NASCAR seats
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Auto Modeler: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 06:46 AM UTC
Greetings.
Just when did teams start making the change over to the more "modern" seats found in the monogram kits from about 1991 onward? I'm trying to figure just when to stop using those old-school seats found in the classic Monogram stock car kits (I know those old seats were gone by the late 1980s)

TIA.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 08:31 AM UTC
In the last 12 years NASCAR has been implicating new rules for the drivers safety. Not only are there the new yearly rules, drivers themselves have been making their own changes to the seats and only then they are to follow NASCAR’s guide lines. Today the seats are set up to take a high speed side impact crashes and absorb some of the energy of the crash by bending where the seat of yesteryear had no side head support and were stiff. Seats are taller, lighter and surround the driver. They pretty much relied on the window safety net to keep the heads and arms from exiting the window during a crash. Drivers today also have foam molds made up for themselves (like the F-1 cars), each car is made up (set up ) differently to the track their racing on. Driver are so buried into the seat that they pretty much relay on a team track spotter and a mirror or to that is attached to the car. And to add to the 5 point safety harness, driver must now wear a HANS (Head And Neck Support) device.

So to answer your question, well the seats will look different from driver to driver and from year to year. Your best best is to look for the year of car and track you want to build and go on from there. If you need any help or infomation just PM me and I'll do my best.

Joe
 _GOTOTOP