_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
1/16 Rail Dragster
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 06:28 PM UTC
This is Revell-Monogram's 1/16th scale Beebe & Mulligan dragster. Built out of box. Painted in Model Master's paints, and Plasti-Kote jade green metallic.

I'm also working on another 1/16th scale drager, a Charger funnycar w/ home made decals. There is a ton of scratchbuilt and detail work that went into this one.

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hi Mother
1/16 scale, this model most be very loooong.
you've done a great job on the "Fighting Irish"
Paint job looks great. The dark stripes look almost black though.
The Hemi looks fantastic.

Chops and the Zookeeper was a great team. A shame John Mulligan died at such an early age.

Will be looking forward to the Charger. MOPAR rules.
fanai
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 09:15 PM UTC
Not a car modeller but I know what I like- great work very impressive. Just an aside - did this car use blower straps- my brother builds rails and scratch builds drag & rods and he has put on blower straps that on late model drags. I know noting just seen my brothers photos-also you know the actual rail- oops I think I missed them I looked a bit closer to photo-Sorry
Ian
EasyOff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Auto Modeler: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 01:52 AM UTC
Ya, I don't do cars either, but I really like what I see. I love the colors and I like the photos as well. It just looks clean and mean. Nice work! It takes talent to do cars with all those wires, glossy paint jobs, decals, chrome parts windshields, (not here, but you know what I mean).

liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 02:34 AM UTC
very nice..i like the model and pictures. almost like the real thing parked besides the house. the wire wheels looks good. thanks for sharing.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
Lovely build

Stahlhelm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 05:16 AM UTC
Beautiful build, Joe. I have often considered building one of those as front-engine slingshots are some of the most attractive vehicles ever created.

Cody
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
Auto Modeler: 105 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2005 - 05:36 AM UTC
Brilliant work Joe. Love the paint job and all that chrome.
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Auto Modeler: 100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 10:58 PM UTC
Thats really sharp Joe, thats the way I wanted my 1/10 scale r/c to come out but it didn't, but I never did finish it either.

Have you ever set in one of them sling shots, the neighbor had an old one parked in his garage without an engine, back when I was still in school, and I set in the seat, and I figured right then and there where did they get the nerve to drive them.

All they had was a pad over top of the rear-end that you set on, of course it is like a blow jacket, but there you have all them gears running all them rpms right under your rear with over a 1,000 hp driving it, and them pads aren't an inch thick, and in high-school that was the first thing I thought of. Boy this is a bad idea.

I'd drive any of them but a sling shot, I wouldn't set on any rear-end, with that much HP pulling it, those were death traps, they really got a lot safer when they went rear engine, cause I've seen a lot of them blow up over the years at the races.

Kerry
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:56 AM UTC
Thanks Kerry. Yes I did race a dragster, not the sling shot kind, but a rearend dragster. Well I really can't say that I raced her either. I used a friend of mines rail to get my Super Comp license. Had to make five(5) passes down the track in order to get a Comp license. Two half track and three full track runs. Our local track here is only a 1/8 mile...pretty short. The kinda rail I used was not what you see on TV. This on had a 402 bb w/ a 6:71 blower. Wheel base was 187" around 15 feet. That was my first and only time running it, I have to tell it's scary and a lot of fun. Another thing is your pretty busy behind the wheel, there are 8 steps you do during a run and before you know it, it's all over.

I also got to sit in a jet funnycar one, man i'da like to have run that down the track.

As for your r/c, what do you have. Let's see a pic and maybe we can get that thing running
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Auto Modeler: 100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:11 PM UTC
Joe, I would of loved getting that R/C dragster running back when I was working, but then I had my R/C Miss Budweiser boat, and my Clod buster to play with, and all I had was the carbon fiber chassis for the dragster and the lexan body, and you know from that point it takes a good thousand dollars more to get it to move. with motors batteries, servos.

Especially if you want one for racing, no normal motors will do, no normal batteries will do, and this was a long time ago now, I'd hate to see what it would cost now, they said it would cost over a thousand then.

I don't know what it was called now, like I said it came with slicks, and front tires, and a few sheets of carbon fiber for he chassis, and it had a clear body but I had put a decal in the upper inside then painted it flat black on the inside, with a rattle can which made it look like shiny black on the outside, with a hundred coats of clear over it.

I thought it looked horrible, but my neighbor never seen one painted like that, he never thought to paint it from the inside, he couldn't get over the shine. Then when I told him I pained it with flat black he just wouldn't believe me until I took it apart, and had to show him. But it still don't look good, it needs to be redone.

I wonder how that oven cleaner is on lexan plastic, cause I don't think I got any spare plastic to try it on first.
Kerry

_GOTOTOP