_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Features?
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
Over the several years that I have been visiting this site, I can't recall ever seeing a feature, or build article on a car or other civilian type vehicle. Has this been done, and I just missed it or something or has one not been done in the past. I know the OD (military) stuff, including figures are the primary focus on a lot of sites such as this, but since there are cars and such posted here, I'd love to see something every once in awhile that goes fast, possibly has racing numbers on it and is shiney! As I said, I'm just curious and as such, I might just have to submit something along those lines. Thanks and I hope to hear from you all. Thanks. "Q"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:47 AM UTC
Civilian vehicles are a relative new addition to the site. I did a build article where I made a PT Cruiser into an Army staff car, complete with GSA plates. It's been here for at least three years: Retro Army Staff Car.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
Mathew, I would kill to see more civilian automotive support here at the Big A. It's hard to get people to even LOOK at the cars, trucks and planes done up in civilian paint. I have gone to a few other forums just to get some tips to apply to my car modeling because it just doesn't exist here. I've seen some great cars here and I really want to see more.

Cuhail
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 07:00 AM UTC
You can't have the features, unless the members are building, writting, and submitting them.
I can't remember the last time I built a civilian vehicle. But I do see some nice ones showing up in the threads. So hopefully some members will put fingers to keyboard and start submitting some reviews, and articles along the civilian models they do.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:27 AM UTC
Dave, that is all I needed to hear or read :-) Murphy, I suggest you and I get to writing some stuff and try and get the ball rolling. I have a hand full of cars that I would like to share with the site and hopefully gather some info from other more adept car builders out there. Thanks for the replies guys. "Q"
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hey Matt,
I would like to do an review/article on a civilian vehicles, especial racing. One of my biggest passions besides my wife is racing. I was excited when the site added the Civilian Model section, and I wanted share my many builds and kits with the members. Soon after I decided to run a NASCAR campaign, well there were many posts from members who thought that it should open to other racing types of vehicles. So the rules where changed in hoping to attract more entries. All in all it was a good campaign with some great looking entries, even still with less than a third that finished. Now it wasn’t that I was discouraged by the lack of entries, it was more the lack of interest. I felt that I didn’t want to take up site space of an article or review that no one would read or even get any use from. Just my thinking...nothing more.

Members like Rv1963, Cuhail, Red4, Manchu34 and liberator who keep this section active, (sorry if I forgot some of you’s) with some fine looking model cars. I have built many car kits over the years and still have many on hand. Also, and I don’t want to seem like I’m bragging, have a vast knowledge of racecars and many building tips that I’d like to share. Again I just don’t’ want to waste anyone’s time or take up site space doing so. But if no one minds, I’d love to share tips, photos and advice with other members here and do some reviews or even build articles.

By the way Matt, great question.

Joe
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Auto Modeler: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:30 PM UTC
If it comes to photo features, then I could submit a few by the evening...
Don't realy know why I havent done this earlier.
Other thing is that I tend to model armor and civy vehicles in waves, and since I started going to the Armorama forum I 've done only armor and suspended civilian projects...

Cheers
Pedro
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:36 PM UTC
This is a great topic. I'm glad to see some enthusiasm toward the civillian end of our hobby.

As far as writing an article, I could whip up something on MS Word and take a few pix on my next build. It would be ugly, I'm sure, because I am NO writer so, I believe it would need some editing. And it wouldn't be submitted for sa while, because I only have limited use of the camera I use But, I will give it a shot.

I know there's at least one car-based campaign coming up with the Armorama 500. I have a Model King/AMT 70 GTO Circle track racer waiting to get slapped together for the race! I think some entries there would boost enthusiasm.

Somebody's drumming up enthusiasm for a civvie truck campaign. Get it in there. Build that F-150 thats sitting in your driveway only in 1/25! I want to do a custom GTO/El Camino Hybrid.

I really want to learn more too. I'm in the middle of a discussion on finishes here and in another forum. I'm so not good at gloss finishes and I've seen some that look like glass. I want to learn how to do that, and with a feature article here, I may.

I'm up for some support here. Let's kick it in the butt, eh?

Cuhail
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If it comes to photo features, then I could submit a few by the evening...
Don't realy know why I havent done this earlier.
Other thing is that I tend to model armor and civy vehicles in waves, and since I started going to the Armorama forum I 've done only armor and suspended civilian projects...

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro, I hear ya! In fact, I model sporadically in 1/35, 1/32, 1/25 and 1/160. Each never really going at the same time. I've stepped out of the 1/35 area right now and focus on 1/25. At the same time I am working on the train layout in N Scale. It's okay in my book to change focus. And, it's possible to keep focus on one thing and stay active in another. If Mr. Short Term Memory Loss-Murph can do it, so can Pedro!

Yo!
Cuhail
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:00 PM UTC
You can always submit it as a "general modeling" feature? - Just a thought to get the information on the site without any re-work by Jim
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:53 AM UTC
Alrighty then! Its great to see a little excitement on this topic. I can for one say that when I first got back into the hobby my view of car kits was "What a waste of plastic". Boy have I changed my view. Armor, aircraft, figures, sci-fi, ships etc.. I have done it all. I dabbled with a couple of cars many years ago, but my results were rather poor at best, and I think that is what turned me off to them. Since having knocked out these last few, I have gained a whole new respect for those guys who build them and build them well. I plan on getting something together with my next couple of builds and submitting them here. Joe, I'd like to pick your brain sometime in regards to some future builds I have. Anyway, thanks for all the feed back and response to this subject guys. I think Slodder's input about posting to General Modeling is a good call. Maybe if and once there is a bigger demand and or posting effort Jim would look at adding a seperate feature area. Thanks again for everybody's input. "Q" the newly-converted-car-builder
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 06:00 PM UTC
I would love to see feature articles, reviews and models on display of cars.
How to articles on pluming an engine or polishing the body paintjob would be very welcome.

I'm not sure my own modelling/writing skills are good enough for an article.
If there's any interest in car reviews, I would love to give it a try.

Ps. I'm currently working on a Dodge Viper (Donated by Graywolf) Will post in progress pictures soon.
fatfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 42 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:20 PM UTC
OK, I heard a number of times theterm modelgeek. You don't qualify as a geek unless you are totally nut about it. I love planes, tanks suit me fine. I paint figures occasionally and I think I will start on ship so I started buying them. Now, how can I not like cars, 1:1 most of all, but when I know that Ferrari 360 is definately out of reach, I started makeing the smaller versions mine. So, in the nut shell, I like scale models, all kinds, and anything that is a scale down version of something.
There is a saying in Chinese: toss out a pice of brick, and hope someone toss in a pice of jade in return. Starting something in car modelling is a very exciting proposal. So here is my piece of brick, may many jade return.

A Lambo half way build.
fatfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:28 PM UTC
Sorry, here is my piece of brick again.

Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 08:55 PM UTC
Very nice Edward. What kit is this? Is this the Ferrari 360 you mentioned?
I have a feature that I wrote up this morning, but have been unsuccessful in getting it submitted. I kept getting a "page not found" message. Hopefully it is just a temporary glitch. Once I can get it in and posted, you'll find it labeld "Avoiding OD Burnout". It is about my first venture into building a car kit. Thanks and I hope to see some other folks features make it on the site as well. "Q"
Donald99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 265 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:49 AM UTC
I could be wrong but it looks like a Lamborghini to me. Is it a Gallardo?
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Auto Modeler: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:25 PM UTC
Murcielago mabe? :-)
I hate them car manufacturers make 2 such similar models that on the first sight I cant tell which I am looking at right now :-)
Take for instance the new VW Jetta and Passat :-) , boy have they blew it :-)

But this one is Murcielago for sure
Nice metalflake finish Edward!

Cheers
Pedro
fatfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:33 PM UTC
Yes, Grzegorz, you're right. I try to answer ASAP but I had to work quit hard today at the office,( yeah, I do had a full time job) you got it right before me. The metalic colour is from Alclad II, Prismatic Scarabeus. Those strange paint that change colour when you look at it from different angle. I though it may look good on a Lambo. We'll see when its finish.
Now, where are those jades????

fatfrog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:06 PM UTC
OK, here is another brick. Send in your jades!

It a Revell Ferrari F1 2003GA. I am trying to build this one quick. The barge boards and the bottom plate are being thin to more scale thickness.

Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC
Matt, did ya get that feature submitted or still getting probs?

Cuhail
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 06:44 AM UTC
All right...I'd like to do a car review this weekend. I'd also like to here from you's on which one to do first. Choices are, NASCAR, Drag racing (Funny Car, Dragster, Pro Stock) Hot Rod/ Muscle Car. I'm also going to submit an article of handful of tips and tricks.

Joe
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 07:25 AM UTC
Well, I'm partial to hot rods and musclecars, so I can do that one. I say do NASCAR or something. Wait! I wanna do an old car, like a model T or something. That'd be cool. I dunno, what do YOU wanna do?

Cuhail
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:02 AM UTC
MUSCLE!!! 1970 Baracuda!! Perhaps I'll tell the story how I "lost" out on one, compliments of my, at the time, 4-day wife!

150 on the Speedo and, by gosh, I was doing that when we (the owner and I) hydroplaned into a gas station. SHeeeeeeeeeeIT, 'bout peed myself! Not to mention the owner! :-) :-)

Mike (++) (++)
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 09:39 AM UTC
I love it when a plan comes together... I still can't get an article submitted. Something about a test page from the server yada yada yada. I am leaving town for the weekend to do some scuba diving so I won't be able to do anything until next week anyhow. Hopefully the problem will be fixed by then. Joe, I am fond of muscle cars. I am currently working on a 70' Superbee Pro-street. I broke the axle yesterday and had to walk away before I crushed it. Will resume recovery operations next week. Thanks for keeping this one alive guys. "Q"
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 11:28 AM UTC
Matt I may have that piece in a parts box, can you email a pick of it.. and I'll go through the box for it.

If any one else is in need of a part, tire, rim/wheel or even a body, just let me know and I'll go through what I have, it's your for the taking if I have it.

Joe
 _GOTOTOP