Fruehauf Flatbed Trailer a little different
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Auto Modeler: 134 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi all.
Saw a Fruehauf build this morning, so decided to get mine from the shelf.
Started long time a go and now after 2 years on the shelf it's time to finish.
Basic build is as good as done. Started the weathering of the wooden deck.
Different it will be, because I will convert it to a Thai style Flatbed as we meet every day on our way to work.
Wood is replicated with decals from HGW 1/32 scale

Part of the conversion visible, white piece is the connection console for electric and air. Also the vertical part with the steel netting is typical.

Back of the trailer will get steel barriers

Wood is stained with oils to get the dark weathered look. Still very glossy as the process is not finished yet.
Underside of the trailer is to follow after that. Wheels are still removable and will get some further detail with electric cables and air tubes for the brakes.
Next time I show what I have in mind with the load.
Hope you like it.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 12:10 AM UTC
Great looking trailer. I really like the weathering. Do you have a tractor to hook it to? The heavy duty headache rack & the basket are really nice.

Jim
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 12:29 AM UTC
Tractor for this Flatbed. Well that is a headache kit from Fujimi. I planned a Hino Dolphin for it, but the cabin is a real disaster from Fujimi. Need to take a good breath to dig that out, but we will see. Already did a lot of scratch work on that particular cabin. See how it looks after 2 years. Had some ideas for that and it just might work. But I can't stand it when I have to cover up details for the sake of finishing. First finish the trailer and load.
Thanks for dropping by.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 12:31 AM UTC
Very nice work so far Robert, effective weathering and neat scratch built additions.

Looking forward to progress updates, and like Jim, something up front to drag it around!

Cheers, D
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 01:59 AM UTC
Dug out the Hino. It's the Auto Transporter Kit.
Made a good start on this "Beast of its time". Hino Trucks are so cool!

Steering and 5th wheel come from KFS in the UK, superb AM for trucks. I have some more stuff from them, see how and if I can use that.
I took a look at the cabin and my plan is to cut off the roof at first to get the interior all lined up. Add details and rework both doors, Fujimi is not good at details for that.
Platform with electric and air connector box come from KFS, as with the tubes. Platform is aluminium thread plate. There will be a lot of stuff on the back of the cabin. Buckets, brooms, spare tires, toolbox already there) and loads of other things. Rags, wood, ropes and chains. Exhaust, also scratch build is typical Thai. It should roar and smoke a lot, most is custom made in obscure garages, nobody cares as long if it works. Thats what I like the most on these animals of the road.
Mirrors are a special addition. Thai love the bling bling with an overload of mirrors and very long antennas on both sides. Fenders is another issue on these trucks, have some ideas to fix that too. Last but not least are the Michelin puppets with all kinds of hats. They look real cool over here.
I glued some things already, so there is progress.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 02:18 AM UTC
Hino tractor is coming along nicely. It'll look great with the skateboard behind it.

Jim
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 02:27 AM UTC
Definitely a very nice project in the works here, your description of the added items on the back of the cab gives a very clear mental image. An everyday workhorse where you need to bring a bit of everything "just in case".

Great progress so far, I love it!

Cheers, D
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 02:42 AM UTC
Thanks Jim for the heads up.
I'm about to finish my Beer and get some sleep after that. Very early tomorrow morning I have an Audit by Microsoft. Think they are in Seattle, will be late for them
Anyhow, it needs my full attention not to get nailed by them
Enjoy life and stay safe and sound.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 - 10:37 AM UTC
Lovely work Robert, looking forward to seeing this one finished.
 _GOTOTOP