_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Racing cars campaign this year anyone?
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Auto Modeler: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hi guys!

This had come to my mind a few days ago .. I was thinking of Armorama 500, the sequel "classic race car campaign".

The purpose of it would be to build and admire racing cars of any genre, that existed in reality. I was pondering the limit of pre-1990 cars or more than 25 years old as considered vintage in reality, and the scales allowed would be from 1:43 to 1:2 NASCAR , Trans Am, Le Mans and other classic big track racers, Monte Carlo, even the Paris-Dakkar rallye to just name a few of the possibilities..

So since there are no civilian cars campaign scheduled for this year, then maybe this one could take off. Now I need your thoughts and suggestions about it. Most of all, will there would be any interest in this sort of campaign?
If there will be enough feedback, I'll try to write down some specific rules and submit this campaign for acceptance.
As for the time frame.. I was thinking about starting date on the 01 June 2006 with the end on 30 December 2006 or the likes.

So? Got a gasoline in your vains anybody?

Cheers
Pedro
DUBDUBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC
Yeah, I'd love to see that done. You have my full support.

Now, to get started on my 1:2 scale 'swamp rat' dragster...... :-)
spacejunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:11 AM UTC
Count me in!. I've got an old MPC modified dirt car sitting collecting dust.
Regards,
Bill in SLC
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 12:15 PM UTC
Definitely interestet. Wruum wruum.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 12:25 PM UTC
Yeah I'm game. I'd like to build "Dyno Don'' Nicholson 73-74 Mustang Pro Stock. Heck I may even drive in with a 70's Funny Car.
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:09 PM UTC
I'd like to try this one. I've been wanting to build the GULF Porche 917 which was in the old film "Le Mans" with Steve Maqueen. This will give the incentive to sit my #ss down and try building it.
Joker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:26 PM UTC
I'm in for that.
Cheers
Joker
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:34 PM UTC
Hmmm... I was thinking of a WRC campaign since WRC cars are abundant here. :-) :-)

But vintage cars would do.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 09:55 PM UTC
Sounds like a plan to me

Will probably do something 1/43 or so.
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:06 PM UTC
I would definitely go for a WRC campaign. Been wanting to convert a Focus to a 2005 version for a while now...
Kyle
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hmmm...I've always been a sucker for those ridiculous group 5 BMW 320 turbos...or maybe the old Revell Datsun 510 TransAm car! Count me in...N
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 07:25 PM UTC
I would be up for that, I have a few older NASCAR kits here that would work....just have to decide which!!!! LOL
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 04:01 AM UTC
Many thanks for your feedback guys!!!

Ok, now that we have group of ready and willing builders I think that I can submit the campaigne for approval in a few days.

Since nobody commented on the proposed rules they'll look like this:

Subject of the campaigne:

To build a pre 1990 racing car of any genre in any scale.
WRC, NASCAR, Trans Am, F1, Paris Dakkar, dirt racing, dragster, even the Camel Trophy would be applicable.

Only restriction is that the car you build must have been existed and raced before 1990.
Also you can build a diorama depicting some race/ pit stop scene that includes your historical car.
You can build and enter as many cars as you want.
Entries must be started and finished during the campaigne period.

One additional idea that came to me yesterday would be that you'll have to show a photo of the original car. Just like in the "wheels" campaigne in the armor section. Would that be fine with all that willing to participate?

Campaigne will last from the 1st June 2006 to 31st December 2006.

After the deadline each participant that'll place at least one photo of his finished entry will recieve a campaigne ribbon produced by me

I'll also hope that with time we'll gather even more participants to build and share their great racing machines.

I havent figured the name for the campaigne yet so if you have any ideas and suggestions, they are most welcome.

Cheers
Pedro

Ps. My first (and I hope not the last) entry will be vintage Mercedes 300 SLR by revell
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 02:06 AM UTC
You can just call it....

"Vintage Racers Campagne"
Or.... "Speed Legends Campagne"

Do we still have to sign up or do our posts here count as registering? This, and the "Russian tanks campagne" will be my first and I'm not exactly sure what I have to do.

Thanks.
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Hisham!

Thies campaigne wasn't submitted to the staff for approval.
I wanted to do that last wekend but then I'm not sure on one of the rules for the campaigne and asked for feedback and didn't got any.

Your post is valuable to show interest of a group of modelers to the staff, the more interest in the campaigne the better. AS to your question, I still have to figure that out as this is the first time I came out with my own campaigne.

Cheers
Pedro
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 08:37 AM UTC
What about LeMans? I've got about 30 of these lying about....... I'd love to do a Henri Pescarolo diorama in one of the Matra Simca entries.

Frank
Joker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC
Matra Simca...man you have it bad...Is that a kit from Provance Moulage? ( I'm not sure thats the name) very cool subject matter though, I'd love to see that...me I'm a Porsche 917 guy most likely the " Hippy car" and maybe the red Salzburg 917... I'll just have to get out that DVD of "Le Mans", movie's kinda lame ahhh but the engine sounds, almost as good as a Merlin..
Looking forward to this campaign
Cheers
Joker
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 10:20 AM UTC
Frank... LeMans is included cause that's what I wanted to build also.. the GULF Porche 917 that was in Mqueen's film. Let's just hope the staff approve this campaign.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hello Grzegorz,
I'm looking forward to seeing the campaign take off. As for the rules, I like them. There straight and clear and easy to follow. I like the idea of showing a pic of the real car on the track. For the campaign name, why not keep it Armorama 500. Either way, hope there's a big enough turn out.

Here's a peek of what I'm building,

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 01:20 PM UTC
Rules sound good to me.

If we get the "Gentlemen start your engines" from the staff. I'm definitely in.

I yet have to decide what to build.

Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 04:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Matra Simca...man you have it bad...Is that a kit from Provance Moulage? ( I'm not sure thats the name) very cool subject matter though, I'd love to see that...me I'm a Porsche 917 guy most likely the " Hippy car" and maybe the red Salzburg 917... I'll just have to get out that DVD of "Le Mans", movie's kinda lame ahhh but the engine sounds, almost as good as a Merlin..
Looking forward to this campaign
Cheers
Joker

I've got 2 Matras. The 1972 LeMans Winner driven by Henri Pescarolo and Graham Hill. This is a fantastic Curbside done by Fisher model & Pattern and the second is a new release from Profil 24 of the obscure Matra 640 from 1969. (Henri P. had a horrible crash in a practice session and the car was never heard from again). This too is a curbside resin kit.

I too am a fan of Porsche racing. I've managed to accumulate a range of 906's, 908's and 917's. Two long tail 917L (Fisher) and three Fujimi 917K. Great models...

Here are a couple of shots of my 1971Hippy 917 that I need to complete , it's been sitting idle like this for over 2 years, waiting for a clear coat. The decals are Studio27 and are beautiful, but unfortunately do not fit the Fujimi model. Studio27 based the decals on the old Heller kit which is not a true 24th scale ( more like 28th) and therefore I had to cut the swirls to make them fit. Hopefully once the clear coat goes on, it will hide the overlapping decals

Of interest to you would be the absolutely incredible book just released by Francois Hurel 'Porsche au Mans' 1966 - 1971 (Sport & Prototypes). It's all in French but it is packed with a mind blowing array of previously unreleased crystal clear colour photos (almost 200) of all the Porsche entries in this time frame. An absolute steal for $95CDN. The publisher is Editions du Palmer.

As an aside, I too watch LeMans the movie, it's on DVD now, and the quality is greatly enhanced over the old VHS. Crank up the surround sound and smile!!!
Frank
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 05:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Grzegorz,
I'm looking forward to seeing the campaign take off. As for the rules, I like them. There straight and clear and easy to follow. I like the idea of showing a pic of the real car on the track. For the campaign name, why not keep it Armorama 500. Either way, hope there's a big enough turn out.

Here's a peek of what I'm building,

Nice pick Joe! Is that a kit or are you going to have to kit-bash.... Full interior or curbside?

Joker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC
Very Nice 917, thanks for the tip about that book, I'll be adding that one to the collection. I've got the Morgan book on the 917 but would like to find something more technical, any ideas?
I didn't know that about the decals as I've got the short tail ones from Studio 27, I like their decals hate theiir PE, I seem to need a bench vice ( love that expression) to bend it.
On the Hippy 917 how did you come up with the colour ?, it seems a bit of a mystery, is it blue or purple. I read somewhere it was actually a Peugeot colour!
Cheers and thanks for the tips
Joker
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 09:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got the Morgan book on the 917 but would like to find something more technical, any ideas?
I didn't know that about the decals as I've got the short tail ones from Studio 27, I like their decals hate theiir PE, I seem to need a bench vice ( love that expression) to bend it.
On the Hippy 917 how did you come up with the colour ?, it seems a bit of a mystery, is it blue or purple. I read somewhere it was actually a Peugeot colour!

I agree with you on the P.E. I think all the automotive aftermarket products have a long way to catch up to the rest of the industry.... Studio27 (Cartograph) are incredible. I have been known to buy these decals first, and then try and find the model associated with it ! :-)

I based my purple - blue Hippy 917K colour, on the restored car currently racing in the historical races. This colour really comes accross differently under different lighting, I used the Humbrol Fed-Ex purple for it.

As far as technical drawings, I've got a good friend whom I consider the 917 guru, I'll ask him on reference material.

Frank
Joker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
Good plan with the colour I'll try it. Your right about Studio 27 decals, I think tha'ts why I have two Zakspeed/Wurth Capris ready to go, 'cause I like the decals and bought them first!
BTW are you located in Guelph, my Moms side of the family came from there, she lived over on Oxford street and Norfolk street, great town. My grandmother was the Librarian for years.
Cheers
Joker
 _GOTOTOP