_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Yep, another car underway...
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:24 AM UTC
I got started on this last night. It's Tamiya's Nissan R390 GT1. This one has the engine and transmission so there is a little more to it than the others that I have posted. I added some carbon fiber decal sheet that I had ordered from Best 1 Hobby in Ca. They shipped it the same day I ordered! I'm new to the car scene, but I was told that there was a lot of CF on these types of cars so I decided to add what I could, where I could. I like the look of it, but it is tough to get it to conform where I needed it. I also added a set of PE seat belts from Eduard. Very nice set. The paint would come off though when I started bending it into shape and as a result I had to go back and paint it when it was complete and installed. Not a big deal, but something I hadn't counted on. I do have another set that are actual cloth from Studio27 that I plan on using on my next build. This is all the work I have gotten done thus far. I needed to take a break for some lunch and TV. Thanks for looking, comments welcome. "Q"

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 01:11 PM UTC
You crank out cars, at the same pace as Costas cranks out figures.

It sure looks good. Lots of great details in the cockpit.
Engine looks great as well. Do you plan on giving the engine a little black wash?
The pe seatbelts look really good.
Love the look of the carbon fiber decals. They look fantastic.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:57 PM UTC
Ya know, I really like looking at models that seem to invite me to slide into the seat and try to start it. Well done. The carbon fiber you speak of is the seat belt material, I assume. I like the look. With the PE bits and buckles, It came out nice.
I'm curious as to what scale it is. I wish I could get my 1/25 dashboards that nice looking!

Now, I understand by your post, that you started this last night? Good grief, man, where do you put your extra arms while you sleep? Wow!

Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:12 PM UTC
Matthew your progress looks good so far i think the interior looks great and the engine should look just as good when you finish the details, looks like a good kit.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You crank out cars, at the same pace as Costas cranks out figures.
.......Do you plan on giving the engine a little black wash?

Jesper, Yeah I do go kinda quick with the builds, but i'm retired so I have lots of time I'll be adding a wash over the metallics to bring out the recessed areas. Thanks for the kudos..

Quoted Text

The carbon fiber you speak of is the seat belt material, I assume...

The carbon fiber areas are the dash and the rear firewall. Notice how it has a slightly checkerboard appearance to it. The seat belts are photo etch from Eduard. I have some cloth ones lined up for my next build. The kit is 1/24 from Tamiya.

I got a look at some 1:1 pics of this same car and it is amazing just how much "stuff" is crammed into the cockpit and engine area of this thing. I plan on doing another car along the same lines as this one, only opened up displaying the "goods" so to speak. I think that one will take a bit longer to do though. Thanks for all the comments folks. These cars are a great break from all things OD should you decide to give one a try. Thanks for looking. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP