_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Moto Guzzi 750
blkhwkmech
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC
Does anyone out there know where I can get a kit of a Moto Guzzi motorcycle? I Have seen one but I'm not sure who made it although I have been told that Protar made one.
It's for my wife who used to race one and also do builds.

Chris
Stormbringer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 11:35 AM UTC
Chris
I've just done a search of the Hannants website and came up with this

Moto Guzzi Centauro

It's the only Moto Guzzi kit they list.

Also on another site I've found a 1:6 scale Moto Guzzi 850 Californian made by Protar but it's the equivalent of $223, you may be better off looking for it stateside.

Hth
Pete
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 11:44 AM UTC
If my senile mind remembers correctly, Protar makes several Moto-Guzzi kits. Not sure if they do the 750 though.
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Auto Modeler: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 07:40 PM UTC
I don't think there's a commercially available kit for a 750 Guzzi, if there was I'd have it as I've got a 1972 V7 Sport!
Protar do indeed make (or made) several Guzzi kits. The 1/6th one of the Cali is very expensive (last I saw it advertised it was over £100), it's quite old & has some bizarre features. The crankcases are clear, so that you can see all the provided internals, all in freaky colours (red gears & blue pistons anyone?). The other kits are 1/9th & are of '50s racers, including the V8 & the inline 4, & I think there was a road model as well but I seem to remember it as a police version. I have made a few Protar kits & while worth persevering with as the only way of accessing the subject matter, they require a lot of work, & the detail level on some of the older ones is not high.
The Tamiya Centauro is a different kettle of fish entirely, but is of course of a much later model. I note that there is a 1/12th scale ready built model of a Le Mans 1 recently released, I've got the Commando model & detail & finish is quite good, they're about £50 over here, but this won't help if you want to build it yourself.
Just as a matter of interest (to me) which model of 750 did your wife race?
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:10 PM UTC
BTW I think Protar are now owned/marketed by Italaeri. They have re-released the British racers, Manx Norton, 7R AJS & G50 Matchless with extra metal parts.
WildCard
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 05:46 AM UTC
I have the 1/6 Moto Guzzi California. Whew! IT'S A BEAUTY! I have not build the bike becuase it's a rare find. I manage to bought one from HK for a price tag of $200 USD!

This bike takes alot of discpline to build. I think perhaps one day I'm up to the task...

WC
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:49 PM UTC
Wow, those are nice pictures Benjamin, someone did a good job on that alright! Maybe the parts I mentioned were colour-coded to make assembly easier! Looks good painted up.
Unfortunately it's still not a 750, but one of the last tall framed 850 Calis with dynamo between the cylinders (has duplex 2LS front brake as per V7 Sport, this doesn't work that well on these Calis, the weight factor, I won't tell you how I know; the last series in 1972 had discs). I think they call them "Buffalos" in the States. I still don't know of a kit of a "Tonti" frame Guzzi V Twin.
 _GOTOTOP