_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
PAint Removal
Manchu34
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 05:50 PM UTC
I've got some old 1970s MPC car models of Dodge Cahllenger, Dart, and Charger, Plymouth Duster, etc. And I want to attempt to redo them. Any idea on how to remove the old paint so I can repaint them?
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 07:12 PM UTC
A lot of people use ovencleaner to remove old paint. I haven't tried it myself though.
Try to search for ovencleaner here at Armorama. I'm sure you will find a description on how to do it.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 07:12 PM UTC
Hey Edward, you can use Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean. Can be bought at any auto parts stores around $4-5 dollars a gallon. Much safer to use than over cleaner and it won't harm the plastic. It will remove just about all paints. Just soak the parts in a bucket. It my start to disolve in about 2 hours or two days. Then using a tooth brush to clean up in the nooks and crannies. Caution, it will also remove the chrome plating. Good luck
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 - 09:02 PM UTC
I use oven cleaner and have no problems with it. It will not harm clear parts but am unsure about chrome as most military trucks don't have chrome :-)
keenan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
I'm with Mother. Castrol Super Clean works like a charm. Heed the warning about the gloves, though. Stuff dried my skin out, bad. Must be lye based.

Shaun
Cougar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 266 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 08:07 AM UTC
I normally use Oven Cleaner, the only downside is that the caustic eat's at your skin if your not wearing plastic/ latex gloves

Quoted Text

Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean

Is that Brake Fluid?

Cougar
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hey Warren, Simple Green is the leader of non-toxic cleaners. Environmentally safe, used for household and industrial cleaning...also has a minty sent :-)
Cougar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 266 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Simple Green is the leader of non-toxic cleaners. Environmentally safe, used for household and industrial cleaning...also has a minty sent :-)

Thanks for the reply, Mother

Hehe... Now I feel really smart, thought it was Brake Fluid :-)

Just wondering cos I know you can also use Brake Fluid to remove paint, works nicely, but it takes a while to lift the paint

Cougar
Manchu34
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC
Thanks. I'll give it a try. When I finally get the old dodge challenger cleaned up and redone. I'll post it here. It would be nice to redo a 30 year old model. Espeically with all the realisitic car paints available and the after market parts. And since that wa smy dream car when I was a teenager it would be a dram come true. Well, at least partly. :-)
 _GOTOTOP