_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Junk Yard Detailing diorama
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Auto Modeler: 210 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 01:38 AM UTC
I have been testing out more weathering techniques in combination with diorama placements. Trying to make smaller diorama compositions but still trying to maintain, an overall cohesive look. I have just completed grinding the tyres(these photos were taken before doing it), and fixing the sink holes on the container. But so far I think it looks good.

------------------------------------------

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 01:47 AM UTC
Charles,
Judging by your posted pictures, I'd say that you certainly achieved your goal of creating miniature scenes within the larger diorama.

I've also crossed posted your thread to the car section of the Beta AutoModeler site. Check it out and see where the future is going. And please cross post so that we can all get use to the new site and it's many excellent features.

Joel
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles,
Judging by your posted pictures, I'd say that you certainly achieved your goal of creating miniature scenes within the larger diorama.

I've also crossed posted your thread to the car section of the Beta AutoModeler site. Check it out and see where the future is going. And please cross post so that we can all get use to the new site and it's many excellent features.

Joel

Hi Joel. Thank you. I thought I already posted to the automodeler site? I'm confused.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 09:56 AM UTC
"What was that officer? Overloaded the old Ford? No, don't believe so, she'll be fine!"

Outstanding work Charles, amazing attention to the finest details as always. As stated earlier, a few small weeds poking through might add a small splash of living colour to counterpoint the wreckage.

Quoted Text

Hi Joel. Thank you. I thought I already posted to the automodeler site? I'm confused.

Charles, the forums here are on the way out soon, obsolete format and coding. Joel has copied your post here to the "NEW" AutoModeler site here:
https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/junkyard-detail-diorama/349

There is a link to the new Kitmaker Network site in the banner at the top of this page called "NEW FORUMS"
You will need to create a new user profile there but please jump in and explore and start posting there as well.

Cheers, D
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thank you. I saw the link but for some reason, I can't log on with my present details. Do I have to make a new account?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 02:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you. I saw the link but for some reason, I can't log on with my present details. Do I have to make a new account?

Hi Charles.

The new site is a totally new platform and you will need to create a new user profile, you can also log in via your Google or Facebook accounts if preferred.

Cheers, D
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 02:57 PM UTC
Charles, extraordinary work. How did you create the rust effect on the container?
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2020 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles, extraordinary work. How did you create the rust effect on the container?

Hello. Thank you for liking the build.The rust effect on the container was done using using this method:

1. spraying black Citadel black primer

2. Then I used a mixture of light, old, medium rust, grey and black pigments. I blended them together carefully, spreading them on the entire container. It's good to have a reference picture in front of you when doing this.

3. Then soak everything in a odorless thinner solution.Then leave to dry.

4. After it was dried( there were some areas that hadn't completely dried but it wasn't a problem for my next step. I sprayed on a thin coat of matt varnish. This helps seal together all the pigments but it leaves a whitish residue which is perfect to add to the subtle variations of rust which helps blends everything together.

5. After, I was satisfied with how the rust effect looked, I dried brushed a steel color on varies corners and edges of the container. This method brings together the entire container, making it more realistic. That's pretty much what I did. I probably did small touches of dust here and there but that's up to you and the effect you are going for. For example, I used a sponge to dab the color blue to break up some areas.

Hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP