Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2020 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My thought on campaign timing is I would prefer the calendar year approach, Jan to Dec 2021. I have already got plenty of stuff to do for this year.

And that's a fair call too, there will be a few of us who have a full schedule with other WIP and Group Builds/Campaigns for the next 6 months.

Cheers, D
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2020 - 06:47 PM UTC
Hi guys,

D - those road trains are something else! The Old lead Mack is nice!

Starting a bit sooner than later, sounds pretty good to me. I’ve ordered a kit and some details, though I’m guessing it will be some time before they arrive. That said, I’m hoping the parts get here well before the first of the year!

As to other builds, I don’t know. I’ve cooked up an idea for a scratch build, which might require a lot of time and head scratching, and still have some F1 ideas to follow - but, would still like to get going on the truck.

Michael, I get your point - your Porsche looks like quite an intense project and can see why you don’t want to clutter up your bench, or rush along - that project will require some time and patience. But, if the build runs long enough you could jump on to this campaign when you’re ready - I’ll likely have to wait to start until packages arrive anyway but wouldn’t mind getting going before the 1st of the year -

Cheers, guys -

Nick
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2020 - 12:40 AM UTC
I too would prefer the earlier start time. My Ford and Autocar arrived at the LHS yesterday. I should be able to pick them up today.
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Auto Modeler: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2020 - 12:46 AM UTC
My record at finishing campaigns sucks. But this one is tempting as I've never built a truck and I have an AMT kit on order to go with a double trailer kit that my Dad bought and never started. As long as the campaign is a year, I'd be willing to give this a shot.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Auto Modeler: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 06, 2020 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My record at finishing campaigns sucks. But this one is tempting as I've never built a truck and I have an AMT kit on order to go with a double trailer kit that my Dad bought and never started. As long as the campaign is a year, I'd be willing to give this a shot.

I am with Gary. My track record sucks and I haven’t built a truck kit despite have around 5 truck kits and just ordered the AMT Freightliner SD/DD kit. Probably going to need that year timeframe to complete whenever it starts.

For references this might be old news to some.
https://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_brochures/bernard/
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2020 - 07:08 AM UTC
So it sounds like the consensus is that as long as the Group Build is a year, it really doesn't matter when it starts. Personally, I'm more inclined to the Jan-Dec 2021 time frame than starting in July; but that's just me and the situation that I'm in now.

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 01:00 AM UTC
I've just taken stock of my current build list, and on reflection I wouldn't be able to start my Big Rig project until the new year, and I would really prefer to have a 12 month run at it, so the calendar year run-time would suit me better as well.

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC
With all this being considered, I say we stay with the original January 1 through December 31, 2021, for this Group Build. If people want to get a "head start" on their builds due to whatever, then they will be considered on a case by case basis. Let's face it, this is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun! If you want to start your project in July 2020, then go right ahead; but if you want to be in the Group Build, then don't finish before January 2021. At least wait until February!

Jim
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 04:50 AM UTC
Or, with the initial launch of what will be a recurring GB, we could make the start of this one July 1, 2020 and run it for 18 months on this one and then drop it to 12 for the follow on ones starting 2022.

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 04:51 AM UTC
I'm not sure this Group Build will be an annual thing. It would be nice in a way, but there are a lot of proposed Group Builds on the list.

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With all this being considered, I say we stay with the original January 1 through December 31, 2021, for this Group Build. If people want to get a "head start" on their builds due to whatever, then they will be considered on a case by case basis. Let's face it, this is a hobby, and it's supposed to be fun! If you want to start your project in July 2020, then go right ahead; but if you want to be in the Group Build, then don't finish before January 2021. At least wait until February!

Jim

Agreed and confirmed, we are now LIVE and ready to enlist HERE .

As with the other Auto Group Builds, there will be no Gallery for completed builds, but rather a photo feature following the end of the time frame.

Going back to the first post of the thread -

Quoted Text

My initial thoughts are to run an annual year long (Jan-Dec) Group Build alongside the Garage Queens, allowing both new builds and previously started builds. Effectively we would have "GQ21 - Cars" and "Big Rigs 21" running side-by-side.

I think that making this a perpetual annual Group Build with started kits allowed and no minimum enlisted at the start will encourage a few more Big Rigs on to the bench. I will also create a promo thread in the General Modeling section (as I did for the Race Theme GB) to see if we can drag in some strays from the other forums.

Now, time for more motivation and inspiration.

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 11:50 AM UTC
One of the pioneers of outback road transport and the Aussie Road Train was a man named Kurt Johannsen . Using an ex-US Army Diamond T980 as the powerplant, he did some amazing things!

Pour yourself a BIG coffee (or something stronger), get comfy and check out the Australian National Road Transport Hall of Fame!

Kurt with "Bertha" in 1965.

Kurt in front of the restored "Bertha" in 2005.

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2020 - 11:56 PM UTC
Thanks for approving the Group Build, D.

Now we need an award & a banner. Any suggestions?

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 01:12 AM UTC
Playing around with an award ribbon idea that could be used ongoing:

and ribbon size:

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 03:41 AM UTC
I'm digging it. Maybe reduce the wheels under the trailer to tandem (if you can). Is this how they run un Australia? It looks like a Volvo VN (US truck) with a European style trailer.

Jim
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 08:36 AM UTC
One thing I liked doing was changing the ribbon a bit for each year. For this campaign, you could change colors and/or style of truck and/or trailer each year.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 10:07 AM UTC
Signed up.
Feel like building a Bulldozer.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm digging it. Maybe reduce the wheels under the trailer to tandem (if you can). Is this how they run un Australia? It looks like a Volvo VN (US truck) with a European style trailer.

Jim

This is typical of most of the combinations on the Australian roads, the tri-axle trailers are a lot more common. I will see if I can find a similar silhouette with a bogie trailer.

Quoted Text

One thing I liked doing was changing the ribbon a bit for each year. For this campaign, you could change colors and/or style of truck and/or trailer each year.

Definitely agree Gary, there are plenty of variations on this theme that we can use.

Quoted Text

Signed up. Feel like building a Bulldozer.

Great to see you here Richard, D9 away to your hearts content!

Cheers, D
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 11:55 AM UTC
Those are great! A KW T600, (2) KW W900, and a Freightliner Argosy (I think).

Quoted Text

Signed up.
Feel like building a Bulldozer.

Are you thinking the Meng D9 or the AMT D8?

Jim
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 04:45 PM UTC
Well I went ahead and enlisted. I am thinking of building one of these two. Not sure which yet.

Thank you for the campaign idea Damian.

Randy
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 - 05:28 PM UTC
I've signed on too. No idea what with though. There is a limited range down here, AMT's (not going there again) or Italeri's seemingly endless range of Volvos and Scanias. I have to find something old-fashioned I think.

cheers
Michael
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 12:22 AM UTC
Nice choices, Randy, I haven't built the DM600 yet; but I have built the Mack AC, and that kit goes together very well.

Jim
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 12:53 AM UTC
Randy, thanks for joining in, great to have you on board!

Quoted Text

I've signed on too. No idea what with though. There is a limited range down here, AMT's (not going there again) or Italeri's seemingly endless range of Volvos and Scanias. I have to find something old-fashioned I think.

Michael, if you find anything specific that you would like to build, let me know. I'm on the road for work and there are plenty of LHS's along my regular routes. Happy to hunt something down and send to you.

Picking up a bit of momentum here, 7 enlisted, excellent!

Cheers, D
GaryKato
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2020 - 03:28 PM UTC
Just had a good look at the kit for the trailers. Wow. This is definitely a kit from the early '70s. Trees are not marked, parts are not numbered. There are no chromed parts. Some rather nasty sink holes in some pieces. On the box, it says "Vinyl Air Hose Tubing". There is none, maybe my Dad put them somewhere else? Not only that but the instructions don't mention them or where they go.

The Truck-Tractor arrives Saturday. I expect more of the same.