_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
primer alternatives
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Auto Modeler: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 03:39 AM UTC
I'm looking for an alternative fine-grain primer to Tamiya and other modeling brands. Nearest LHS is no longer local, and shipments of Tamiya products are sporadic. Is there a fine grain primer (spray can) available in large hardware or automotive departments - like CIL, or Krylon, etc? What do car modelers use when they can't find Tamiya? Any suggested brands should be international, or available in Canada.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2020 - 11:41 AM UTC
My go to primer is Gunze Mr. Finishing Sealer # 1,500 & 1,200 in light Gray. I also use Tamiya Gray and White mixed to make light Gray, so the two bottles make 3 different shades. Thinned always with Mr. Leveler 400. All of these products are purchased from either Sprue Brothers, or ScaleModelHobbyist.com.

If you decide to use pre-thinned primers, then Gravity of Spain, Zero paints, MCW Paints, Scale Finishes, as well as Alcad2 primers are all available online.

For rattle can primer jobs I still use Tamiya's gray primer sealer that every online retailer carries. I'm just not a big fan of big box hardware stores rattle can primers. For the most part they're no longer Lacquer based, and that's a major issue for me.

Joel
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 03:52 AM UTC
Mmm...my whole point was NOT having to make a long trip to a hobby store for a hobby product. The are plenty of hardware stores much closer. My primary use for primers is on resin figures - not plastic.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 11:10 PM UTC
Motip auto primer.

If you can find it, Citadel or Army painter. Price is almost the same, as for Tamiya primer, but they come in full size cans.
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 12:31 AM UTC

I'm looking forward to others replies. Does the Tamiya primer stick well to resin? I have looked for a long time for something that will stick well to resin. I have tried regular rustoleum gray auo primer, decanted for use in an air brush, and it works nicely but has problems sticking to resin. So I tried their self-etching primer. I used it for large photoetch, where I also had problems with adhesion. It adheres very well, but leaves a pretty thick residue. That was easy enough to sand on a large shurzen but seemed like it would be tough to use in the nooks and crannies of a normal model.
VintageRPM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm looking forward to others replies. Does the Tamiya primer stick well to resin? I have looked for a long time for something that will stick well to resin. I have tried regular rustoleum gray auo primer, decanted for use in an air brush, and it works nicely but has problems sticking to resin. So I tried their self-etching primer. I used it for large photoetch, where I also had problems with adhesion. It adheres very well, but leaves a pretty thick residue. That was easy enough to sand on a large shurzen but seemed like it would be tough to use in the nooks and crannies of a normal model.

I use Tamiya primer on all materials. It sticks well to them all. Are you cleaning your resin before painting? I soak all my resin kits & parts in Westley's Bleche-White, which is a white waall tire wall cleaner. Sometimes a toothbrush helps in nocks & crammies. (Rinse off the Bleche-White with water.) This is to remove mold release, which will prevent paint from sticking.
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I use Tamiya primer on all materials. It sticks well to them all. Are you cleaning your resin before painting? I soak all my resin kits & parts in Westley's Bleche-White, which is a white waall tire wall cleaner. Sometimes a toothbrush helps in nocks & crammies. (Rinse off the Bleche-White with water.) This is to remove mold release, which will prevent paint from sticking.

Yes, but I just use dish detergent and I always scrub it with a toothbrush. How did you come upon the white wall cleaner for this?
Biggles2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 03:07 AM UTC
I've used Tamiya primer almost exclusively for many years, but now, it and other Tamiya products are getting hard to find. Tamiya primer (almost) always covered well, but there's the odd batch that was thinner. I've just tried Citadel (gaming figures and paints) primer and it covers very well, but needs to be shaken REALLY vigorously before spraying. Much larger than Tamiya can and therefore cheaper!
VintageRPM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes, but I just use dish detergent and I always scrub it with a toothbrush. How did you come upon the white wall cleaner for this?

Don't remember, but probably another message board. Been using it for years.
 _GOTOTOP