For Formula 1 racing modelers.
Ferrari 156 in progress diorama
tomglover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
This is my first ever diorama attempt by the way The model is a 1:43 Ferrari 156, and I have also bought two 1:43 figures to go with it. All comments are welcome, tips or criticisms. I think I may have overdone the green stuff on the gravel. Is the gravel the right colour, and what else could I do to the gravel to make it look a little more realistic? Any help would be appreciated. (sorry about the dark pics!)

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 06:04 PM UTC
Hi Tom

Looks pretty good so far.

The gravel looks a bit overscale, but it still looks good. The green stuff looks ok to me.

What are your plans with the car. Did the driver skid of the track, into the gravel or?

You could ad some tire marks, on the track. I have done this myself, using scotch tape for masking and then dry brushed with matt black. It's quite easy and looks ok.

I might have some more to ad, when I know what you have planed for the car.

Definitely looking forward to see more.
tomglover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments Jesper . Yes, the car did skid off the track and into the gravel. I didn't think about the skid marks. Maybe some tire ruts also? BTW which direction should the skid marks go?
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW which direction should the skid marks go?

That depends on the manor, of which the car ran of the track. Did the driver completely miss the curve and whent directly in to the gravel or did he enter the curve going way to fast and go sideways into the gravel. It's all up to you Tom. You need to become 6 years old again and play a little with that car and try to imagine how the car ended in the gravel.

The gravel would also be effected by a car going into it. The car would leave deep marks in the gravel.

You could try to Google for F1 pictures. You might find something usefull.

Just ask away if more help or info.
tomglover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:25 PM UTC
This is my progress so far. I have added the 2 figures and some skid marks. Any more comments or criticisms would be helpful. I am not quite sure about the marks on the gravel. They don't seem to look too realistic? BTW, I'm not the worlds best figure painter!

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:14 PM UTC
The skid marks, on the track, look pretty good Tom. The skid marks in the gravel look a bit odd. A car going into the gravel, would leave fairly deep grooves in the gravel, but that would be difficult, at this point, in the process.

Figures look pretty good.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:30 AM UTC
You did a really nice job on the car Tom.....
Good to see a 1/43 scale.... I don't see them much anymore.
tomglover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys:-H . I have tried to make the marks on the gravel more realistic by chiselling out some of the gravel. It seems to have worked very well.
 _GOTOTOP