Scale truck modeling topics.
Ambulances
kf8xo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC
Does anyone know if there are any 25th scale type 2 (Van) or type 3 (Pick Up Cab with Box) Ambulances available on the market?
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Auto Modeler: 51 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
I've seen some AMT 1/25 ambulance for sure but that was about 6-8 years ago and in poland so even then it could be OOP.

Pedro
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Auto Modeler: 100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 03:06 AM UTC
I'm not positive, but I seem to think I seen a site that had all kinds of ambulance things, maybe somebody else has seen this, and can remember better than I can on to where it is, and can tell you it's address, if it's still around, or just what it is exactly.

I do remember a lot of ambulance stuff they had, but just what it was, I can't remember.
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
I found a company that makes a resin cab for an ambulance, but you have to find a car to mount it on.

Fred's Custom Models

Also have a lot of goodies for anyone that want to make emergency vehicles.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:07 AM UTC
There is the Polar Lights ecto 1 kit that you can work into an ambulance.

And, if all else fails, take a hearse.. ( can probably be worked into an ambulance easily too )

hth,

Richard
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
No there really are not many kits, BTW the pickup and box is a Type 1, the Type 3 is the van cab and box.

Freds Custom Models does have alot of stuff and it looks pretty good. I don't like to spread rumors but I have seen alot of negative comments about the service from Fred's, just thought you should know.

Another possibility is American Industrial Truck Models, I think they have a box body for an ambulance.
American Industrial Truck Models

You can get light bars from several places, here is one but there are a couple others, this one is nice because they have decals too.

Chimneyville

I only know of two actual ambulance kits and neither is really much more than a van with a light bar. I think both are Dodge vans, one is a Rescue 911 ambulance and the other is from Cannonball run, I don't think either are currently in production but both are fairly common on ebay.

Unfortunately Ford vans seem to be the most popular for ambulances and they are not easy to come by, there were some kits of the older E-350 and you can find them on ebay occasionally, however not all can be built stock so you have to sort of know which kits to look for. There is a diecast of the newer E-350 from Johnny Lightnig that is supposed to be pretty nice.

Your best bet is probably the Type 1 (pickup cab and box), there are plenty of pickup kits you could use, the recently re-released 1990's Ford F-350 Dually is probably the easiest since it is available. There have been snap kits of a Chevy 3500 Dually and a Dodge 3500 Dually, both are on ebay fairly often but sometimes you go awhile without seeing one.

Its not really that hard to build a box yourself out of sheet styrene and considering most resin ones run $30-50 when you can find them it saves you alot of money too. This was one of my first attempts at scratchbuilding, it is a light rescue but is very similar to what you would want for an ambulance. Styrene is actually pretty easy to work with, much easier than I expected. If you want to build your own I would be happy to pass on some of what I've learned.

_GOTOTOP