_GOTOBOTTOM
Trucks
Scale truck modeling topics.
Volvo F12 tractor trailer truck
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
This is the ScanKit Volvo F12 tractor trailer truck in 1/72 scale (#2021). I bought this since civilian vehicles are rare in scales comparable with military vehicles. I plan to use it along with a 1980s era armor kit to create a REFOREGER diorama. I understand this may not be a truck found on the German autobahns in the 80s, but my choices are limited.

The kit is a fairly complex affair for a Braille scale kit. The cab is removable and a rudimentary engine is underneath. The kit contains 24 wheels, cleaning the seams was not fun. Over 40 pieces to just the wheels and axles.

The kit was molded in red, black and tan plastic with a clear windshield. The cab has the option of right or left hand drive. I painted the kit with some cheap Wal-Mart (or K-Mart?) brand red spray paint. I used the same brand gloss white for the trailer and trim on the cab. The interior was painted gunship gray and the canvas top is a color called SAC bomber tan. The chrome trim was painted with Testors chrome. Flat black was used on the tires, grills and various details.

I noticed when I was uploading the photos that I must have knocked the the right rearview mirror when installing it. I finished this kit on Friday, just in time for my model club's annual theme build, "Something Civilian". It was chosen as the model of the month. Someday I will build a diorama to go with it.

I apologize for the poor quality of the photos. Perhaps Santa will bring me a better camera for Christmas. (:-)
Stormbringer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC
Rob
The first Volvo F12's were about in the late 70's so your time period is about right. In fact there are still some about nowadays.
Pete
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC
Nice Tractor Trailer Rob.
Now that we have a new forum I look forward to seeing some heavy equipment. Seem's Armorama just keeps getting better and better.
Hope Santa is listening to your Christmas wish.
Chuck
Major_Goose
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 09:11 PM UTC
well its surely nice that we can see in armorama civilian stuff. Nice one heavy train there Rob. i wish we see many many more of these
NOSFERATTU
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 06:35 AM UTC
Very nice.Congrads.
 _GOTOTOP