_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Car tyres tip
tomglover
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 11:05 PM UTC
If you've got car tyres which are made out of that soft kind of vinyl plastic and want to get rid of the seam on the tyre, but you can't seem to be able to sand it, stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours until it is hard, then you should be able to get rid of the seam more easily

hope this will come in handy
Tom

(btw, I havent actually tried getting rid or the seam yet, but Im pretty sure it will work lol :-) )
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi Tom

I will definitely try this, next time, I build a car, with that kind of tyres.

Thanks for the tip.
VoodooChild
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC
I came across another method that worked pretty well for the tyres on my Dragon Wagon:

-Mount the tyres on the rim and then temporarily attach a piece of sprue/metal rod etc. to the wheel hub.
-Use the sprue to attach the whole thing to a drill press.
-Turn the drill on to a low speed (~500rpm) and hold a piece of fairly coarse (220grit) sandpaper against the wheel with slight pressure as it spins.
The seem will quickly be removed and your tyre will also have a slighlty worn look. Repeat this for your other tyres.
Note: 1.) You don't need to use the drill press, I used it only for the low rpm. I tried using a Proxxon/Dremel but even its lowest speed (5000rpm) there was too much vibration.
2.) I haven't tried this on car tyres so I don't know what it will do to the finer tread pattern there.

Cheers
Ed
MrRoo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 03:01 PM UTC
putting them in the freezer to go hard and then scrapeing the seam off works a treat. Sometimes you have to refreeze them because the warmth in your hands will thaw them before you have finished.

cheers
Cliff
 _GOTOTOP