_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Lifelike Mercedes SSK Sportswagon
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hey all

I just received my Lifelike Mercedes SSK Sportswagon and upon inspection realized it was just what I expected....nice but not exceptional.

Here's the question I have about COLOR. This model will go into a WWII dio I am building (creative phase....design board?). The idea is the 'Benz in a garage being "discovered" by a couple of GIs. The era is the mid-fortys, Germany. It'll be in a garage attached to a hotel the GIs have "taken over" as an HQ. The box art shows the car as a "cream" color which looks nice, but.......

In your opinion, should I go with that color or should I choose another?? I know "artistic license" allows just about anything, but I'd like it to be "period." Was there a "standard" color or colors (red, black, blue, et cetera) for that era? Your help and input will be greatly appreciated. If you know of, or recommend, a specific color, could you please include the manufacturer name and color number? As this is NOT my forte, I welcome any and all ideas on this.

Thanks!!!!

Mike (++) (++)
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hi Mike

The vast majority of the MB's I have seen from this period, have been painted in a monocolor paintsceme white, silver, black or red. I have seen quite a few with a dual color paintsceme. Red fenders and white body or red fenders and silver body.
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 05:18 AM UTC
Jesper,

What do you think of straight black (which will offset the chrome [contrast])? The 'Benz will be in the garage, mostly covered, and "hard to see" as the majority of it will be covered by a tarp. I think the black will show the "dust of time" a bit better.

Any other thoughts will be welcome!

Thanks!!!

Mike
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hi Mike

I think a straight black is an excellent choice.
A black car will be easy to dust up.
 _GOTOTOP