clear too.

Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 09:52 AM UTC
Had time to take a quick couple shots, not the best, but better than nothing.

The blue came out OK and even without polishing is reflecting the lines on the mat. Color difference is a little stark for my liking but this is supposed to be a test.

The texture in the bed worked pretty well. MM Aircraft Interior Black and sprayed at a pressure that made the paint slightly dry before it hit.

Still need to finish the marker lights, Ford script on the tailgate, high mount brake light, install the windows, and everything else.

Trying to not do what I usually do. Rush to finish and end up screwing something up.......
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 09:57 AM UTC
Just noticed I forgot to mask and paint the fender side vents and tailgate handle too.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 - 11:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just noticed I forgot to mask and paint the fender side vents and tailgate handle too.

Those little things that you pick up are so frustrating! Really tight work on the paint job here David, I love it! The blue finish is beautifully smooth and the masking is spot on around the black areas.

Looking forward to more progress.

Cheers, D
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 02:21 PM UTC
Hi David - your Raptor is looking good! Nice paintwork all around - really looking forward to seeing it built up!

Cheers
Nick
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 02, 2019 - 11:51 PM UTC
Thanks Nick and D.

Should have pics late today. Final assembly and touchup was done last night. Will probably add in the panel lines and shoot it this afternoon. I have family coming over around mid-day.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 08:48 AM UTC
Finished pictures. Came out better than I expected for a $12.00 Snap-Tite curbside kit.

I am now a fan of the Gravity paints and will be using them (or Zero or MCW) on all future auto builds.

Added some detailing based on having an F-150, the biggest let down for me is the taillight lenses. The 1:1 scale ones are mostly clear with the center of the upper and lower sections in red and silver showing through all around the border and dividing the lens in half. I guess whoever owns this one replaced them with LED ones. I wish they had them molded in clear as an option. The ICC marker lights (required due to vehicle width) are LED on the full size and look clear/silver and glow with amber or red depending on front or rear

Should look like this instead.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 11:03 AM UTC
Beautiful build David, really nice work! With some care those Snap-Tite kits can produce great results. The underside detail and body mouldings look very crisp as well as the rims and tyre treads.

Did you consider masking and painting a chrome surround on those tail lights? Was there any sort of raised profile for the upper and lower lens areas?

Looking forward to your Bronco now. Are you posting the Viper build as well?

Cheers, D
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2019 - 11:30 AM UTC
Thanks D. I thought about it on the tail lights, but they are just undetailed red pieces. If you look at the bed pictures you can see that they included all the inner detail needed, but ruined it with the chunk of red plastic. I toyed with the idea of getting some 1mm/.040" clear sheet and bending it to match the curve then trying to cut it to size. In the end I just wanted it done. The front headlight buckets have all the inner detail as well and I just needed to mask off and paint the amber reflector area. You can't see it in the picture but there is an amber bulb in the front turn signal recess below the headlight.

The Viper Mk 1 is being built for a GB on Modelgeek. We could always use more modelers there too.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi David,

I really like your Raptor - turned out really nice. Hard to believe it’s a snap kit. Too bad about the tailights, that lack of detail here and there seems to be fairly common.

I guess if you really like the build (a lot!) you could pry them off, mask them and paint the trim, or pry them off and use/overlay lead or aluminum foil to represent the chrome trim, but both of those “great” ideas would take a lot of patience to get right and might not be worth the headache!

Looking forward to you next project

Cheers
Nick
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 08:45 AM UTC
Thanks Nick. The chrome surround is actually clear plastic showing the inside of the taillight bucket and the reverse lamp in the middle. I didn't glue the red lenses on (they clicked in nicely), so if I ever decide to try something, my options are open.
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Auto Modeler: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2019 - 05:46 PM UTC
David - I understand your comment regarding the taillights but my read on them upon seeing your finished model was that they had been given the cool "black lexan" treatment. Where dark smoked plexiglass has been laid over the stock taillight for a "blacked out" effect.

So I thought it was intentional and that it looked very sharp!

p.s. Perhaps do a "dark smoke" treatment over the front headlights as well????
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 03:39 AM UTC
Thanks Michael, Maybe it is the old guy in me, but why would anyone want dimmer headlights?
165thspc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Auto Modeler: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 04:15 AM UTC
Well #1 - I don't understand either but lots of guys do it.
#2 - in all honesty a lot of headlights these days are too bright anyway.

( Personal Opinion Commercial )
Yes they help the driver see but what good is that if they blind the on coming driver so much he hits you?
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Auto Modeler: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David,

Joel

Thanks Joel, The effect is complete then, with the exception of the rotors that undercarriage is all one piece. I'm going to use a thicker paint mix and intentionally cause it to be grainy. I've used this technique before with good success.

Quoted Text

Hi David,

Cheers
Nick

Thanks Nick, I have a 2009 F-150 which is the base model the Raptors were born from. The Ford dealer a couple miles from can't seem to keep them in stock, there are a new batch there just about every week.

Rumor is that they are going to have a 7.3L V8 as well as the twin turbo V6 for mid 2020 model year.

My brother has a supercharged Raptor. He's been jealous of my 03 Lightning since I bought it new August 03. He may have a bit more power than me but I'm a hellofa lot faster.

Nice build btw.
 _GOTOTOP