_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
My small but growing fleet
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:43 AM UTC
I have been having a ball building these Tamiya curbsides. They are a nice and welcome break from things that are OD, have bombs, guns, tracks and wings! I just finished the Porsche 962C today. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box and found that the clear pieces were already in place and I didn't have to do anything but some minor sanding around the headlight lenses. About the only draw back that I can think of with these things is the abundant amount of decals that come with them. You really have to pace yourself and take your time. Luckily I haven't had any major mishaps. I also scored some more kits at Hobby Lobby today as somebody couldn't figure out how to work the price gun correctly. I brought home the Tamiya Ferrari Enzo (Normally a $50+ kit) for a whopping $10.99 with a 40% couplon. Grabbed several more that were marked in a simular fashion as well. Anyway, here's my cars. Hope you like them. "Q"
They are from left to right, Porsche 962C, Opel Astra, and Honda Accord.

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope you like them.

I definitely like them.

Very nice paintjobs. You've definitely done a good job on all of those decals. Have you used any kind of decal softener or did you just apply them the old facion way?

Do any of the cars have anything under the bonnet?

You have certainly made a bargain on the Ferrari.

Looking forward to more of your growing fleet.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:53 PM UTC
Jesper,
Thanks for the kudos. Painting with gloss paints is a whole new world for me. The Opel's paint has some issues here and there, but it still looks good from about a foot All three kits are curbsides with little to no engine detail on them. There is a very basic representation of an engine on the Porsche and on the Accord, but nothing that would amount to anything to detail. I am looking forward to building more of these in the near future, hopefully some that do have an engine in them. The decals didn't really require any solvent, except on a few small areas on the Porsche. Other than that, they laid down very nicely. I finished the Porsche and the Accord in semi-gloss and left the Opel in a gloss finish. I like the semi-gloss better as I think it looks more natural. Thanks again for the kind words. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP