_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
911 GT1 quick build
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 11:45 AM UTC
Hello model folk -

After a recent debacle with some decals (not sticking, fracturing etc, but easy shapes/patterns, damaged ego etc), I decided to try again, but this time with some not easy decals, those on a Tamiya Porsche 911 GT1. I added some details, but not over the top.

I'll explain more about the build below, but before, while I really like Tamiya kits, I've found they never really go all the way with rear suspensions, often leaving big spaced between parts that should be connected, so I connect them:

This is brass rod. I flattened the end with pliers, then drilled the ends out, below a piece that failed - note how far off-center the hole is:

and in use:

Ok, now I feel much better.

On to the build, not as "simple" as a typical Tamiya kit (though high quality as always). It turns out that there are several related and connected parts, including a portion of the engine/cage, air intake, and roll cage, that are hard to coordinate. This is very odd for a Tamiya kit - the air intake, which is mounted atop the engine doesn't have clear locating points - which is relevant because if too far back, the rear lid won't close, and too far forward, the mounting points between the roll cage and firewall become asymmetrical, causing a slight warp to the chassis, which means, it won't sit flat on all four.

While not a massive failure etc, it does require some patience to resolve.

OK, chassis engine stuff:

Nice! the Tamiya results you want!

and, with some body parts:

Ok, I feel better about decals again, haha! yes, this has lots of them!

And, for scale:

wow - both 1/24!

Thanks for having a look:

Nick

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 12:56 PM UTC
Lovely work as always Nick. It's hilarious how your "Quick Build" is more detailed than all of my builds

Cheers, D
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 03:16 PM UTC
Nick,
I'm publically posting for all to see that I intend to "borrow" your method for making rods. Damn, do they look good.

The engine/transmission compartment is truly well detailed, and painted to make so many details just pop. Are those lines from the Trans part of the kit, or scratched by you?

Paint looks perfect, and I'm totally speechless how you nailed that paint scheme with not the easiest to work with Tamiya decals. The brake air vents really look super.

Looking forward to your next major project.

Joel
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2020 - 06:24 PM UTC
Amazing build Nick. Decal work is spectacular.
the rod making method is noted, in my little notebook
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 80 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2020 - 12:02 AM UTC
Excellent build. I'm adding the rod building to my skills ASAP. Thanks for the post.
 _GOTOTOP