_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Revell's 1/32 Pick-up kits question
Frenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
Hi
I've been told that the true scale of some of these kits like
this one (#6040):

or this one (#6006):

was in fact closer to 1/35. Can somebody confirm this

TIA
Frenchy
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 03:49 PM UTC
I have the Toyota kit. It looks pretty close to 1/35 to me. I actually use 1/32 car and truck models with my 1/35 armor and figures all the time and it always looks fine. They are close enough for me. Have a look in my showcases, below, to see some examples.
Frenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 05:33 PM UTC
Thanks Gino. I have an opportunity to buy them but I just wanted to be sure...I have the old Monogram "Snap tite" Toyota and Datsun pick-ups and the size discrepancy is IMHO quite obvious when I put them side by side with a Humvee...Would it be possible for you to tell me the length and width of the Revell Toyota ?
Thanks
Frenchy
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 04:41 AM UTC
Revell Toyota:
Length, including bumpers: 147mm
Width: 45mm
Frenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 05:17 AM UTC
Thanks for taking time to help me ! 147 mm should be OK (or at least close enough...)

Frenchy
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 06:18 AM UTC
The Toyota kit makes into a great technical.

SF Soldiers in Desert Storm found a "way" to pedestal mount a .50 caliber M2 Heavy Machine Gun onto a Toyota pick-up truck:

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Toyota kit makes into a great technical.

SF Soldiers in Desert Storm found a "way" to pedestal mount a .50 caliber M2 Heavy Machine Gun onto a Toyota pick-up truck:

Joe,
My thoughts exactly. I am looking for an extended cab (4-door) version myself to make the ones I saw in Iraq as used by SF and Iraqis as well. US SF ones were Toyotas. Iraqi Army was using Nissans.

Frenchy,
If you don't have plans for the Nissan King Cab, I may be interrested in it. I have not seen that one before now. Looks promising for an Iraqi technical.
Frenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Frenchy,
If you don't have plans for the Nissan King Cab, I may be interrested in it. I have not seen that one before now. Looks promising for an Iraqi technical.

In fact I don't have this kit yet But here's the website where I have found it :
http://home.wanadoo.nl/dwijsman/hoofdframe.htm
It is specialized in 1/32 OOP plastic car kits. That's where I have found the Monogram kits I was talking about (and the Revell kits pictured in my first post as well...) The Monogram Datsun would be a bit too old for a Technical IMHO.

Tamiya had released another 1/32 (but closer to 1/35) Nissan King cab kit that could be used for a Technical project with some work (scratchbuilt interior , and maybe a new set of wheels...)

Frenchy
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hey guys, do they make a Chevy or Ford 1/32 kit? I'm a sucker for the American-made trucks, but, I havn't seen one since a Chevy Step-side when I was about 12 (1981 or so).
Any leads?
Cuhail
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 11:33 AM UTC
Silly me, I ask before I look. There it is...Sold out

How hard is it for one such as I to buy something marked and priced in Euros?

Cuhail
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys, do they make a Chevy or Ford 1/32 kit? I'm a sucker for the American-made trucks, but, I havn't seen one since a Chevy Step-side when I was about 12 (1981 or so).
Any leads?
Cuhail

AMT/Ertl made both a Chevy and Ford fullsize pickup trucks. I'm using the Chevy as a technical. I do not know what it scales out to, but the Italeri HMMWV chassis is an exact fit for the chassis as far as wheel base and width go. I think the truck is a 1990s body style, but again, I do not know enough about pickups to be able to identify the year.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In fact I don't have this kit yet But here's the website where I have found it :
http://home.wanadoo.nl/dwijsman/hoofdframe.htm
It is specialized in 1/32 OOP plastic car kits. That's where I have found the Monogram kits I was talking about (and the Revell kits pictured in my first post as well...) The Monogram Datsun would be a bit too old for a Technical IMHO.

Frenchy

Interesting site, but those prices are rediculous. These kits sold for only about $5 when new. I have a bunch of the jeeps and trucks. I have seen the Tamiya Nissan King Cab mini 4 wheel drive, but can't seem to find one except on Ebay where they go for crazy prices as well. I took one of the Tamiya mini 4 whleel drive Toyota Land Cruisers and put it on a Land Rover chasis and did a full interior on it. Came out pretty good. Guess I will just have to keep my eyes open for the Nissan King Cab one, Thanks.
Frenchy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Guess I will just have to keep my eyes open for the Nissan King Cab one, Thanks.

Maybe you can try your luck on Rainbowten's website. The Tamiya King cab is still listed there (for about $9..) But I don't know if it's still actually available
http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html
HTH
Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP