_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Issue with Spot Models
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 04:38 AM UTC
I've been a long time customer of Spot Models from Spain as they have one of the best selections of model race cars outside of the Orient. Unfortunately, their shipment charges have always been horrendous to the point that I'm forced to use their PO to the USPS, which still costs about $20 for a single model and some paint masks.

I live on Long Island so the port of entry is NYC for shipments from Spain. The average order takes 3 weeks and once the USPS gets the package, there's literally no up to date tracking until delivery to my house.

5 weeks ago I placed an order for 1 model, and a masking set, with the usual shipping as UPS starts at $50. To this date I've yet to receive my order. Tracking stopped as soon as my package left Spain, and 3 plus weeks I finally got an update from the USPS that it would be delivered on the next day. Now considering that my package was shipped to Pittsburgh Penn, only to be reshipped back to NYC made little sense. Naturally I never received my package. The date was removed and just the standard stupid your package is on it's way to the next destination now shows in the tracking information.

I've been in touch with Spot Customer service which has only replied to one email that it would open a tracing inquiry which doesn't help me get my package. After the USPS update that they have my package, I once again sent them a email as to the status. And naturally, never heard a word from them.

I've sent two more emails about a replacement and then a refund, of which neither has been replied to, so now I'm opening a PayPal complaint.

Whether or not I ever get my model, or a refund, I'll never deal with Spot Models again. They have consistently the worst customer service and shipping charges that are ridiculous to say the least. Personally, I rather wait the 3 weeks and deal with HLJ or Grand Prix Models in Great Britten.

If Gravity paints also located in Spain can ship my paint orders which weigh more then a plastic model via DHL for what Spot charges for their Postal Service shipping, and get it every single time within 3 days, something just doesn't seem right. Of course Spot doesn't deal with DHL. Gee, I wonder why.

Joel
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Auto Modeler: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been a long time customer of Spot Models from Spain as they have one of the best selections of model race cars outside of the Orient. Unfortunately, their shipment charges have always been horrendous to the point that I'm forced to use their PO to the USPS, which still costs about $20 for a single model and some paint masks.

I live on Long Island so the port of entry is NYC for shipments from Spain. The average order takes 3 weeks and once the USPS gets the package, there's literally no up to date tracking until delivery to my house.

5 weeks ago I placed an order for 1 model, and a masking set, with the usual shipping as UPS starts at $50. To this date I've yet to receive my order. Tracking stopped as soon as my package left Spain, and 3 plus weeks I finally got an update from the USPS that it would be delivered on the next day. Now considering that my package was shipped to Pittsburgh Penn, only to be reshipped back to NYC made little sense. Naturally I never received my package. The date was removed and just the standard stupid your package is on it's way to the next destination now shows in the tracking information.

I've been in touch with Spot Customer service which has only replied to one email that it would open a tracing inquiry which doesn't help me get my package. After the USPS update that they have my package, I once again sent them a email as to the status. And naturally, never heard a word from them.

I've sent two more emails about a replacement and then a refund, of which neither has been replied to, so now I'm opening a PayPal complaint.

Whether or not I ever get my model, or a refund, I'll never deal with Spot Models again. They have consistently the worst customer service and shipping charges that are ridiculous to say the least. Personally, I rather wait the 3 weeks and deal with HLJ or Grand Prix Models in Great Britten.

If Gravity paints also located in Spain can ship my paint orders which weigh more then a plastic model via DHL for what Spot charges for their Postal Service shipping, and get it every single time within 3 days, something just doesn't seem right. Of course Spot doesn't deal with DHL. Gee, I wonder why.

Joel

You need to remember every thing is delayed by the virus issues. The number of flights are a fraction of what they normally are and parcels are being shipped on a priority basis. If your package is in the US, it's being held up by the postal service. If it's still in Europe it will ship when they get to lower priority packages. I placed a order out of China before they banned everything but the vendor didn't get it shipped in time. I've been in communication with him and he offered me a refund but I told him to ship when he can, I'll wait.

PayPal should be able to track your package but remember international shipping is screwed up.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 06:11 AM UTC
Patrick,
My issue with Spot models is both their horrendous shipping fees, and their complete lack of customer service.

My Gravity paint order was placed the same day as my Spot order as I don't order paints from Spot Models. Gravity shipped the same day but uses DHL, and I got my package in 3 days.

I would have opted for UPS over their/ours postal systems, but Spot UPS shipping starts at nearly $50. Fed Ex is the same.

Spot has done absolutely nothing to resolve my issue other then saying it will open up a tracking claim, which doesn't help as my package is constant shipment within the USPS system which makes no sense as it comes into NY then to Pittsburgh to be shipped back to NYC?

My issues with them precedes the pandemic. Customer service is spotty at best, and rarely replies to your email.

The bottom line is that 5 weeks and still no package is just plain unacceptable. At this point I've notified them that I want a return authorization whenever the package does arrive.

Joel
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,
My issue with Spot models is both their horrendous shipping fees, and their complete lack of customer service.

My Gravity paint order was placed the same day as my Spot order as I don't order paints from Spot Models. Gravity shipped the same day but uses DHL, and I got my package in 3 days.

I would have opted for UPS over their/ours postal systems, but Spot UPS shipping starts at nearly $50. Fed Ex is the same.

Spot has done absolutely nothing to resolve my issue other then saying it will open up a tracking claim, which doesn't help as my package is constant shipment within the USPS system which makes no sense as it comes into NY then to Pittsburgh to be shipped back to NYC?

My issues with them precedes the pandemic. Customer service is spotty at best, and rarely replies to your email.

The bottom line is that 5 weeks and still no package is just plain unacceptable. At this point I've notified them that I want a return authorization whenever the package does arrive.

Joel

Never heard of Spot models, and now that I've heard, I'll stay away!
I had a single issue with another company based in Ireland but that was totally the fault of the Postal Office from SXM. The aggravating problem was - again - poor communication and lack of answer from the Company I bought from that made me open a PP suit. Fortunately, I retrieved the parcel with minutes to spare before PP arbitrage should have begun.

Gabriel
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 06:49 AM UTC
I'll order stuff out of Portland Oregon or SoCal and track the package to Nebraska or the east coast before it starts heading towards the PacNorthwest. You'd think it would be easier to send it right up the coast to me but they send it to their hub first. That's UPS, DHL and USPS. Makes no sense to normal people but it must make sense to them.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi Joel,

I'm sorry to hear this news, as I order pretty frequently through Spotmodel. My current order is delayed, and also went through Pennsylvania; who knows why? as I'm in California. I've had good luck with Spotmodel's customer service for at least the last few years - I emailed them and they wrote back, a couple of times.

For what it's worth, I recently ordered something from BNA Model World in Australia, who I frequently order from, is also delayed - I wrote them, they replied and my package is still somewhere in transit.

I wouldn't suggest anyone stay away from either shop, as it seems the delays are coming as a result of the virus and work shift changes etc. I'd hope we don't boycott shops now, because when this is all said and done they might be gone - which would not be good at all, as these problems don't seem to be their fault and both provide good inventory and service.

Hang in there -

Nick
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 08:52 AM UTC
Nick,
As I've posted, half the problem is how poor their customer service has been. Literally no replies other then the 1st email. The other half of the problem is what they charge for shipping compared to Gravity. And since Gravity ships DHL and not both PO's there isn't a hold up in shipping.

I realize that they have no control over how the USPS moves over seas packages, but their pricing to use either UPS or Fed Ex is an issue, and that's been since I started buying from them a few years ago.

All of this could have been resolved if they respond to customer services issues and concerns, which they don't. So they've lost me as a customer no matter when and if my model every appears.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 08:56 AM UTC
Patrick,
before my conversion to racing cars, I was a military aircraft modeler, and purchased all my models and supplies from Sprue Brothers and Scalehobbyist.com. Since my conversion to cars, I'm forced to buy outside of the USA as only Scalehobbyist.com has a decent selection of race cars, but they don't carry certain brands that I prefer.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 02:14 PM UTC
Scalehobbyist is next town or two over from me, and I only just this week discovered them. Prices are very reasonable and I'm hoping I can cut shipping and do a will call pickup from them. Easier to hide from the wife that way.....
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scalehobbyist is next town or two over from me, and I only just this week discovered them. Prices are very reasonable and I'm hoping I can cut shipping and do a will call pickup from them. Easier to hide from the wife that way.....

I've been ordering from them for years! Never had a problem. When they mixed up some small detailing parts (Japanese aircraft seat belts instead of German ones), they replaced them firmly with the next order. Too bad they have a rather narrow Revell of Germany selection and - generally speaking - cars.

Gabriel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 12:45 AM UTC
More thread stealing, I discovered them when searching for the new reissue of the Ford LNT-8000 dump truck w/ plow.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 01:12 AM UTC
Gabriel & David,
For me, they're also almost local. Just 3 states due North. The plus side is that shipping is very, very reasonable, and generally even the USPS doesn't screw it up.

Honestly, for Road racing type cars that I prefer to build, they're about the only USA game in town. While I've found other online sites that do carry cars, they're mostly the AMT, MPC American Muscle, 1/25 scale models. Mike's decals has some out of date kits and a lot of Nascar. But I still haven't found an online resource that carries Beemax, Nunu, Platz, etc. Those manufactures are the current leaders of the "pack" in my field of interest.

BTW, my duel gripe with both Spot and the horrendous USPS delivery service, my package has gone from entry at Newark NJ, to Pittsburgh Penn, back Newark, and now it's been on the road with no tracking updates for 3 days. All it says is that it's on its way to it's next destination. Could be Chicago, Los Angeles, or back to Spain for all I know. And this folks is one of the major reasons why the PO is officially broke and going bankrupt if the Gov't doesn't bail them out once again.

In any event, I will only deal with a overseas online resource that offers DHL, UPS, & Fed Ex at a fair and reasonable price, which will be a lot more then the USPS, but I'll get my packages before I die.

Joel
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Auto Modeler: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 01:29 AM UTC
The postage system in the UK is shot to hell with delays all over the place; I have had a delivery from China arrive before a parcel from the next county over. As such while this is frustrating for you I would not get upset to much just yet. I do understand being irked by the postage costs in place however you chose to shop with them knowing this issue.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 01:46 AM UTC
Darren,
I'm really fighting a loosing battle on two fronts.

Grip A is Spot Models insane shipping charges that force you to ship basic Spanish post to USA post, as a single 1/24 scale model shipped via UPS or Fed Ex costs almost $50, which is more then the model. I've emailed them countless times about this, especially when Gravity Paints of Spain ships DHL for way less, and that's lacquer paint no less. I get every order including the last one which was placed on the same day as my Spot model order in 3 days time!

My other grip is the USPS stinks period. My package must have come by boat it took so long but reached Newark NJ. Then instead of sending it to Manhattan, NY and then to my local PO, it was sent to Pittsburgh Penn. By car/truck it's about an 8 hr trip. Tracking took 3 days. Then I guess it just sat there till someone found the package and sent it back to Newark NJ. Where it was just sent to somewhere else as listed as next Destination. Nothing else has been listed, and honestly, I don't expect to see this package within my life time.

I blame Spot Models for all of this as they force you to use their basic shipping model which I'm sure they make a fair profit on, as well as UPS or Fed Ex if you can actually afford to do so.

I've yet to receive a response to the last 3 emails, and have opened a complaint with PayPal.

As I said, I will never, ever buy a thing from them again, and while not the biggest spender, I do order a fair amount of kits and AM from them. It's HLJ or nothing, and honestly nothing is looking like it will win out at this point, as my modeling interests aren't really mainstream for the USA market, so online retailers here in the USA practically don't exist, and ebay has just about all the current kits listed out of Japan for a min of 50% over current retail plus shipping!!

ebay, once a great resource has morphed into a buyer beware online resource that's just not worth the time and effort to try and navigate.

Joel

Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,
before my conversion to racing cars, I was a military aircraft modeler, and purchased all my models and supplies from Sprue Brothers and Scalehobbyist.com. Since my conversion to cars, I'm forced to buy outside of the USA as only Scalehobbyist.com has a decent selection of race cars, but they don't carry certain brands that I prefer.

Joel

I've noticed that car builders don't have much choice in the states. I built a lot of cars, custom vans and big rigs when I was younger and you could find a model car anywhere, grocery stores, pharmacies, Woolworths, K-mart, even Wal-Mart had a few until about 10 years ago. But not much selection.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 06:57 AM UTC
Patrick,
Unfortunately, that's the case these days. for the time being I'm going to be building what's in my small stash.

BTW, my package left Newark which is 1 1/2 hrs from my house 3 days ago, and still no update as to where it is now.

Joel
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 07:56 AM UTC
It's probably on its way to my house. If it shows up I'll let you know.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 09:32 AM UTC
Patrick,
thanks. I really appreciate that.

Last tracking has the package on it's way to the final destination. That was on the 25th. All I said my house and local PO is all of 1 1/2 hrs for Newark NJ. Odds are it's on its way back to Spot in Spain.

Joel
VintageRPM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Patrick,
thanks. I really appreciate that.

Last tracking has the package on it's way to the final destination. That was on the 25th. All I said my house and local PO is all of 1 1/2 hrs for Newark NJ. Odds are it's on its way back to Spot in Spain.

Joel

USPS tracking system is notoriously inacurate. Go down to your local post office and ask if they have the package. I sold a kit on eBay a couple of years ago to someone in New Jersey. Weeks later it hadn't arrived. We couldn't get an answer from USPS via email, so the buyer went down to his post office and asked. They found it in the back in 5 minutes.

My wife also had a 2-day delivery package sit for 2 weeks in the the North Houston USPS facility before being delivered to her.

Personnally, I've never had a problem with Spot Model or their shipping rates. (Of course, I almost always ship the cheapest method.) Just received an order from them a few days ago. It did sit at the airport in Madrid for 3 weeks waiting for a plane, though.

Another US supplier of race car kits you can check out is M&S Hobbies out of Phoenix. I've always have had good service from them.
http://www.mshobbies.com/
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 02:57 AM UTC
Mike,
My issue with Spot is what they charge for UPS or Fed Ex shipping, while Gravity of Spain ships DHL for way less and I get my orders in 3 days time. And we're talking lacquer paint. And yes my package sat for weeks at the airport in Spain, but once again I blame them for forcing me to use their basic shipping service due to insane prices for UPS and Fed Ex.

USPS has had my package tracking going back and forth from Newark NJ to Pittsburgh Penn needlessly, and for the last week has listed my package from Newark to Suffolk county LI dist. Center for now 6 days. It's all of a 1 1/2 hour trip by truck or car. And thanks for the tip to check with my PO. I did, and they don't have the package as yet. I can't put in a claim as I don't have the receipt that's in the box.

Spot models hasn't replied to any emails other then the 1st one. So as far as I'm concerned their customer service stinks, and I'll take my business else where as long as it's USA based.

Joel
slobuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 70 posts
Auto Modeler: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 04:25 AM UTC
Joel,

I having been using HobbyEasy in Hong Kong for the past several years and have been pretty good luck with them. They charge roughly $58 for a NuNu kit plus NuNu details and shipping. They only have been shipping USPS which has been taking roughly a week to get the the West Coast. Unfortunately beginning in April air is no longer available with packages going surface. The claim is about 15 days. I have the latest NuNu Volvo coming so I'll see what the actual time is.

HobbyEasy does have good customer service. Generally I get a response to Emails within 2 days. I had the Volvo on preorder when air mail was no longer an option and they contacted me to see if I wanted to cancel the order. On preorders my credit card is not charged until they actually ship the product.

As far as USPS is concerned I have tracked some packages go back and forth between local Post Offices for some unexplained reason. Generally this is not a problem. Like you I'm amazed at Gravity paints DHL shipping. Three days to the West Coast and I group the order as you can get 5 bottles in the least expensive DHL box.

Russ
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi Joel

I can understand your frustration at having to pay high postage, only for the package to get held up at your end. As you say, a company can't do anything about that, but staying in touch with a customer when there's a problem is basic good business practice. It's crucial throughout the process, both to offer reassurance and, if all else fails, a choice of solutions; if you do that, customers are usually very understanding - but you can pretty much guarantee they'll assume the worst if you don't respond to them.

In this case it's clear from what you say that failing to do so has cost them a customer, when who's to know what you might have bought from them in future?

All the best

Rowan
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Joel,

I am sorry to hear of your run of bad luck with Spotmodel. I have not had the same results - they tend to write me back fairly quickly - I think I usually write to their customer service email address, and hear back in a day or two, discounting weekends of course. I tend to ask them (and everyone else) to ship the cheapest way possible. I looked at my invoice, and postage was just over $16 for a kit, via the mail.

My routing (for two packages) went the same as yours - in Pennsylvania last week and both here today. I still don't have my package from BNA, but it's always a slow boat from Australia.

Hopefully you have better luck in the future.

Nick
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 10:58 AM UTC
Nick,
$16 for one kit going basically USPS is a little high but ok. It's the $50 for UPS and $47 for Fed Ex that's insane.

Today makes 6 days with no real update in Tracking. Tomorrow starts week 7.

I bought two Tamiya kits from a member of my other car modeling site who lives in Ca. The kits are coming UPS for $24. About the same distance as Spain to NYC. But twice the price seems like Spot Models has a finger pushing down on the scale.

Joel
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:07 PM UTC
Hi Joel,
I understand your pain, being located in NZ, everything has to be shipped and there are certainly good and not so good companies so I think railing against them is being a bit like being King Lear, in the nicest possible way.

Over the years over ordering stuff, absolutely my choice of on-line provider is determined by their delivery system, on speed and cost, rather than what they have available. Gravity you have used as example, Gravity Spain to NZ in 4 days, amazing, Gravity US to NZ took over 4 weeks. That only happens once. There are many more examples I have so clearly with Spot, like all of them, have their arrangements with shippers that works for them. They won't change unless they lose business and I guess most of it is local (Europe) where it probably isn't an issue.
I have to say I had not heard of Spot before, and they have a good range of rally decals, so now I have a conundrum, so should I risk or it not.

Hope your parcel arrives soon.

cheers
Michael
 _GOTOTOP