_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
AMT vs. Revell/Monogram
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 11:05 PM UTC

Okay, I have bought 2 or 3 AMT kits now and I have been telling you all about my 72 GTO build lately. As a teen, I had all the model years of GTO except 1971, which is kinda hard to find, and feeling nostalgic, I figured on repeating that accomplishment.
So, I ran to a LHS to see if they had any other model years available and lo and behold, a Revell/Monogram '66 GTO was on the shelf. I bought it and brought it home.
Upon opening this kit, I was simply astounded at the crisp detail and loads of parts as compared to AMTs kits. Clean lines, VERY little flash and the only complaint I have is that there is only one version to build-stock.
Amazing! How does AMT stay in buisness? Don't get me wrong, I knew back in the early 80s that Monogram made a better model than MPC, but, when AMT bought all the molds from MPC, you think they would take some pride and clean up those old molds and put out a quality product. I mean what's so tough?
On a side note, I bought AMT's '67 GTO and found most of the same parts as the '72, like the same engine, seats and wheels. Kinda sad, eh? The only really cool part was, in the '67 box was a front clip to...you guessed it, a 71 GTO! What's up with that?

So, that's my rant. Anybody wanna add to that?

Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 12:39 AM UTC
My thoughts exactly. I have one AMT kit left in my stash. When that one is build, I doubt very much, that I will buy an AMT carkit ever again. The AMT kits I have build, might have been kits from the 70's or 80's. Perhaps their new kits, with new tools are better, I don't know. What I do know, is that when I buy and build a Revell/Monogram kit. It's GOOD. Almost no flash, Excellent fit, excellent details and no warped parts.

AMT do have a lot of very intersting kits. I guess that's how they stay in business.

BTW I buy my carkits, from Evers toystore, in the US. My LHS, sell's Revell/Monogram 1/24-25 car kit's at
37$. Even with a fairly expensive postage, I still get the kit's at less than half that price.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 06:26 AM UTC
I hear ya man!
$37.00 per kit? Ooooof! I think I am pretty much done with car models after I do my GTO collection again. It's a great change from Armor, but, I can't deal with the lack of detail.

Cuhail
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
I think car kits are really crude and lack detail compared to armor kits. I used to just build cars and have many car kits in my stash. Even the new kits are are not much more advanced than the kits from the 1960's in terms of detail. And how many times do the manufacturers just rebox the same old kit with new decals and wheels? I dont buy many cars anymore except for some of the rare reissued kits.
 _GOTOTOP