_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Daughter's COOL new hobby
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 02:42 PM UTC
Hey guys, I wanted to post about my daughter Alex's new hobby Slot Car racing. Y'all are wondering why post here well. She races 1/32nd scale models and does rather well. Last week was her first victory at our local Hobbytown USA. This is especialy notable as she's only 7 and the average age in the group there is around 35. Soon we'll have our first slot car kit a 1/32nd scale Auto Union type D (BTW for that don't know that is now Audi)

BTW it will be her 3rd model. (Progress pics will litter the site!!!LOL)
Now she'd like me to post a pic of here "garage"

clockwise from top: 1966 LeMans 1,2,3 finish GT40 collection, 1969 Boss Mustang (Car she Raced to take first), 1957 Maserati 250F F1, 1957 Vanwall F1, 2003 Lister Storm, and canter a 20003 Dodge Viper GTS. Well its off to the races.....Wish us luck STUG
octupus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 05:33 PM UTC
Steve,

Long time no see pal, how are you and your family doing? Nice to see Alex's new hobby posted here for sharing.

Nice day!
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 06:04 PM UTC
Gentlemen and little girl, start your engines.
Definitely a cool hobby and one cooooool garage.

Good luck in the next race.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 07:41 PM UTC
Yes, together with Horch, DKW and NSU, autounion is now part of the Volkswagen / Audi group. None of those brands are manufacturing cars under those names though, but the intellectual property belongs to Volkswagen/ Audi.

Nice to know: The Autounion C type was the first racing car to have the engine in the rear. And while pretty powerfull, the effect was really on handling.

This Revell kit is an old Matchbox kit btw.
SOW1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hello, mother of the budding racer here.lol

Though I do not agree with the cost of the slotcars I do appreciate that Stug and Alex are spending time together. Also that she's finally found a hobby that does not include destroying the walls.lol
fanai
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:27 PM UTC
Great hobby my dad and I used to do that in the sixties - he even made several cars for me in 1/32 out of frames and platic cars -had an airfix e type converted with tape over lights and all, also a MG and a 1960's BRM, Dad had a beautiful porshe he used to drive and boy was it fast - He used to race at a Friend Slot car store/track but enjoyed making them more
Ian
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 05:44 AM UTC
I agree that this is a great hobby. We are having fun and am looking forward to building cars with her as well as racing them. I just wish more than ever there were more kits out there in 1/32nd scale. Hopefully with renewed growth of the slotcar industry we'll see more cars available in 1/32nd. STUG
Sensei
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC
great hobby!

congratulations on victory and i wish her (and you ) many, many more victories in future!!!

cheers
Mirko
 _GOTOTOP