_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
**69 Shelby**
NOSFERATTU
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 231 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 11:00 PM UTC
69 Shelby.Rewell 1/24.Nice kit.

lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 11:39 PM UTC
Woah!
now let me ask you, once you finish these, do you also have a quick session of making car sound effects and sliding it around the desk :-)
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Auto Modeler: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 01:29 AM UTC
Real nice looking 350, the one thing I never could understand, everybody said the Cleveland 351 was the best of the 2 engines, that the Windsor wasn't as good, but if that is so, how come Carol Shelby picked the Windsor for the 350 Shelby, instead of the Cleveland engine.

Them were pretty hot cars, and a friend of mine had 3 of them, 2 68 500's, and one 69 350, and the 350 had a Windsor in it. As a matter of fact, that was the first Windsor I had ever seen, I didn't know that they were small blocks, and the Cleveland's were big blocks, cause all the Mustangs all had Cleveland's in them, that Shelby was the first Windsor I laid eyes on.

When we first popped the hood, it was easy to tell with all the extra room in there, cause none of the Mustangs had that kind of room with the 351's

Then those 68 500's with the 428's in them, when it came time to change the spark plugs, we had to take the motor mounts loose, then take off the valve covers, and even still had to jack up the engine on each side to do that bank, talk about no room.

Kerry
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC
What a beaut,

Love the 60's Mustang my favorite is the 69 Mach 1 but have only seen pictures never a real one.
Mustangs are a rare breed in the UK let alone Mach 1 or Shelby.

Thanks for brightning my day.

Ciao
Luciano
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 11:52 AM UTC
That's a good looking Shelby, Nosferattu. Excellent work as always.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 05:52 PM UTC
I remember running a Shelby on the Autobahn with my Porsche...somewhere around 135 the Shelby went bye bye
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 10:04 PM UTC
Shelby went all out on the 69 interior, they were beautiful, totally different from the mustang, they had gauges top and bottom on the 69, the closest this was to an airplane as you could get in them days, it was just a showcase how he done them.

He done the 69's way different from all the rest, even though the others were pretty nice with that padded roll bar, and it came in the soft top and hard top they both had the roll bar.

We got that 68 500 up to 130 one night but it was hard to hold on the road, we had peddle left, but scared to try it, for it was starting to walk across the road on it's own. now I had a74 corvette and at 130 the front end would push down, and hold it to the road, but it had to be a special day for it to run like that, it was a pure dog.

They were just a great car to look at, Ford, or Shelby, never did get the job done to make them good enough and safe enough to handle good, they tried that is why they disappeared for so long, they were dangerous.
campari
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 371 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:36 AM UTC
Thats nice work and its seems like working.While I am looking to the pictures I can hear the sound of the engine.Tekrar tebrikler Hakan Abi.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Auto Modeler: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
That's an excellent model. Real huge and awesome!
I hear the rumble and smell the gasoline over here!

As so many said before: WOW !!!

Quoted Text

I remember running a Shelby on the Autobahn with my Porsche...somewhere around 135 the Shelby went bye bye

What Porsche was that?? Not a Carrera certainly!
Sounds like it could use a little tune-up! LOL

Paul
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thats a good looking Shelby GT500 you have there nice paint work very cleanly built. I am a bit of a car nut and have some reference stuff on these cars as far as i know no Shelby GT500 from 1967 to 1969 street or race version every came with a small block from the factory only the 350's if it had a small block in it someone outside the factory put it in. The 1965 threw 1968 Shelby as whole was a better car all around much better balenced lighter and more nimble at least thats what all the race car guys will tell you i whish i had one anyone any year. One thing i am curious about Kerry you said the Cleavlend was a big block i always thought they were considered small blocks, i have seen them next to the WIndsor they do look alot bigger, i think i will do some research, my friend had a 351 Windsor in a 1967 Mustang Fastback and he a 351 Cleavlend in a 1968 Square back, both cool cars lots a fun.
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 02:10 AM UTC
I think I was wrong there, they might just have the way bigger heads, which make them appear to look like a big block, it has been so long ago, I can't remember everything.

I do know the Windsor is small compared to the Cleveland, by a whole lot, cause everybody had Cleveland's in their Mustangs, or any other ford with a 351, then when my friend got that 69 Shelby, and we looked at the engine, we wondered what happened, then I found out that was the very first Windsor I had ever seen.

Now I never got to see a 500 69 Shelby in person, just that 350, but both of their 68's were 500's with 428's in them, and I know the 69 500 would of had a 429 in it, but that model has way to much room around the engine for that to be a 429.

Compared to the 68's with the 428's like I said it was so tight in them, that we had to take off the valve covers, plus take the engine mount loose to jack up the engine on which side we was changing the plugs.

There was no other way, then you could only get your fingers in to do it then. They were all engine, and that 69 looks like you can put a dance floor next to that engine. Maybe it's right, but then maybe they give you the wrong engine, cause I can't see that much difference between the 68, and the 69, of course I know they had the 70 style hood and fenders in fiberglass, but did it give that much room.

That looks like the same amount of room that the 351 had. Cause that was one thing we commented on when he got it, at least it will be a lot easier to change the spark plugs, with it being a 350.

Kerry
Slug
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 04:30 PM UTC
I love 69 Mustangs or up here we call them rustangs, I had a 69 fastback , what fun! Yours is a great example Hakan,your paint and decals came out great and the detail of the motor set it off nicely, although I personally can't get used to the low rider version ( its an age thing) .
Kerry , 99% of 1969 Mustangs with 351s had Windsor built motors whereas 99% of 1970 Mustangs had Cleveland built motor . Ford changed the production plant that year.
I always thought that the cleveland motors looked bigger than the windsor because of the shape of the valve covers the cleveland's were flat on top and the windor's kind of sloped down, MHO
Bruce
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 06:05 PM UTC
I didn't know the exact reason why, so I asked my brother in law, he builds engines, so he should know, and he said, the reason the Cleveland appears bigger is, the valves are canted, plus it has oval port intakes that make the heads appear way bigger.

So now we know why they are bigger. Something else he told me that I didn't know, and that was Ford came out with the 429 in 1968, I tried to tell him he was wrong, then he got out his book and showed me, about how the 429 was the only engine in that time, that could be bored 150 over, it originally came with 360 HP and 480 torque.

There I figured it was 69 when they came out, but he showed me, and I was glad to get the correct news now, instead of going on false information.

Kerry
NOSFERATTU
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 11:32 PM UTC
Thanks guys for very nice replys.
liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 11:54 PM UTC
very nice mustang..i like the eleonor scheme. looks good with lowered suspensions. thanks for sharing.
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 04:19 AM UTC
Bruce, I was kind of wondering, if where we lived really had an impact on which engines we seen most, with you being from Canada, I think you would see Windsor engines, and with Cleveland only 60 miles from me, I'm sure I'm going to see only Cleveland engines, that is why when we seen that Shelby, we had no idea where it came from, but I know his Dad didn't get it locally.

Like I said, I knew Windsor had a 351 to, and as far as I knew it was the same, cause none of us ever seen one until that Shelby, cause we only live 60 miles from Cleveland, and all the ford engines we seen were made from there.

You know how stories are until you actually see one for yourself, and that was the way it was when we first popped the hood on that 69 Shelby, all of a sudden I realized how much smaller it looked then the Cleveland.

Then I always heard these story's that the Cleveland was supposed to be a better engine then the Windsor, but if this is true, then how come Carol Chose the Windsor over the Cleveland then, if the Cleveland was supposed to be better, this didn't make sense to me, somebody had to be wrong, but who.

Was it Carol, that used the Windsor, cause he didn't care about the smaller block one, or was it the stories I have been told all this time, that was wrong, I had no idea which.

Kerry
Slug
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC
I Guess Carol used the "Windsor" because it was the only one available at the time (69) although these specific 351s that went into Shelbys were a HO (high output) motor, not the typical motors found in other Mustangs.
Not sure what changes were made to these "HO" motors.
 _GOTOTOP