_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Sierra Interior done - Grey-mania!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 08:58 AM UTC
With all the sunny summer weather we’ve been having where I live, I’d sort of forgotten all about the grey, funeral skies of autumn and winter. However, thanks to the miracle of super-boring ‘80s interiors, I don’t have to worry about that anymore!

I’ve been working on the Tamiya Sierra XR4i interior for the last bit, and it’s all finished up now. However, I can’t say it’s the world’s most exciting “front office”. When you compare it to the coloured interiors that some cars got in its time, the Sierra’s flood of grey-on-grey action is pretty bland. However, I did get to use more greys in once place than I ever have before!

Check out the completed interior at the link below, and remember; I didn’t choose this colour combination, Ford of Europe did!

Let me know what you think!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/2020/08/12/tamiya-sierra-update-2-a-rainbow-of-greys/

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 02:14 PM UTC
Nice work Adam, both the improvements to Tamiya's laziness and the "50 shades" going on in there!

The end result is definitely worth the effort.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 12:35 AM UTC
Adam,
You just might have set the Kit Maker Network record for the most amount of shades of Gray for any interior. Throw in some Black and it looks a million times better.

The mailbox and the seat backs do make a huge difference. like you, I can't understand why Tamiya opted for all those short cuts when AMT, Revell, and MPC all had better interiors. Maybe at the time that was the accepted level of detail for Asian Tin Top kits.

Joel
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

I don't know if "most greys in an interior" is a particluarly great record, but I'll take what I can get!

It's weird, because not all Tamiyas, and not all Asian, car kits are like this, but there definitely seems to be a "class system" for Tamiya kits, and only a few are in "full seat" class.

Depsite their usual ease of final assembly, I do think the Tamiya car kits are far and away overrated.
 _GOTOTOP