_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
1:43 Ferrari 500 TR
tomglover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 06:40 AM UTC
Just wanted to share my Ferrari 500 TR made by Renaissance. The kit went together like a dream apart from a little modification of the chassis . This is my 2nd 1:43 car, as I usually build WWII aircraft and tanks The paint job was not as perfect as I wanted as I used Vallejo Model Air, which was said to be already thinned. It was not thin enough so I got the "orange peel effect"

Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC
Lovely done.. I didn't think ferraris ever came in blue though
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 06:52 AM UTC
I looks really nice.. but I was expecting Ferrari Red! Did you like working on this small scale? I always felt 1/43 was just too small for cars. But I certainly like how this one looks.
tomglover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Yes! This Ferrari did actually race in Le Mans in blue. I quite enjoy working in small scales for some odd reason!!
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Auto Modeler: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 09:10 AM UTC
Great looking ferrari Tom!
Too bad that only 1:43 kits available in poland are the old heller cars. Although I like to build them, it would be nice to have some choice

Cheers
Pedro
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hi Tom

Good looking Ferrari. Beautifuly executed. Lot's details on this little gem. You say, you had to do some modifications to the chassis. How detailed is this kit under the body?
Is it a resin kit?
I have a fairly large collection of 1/43 scale die-cast cars and have been wanting to do a 1/43 scale resin kit for a long time, just never gotten around to do one.

Have you bought this kit on-line?
tomglover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:37 PM UTC
I bought it from grandprixmodels.co.uk. Their mail ordering service is excellent and shipping prices are very cheap.

campari
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 371 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:55 PM UTC
Nice work for this scale.You did every possible detail.I like it.But main paint is not perfect.Also I have the same problem and try to solve it.Is there any body can tell me how can I survive my model from this orange peel effect
Thanks for sharing Tom.Its nice to see a Ferrari in different color
B-U-R-O-C-K
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bursa, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:05 AM UTC
Kaan is this problem which you are facing on Lancia paint

I think you are using Tamiya Spray ?
You have to spray slight and at least 4-5 coat.
After each coat at least 1-2 hour wait..
Pls finish it asap
I cant wait to see
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hello Kaan,
Orange peeling is caused by the paint not being warm enough during the application, whether you airbrush or use a spray can. The paint should be at room temp. or above. You can warm up you paints by running them under warm water, but don't make them to hot. When warming a paint can, hold under the warm water, then grab it and shake it. The can will become cool again, then hold it under the water again, shake. Once the can becomes warm the paint should be ready to go. Hope this help some and good luck with your next project.

Edit: When spraying, put on a light coat. Wait 20 mins then do another light coat. Again wait 20 mins, then spray on your finial wet coat. The light coats give the wet coat something to hold on to.
campari
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:09 PM UTC
Thaks for info Burak and Joe.I use the Tamiya acrylic paints with the air brush.I will try your advises.If i have a sucsses you will see it in there :-)
Also I want to ask one more question.I prefer to use acrylic paints(its practical to clean) but I think enamel paints will give more satisfactory resaults for shiny appearance.Enamels are more likely to tendency to spead on the surface and ballance the paint thickness.This will makes getting good resaults more easyly.Is this wright?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 06:43 PM UTC
Hey Kaan,
I had success using both paints, but however I do prefer using enamels over acrylics. The enamels dry harder so when I buff and polish the paint it has a less tendency to burn through. The acrylics dry faster, 1-2 days, where as the enamels need at least 5-6 days of drying time. If you need any help in buffing and polishing just ask my friend.
campari
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 07:06 PM UTC
Joe,
I have 2 types of compounds of tamiya fine and finish.Do you have any advise for an another meterial for this job?While you are painting the body what procedures do you apply after the base coat.I know its totaly according to your satisfaction.But I can't satisfy until this time with my metod:-)Thanks for your answers Joe they are realy help me and erase question marks on my mind.

Tom sorry for using your topic for this questions but this is the last one.
 _GOTOTOP