_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
NASCAR vs. F1
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC
I know on the armor side there can be a segmentation from US to German or Armor to softskin.

How about here? Do you do only NASCAR and NOT F1 or vice versa.
Why
Are the skills hard to transfer?
Are the tools different?

Or is it just because of availabiltiy
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hi Scott,
I don't watch F1 since it is not as competitive as NASCAR (when in F1 was the last pass for the lead on the racing surface?), but the F1 cars themselves facinate me. I've built several Cup cars (OOB) but no F1's yet. I am currently working on a Lotus 25 for the G-SYE! campaign (no AM, but fixing it up a bit). I also have a Williams' BMW (FW24?) in the wings looking for a start date.

What I have built more of actually is road racing Mustangs from the IMSA cars of the 80's and SCCA Trans AM series of the 90's. I also scratched a rollcage to create an SSGT (Showroom Stock Grand Touring) SCCA '96 Mustang.

The skills are the same, laying down a good, glossy paint job and patience with decals.

Reference material on current F1 cars though is much harder to come by because of all the secrecy the keep. Cup cars, you can get pit passes, walk right up and start clicking away on them. No secrets there at all, at least external to the engine that is.

Dave S.
cb1000f
KitMaker: 386 posts
Auto Modeler: 345 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:05 AM UTC
I love F1 and Nascar, i watch both, and build both. but i build more nascar models because the F1 kits cost around 80-100 bucks around here and that seems crazy to pay that much for a plastic model lol

slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC
I love the Tamiya offerings in the F1 and rally car arena.

My brother has built a bunch in 1/24 and has 3 1/12 scale F1 cars -they look like a blast to build.

I'm going to be doing a few MOD's of them so he'll be sharing in a bit.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC
Here in Europe, we don't get any Nascar races, let alone see them on tv but, from what I have seen from the past, most races are done on ovals.

This off course leads to other setups than F1 cars which race circuits.

There are a number of European touring car series though, like the German DTM series.

And my preference is there: series like the DTM, JTCC and BTCC.
cb1000f
KitMaker: 386 posts
Auto Modeler: 345 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here in Europe, we don't get any Nascar races, let alone see them on tv but, from what I have seen from the past, most races are done on ovals. .

they race road courses also., the bush series also goes to mexico, and soon to canada to do rmore road racing!

ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 02:20 AM UTC
I like Indy cars best followed by Nascar. F1 is last on the list probably more because I don't know the drivers or their teams
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Scott,
I don't watch F1 since it is not as competitive as NASCAR (when in F1 was the last pass for the lead on the racing surface?)

Dave S.

Hi Dave,

I guess you missed the last F1 race (Hungarian Grand Prix), over 50 passes on the racing surface. If F1 does not seem so competitive to some of us, it's partially because the FIA lets them race. In Nascar,... intentionally bunching up the field by throwing a yellow flag is the norm. It's a gimmick to try and get photo finishes where there should not none. Nascar also needs to start punishing the drivers that bump draft the leading car into a DNF, instead of punishing the victim for retaliation.

Enough of my rant As far as models are concerned, F1 cars (aside from the very expensive resin manufacturers such as Studio 27) are too few. The other problem is that Tamiya's F1 model series remains in 20th scale while the newer Revell's is in 24th. The Nascar models that I have seen are quite crude in both molding and details, but the choice is far better for Nascar fans.

My personal choice is neither.......... it's LeMans
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess you missed the last F1 race (Hungarian Grand Prix), over 50 passes on the racing surface. If F1 does not seem so competitive to some of us, it's partially because the FIA lets them race. In Nascar,... intentionally bunching up the field by throwing a yellow flag is the norm. It's a gimmick to try and get photo finishes where there should not none. Nascar also needs to start punishing the drivers that bump draft the leading car into a DNF, instead of punishing the victim for retaliation.

Frank,
No, I didn't see it, but where any a pass for the lead?

I agree that they should penalize the driver who causes the wreck and not the guy who takes retaliation (especially since it always seems to be one of the drivers I like getting wrecked - Junior vs. Edwards, Gordon vs. Kenseth)

You know that the yellow is not to intentionally bunch the field, remember that the tracks are much shorter. It is too dangerous for the safety marshals to work with that many more cars coming past that often. Some tracks like the one coming this Saturday Night are on tracks under a mile in length (Saturday's is 1/2 mile-.8km). At speed the cars are lapping once every 18-20 seconds. 43 cars in one half mile doesn't have quite as much unused real estate as 18 cars on a 2.5 mile road course. Indy tried using a system to keep the cars in the same relative place on the track throughout the caution when the yellow came out, that failed miserably.

A couple years ago at Michigan it was not uncommon for that race to run without caution interuption (I think two years in a row it happened). 250 laps on a 2 mile oval and the first to second place finish differential was still under one second.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen an F1 race since Mansel, Senna and Prost were running. I wish NASCAR would run more road courses, especially since that is my own racing background (SCCA).

$0.02 opinion of a gearhead.

Dave S.
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Frank,
No, I didn't see it, but where any a pass for the lead?

You know that the yellow is not to intentionally bunch the field, remember that the tracks are much shorter. It is too dangerous for the safety marshals to work with that many more cars coming past that often. Some tracks like the one coming this Saturday Night are on tracks under a mile in length (Saturday's is 1/2 mile-.8km). At speed the cars are lapping once every 18-20 seconds. 43 cars in one half mile doesn't have quite as much unused real estate as 18 cars on a 2.5 mile road course. Indy tried using a system to keep the cars in the same relative place on the track throughout the caution when the yellow came out, that failed miserably.

A couple years ago at Michigan it was not uncommon for that race to run without caution interuption (I think two years in a row it happened). 250 laps on a 2 mile oval and the first to second place finish differential was still under one second.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen an F1 race since Mansel, Senna and Prost were running. I wish NASCAR would run more road courses, especially since that is my own racing background (SCCA).

$0.02 opinion of a gearhead.

Dave S.

Regarding the Hungarian GP, I could of missed one or two drivers, but all of the following drivers led portions of the race, Kimi R., Fernando A., Nick H., Pedro de la Rosa, Michael S., and the eventual winner Jenson Button.

I do have to confess, that having watched 98% of all Formula races over the last 15 years, it has become mostly processional racing, the problem being that these race cars are at such a technological edge, that short of a driver mistake or a mechanical glitch, there simply are limited spots on a track to overtake. The FIA have tried to take steps to correct this, ( like last years one set of tyres per race rule ) but are usually overruled by cries from the drivers, that such rules are too dangerous, and team owners on the padoc still cringe at the thought of legal action. Similar to the 10+ year court battle brought about when Senna died in Italy, and Frank Williams (team owner) and Adrian Newey where charged by the Italian courts on counts of manslaughter.

Regarding Nascar, you are correct on the safety issue, specially concerning the marshals, on a short track, the danger aspects are constant. I too hope that Nascar will bring forth more road circuits. I tend to watch only the big Nascar races, but with JPM racing full time next year, I will try and catch more.

Frank
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:22 AM UTC
I would love to build both F1 and NASCAR. On both counts, I am somewhat intimidated, by the often huge amount of decals.
Ever since James Tremblett started showing his amazing NASCAR models, I have been very interested in building NASCAR's and F1's, if only I could get my hands on some micro-sol.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 03:50 PM UTC
Jesper, can't you get micro-sol shipped?

Isn't there a Kitchen alternative - something like vinegar? I vaugely remember hearing something like that.....
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:37 PM UTC
Well, purchased a Opel Vectra V8 team Holzer today ( Tamiya 1/24 ) which, allthough curbside, is one sweet kit.

Expect building pics soon
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesper, can't you get micro-sol shipped?

I've just found Micro-sol at Hannant's. Will give it a try for sure.

The vinegar method is worth trying as well. Got lots of old decals, for testing.
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 12:21 AM UTC
You want to watch exciting racing, you'll have to watch bikes, or if you must watch tin cans, watch British Touring Car Championship. Spills and trills garanteed, as the cars tend to use their body work to further their position in the field... . My favourite manouvre has to be the gentle nudge from behind on entry of the corner, causing the leading car inevitabely to slowly lose the rear-end and spinning off the track. Low speed and grassy verges make for regular recovery, and most of the time the shuntee can re-join the race... great stuff... :-)

Cheers
Henk
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
BTW, watched the Turkish GP today, and I'm so glad that Alonso managed to stay ahead of Shummi for second. I was dreading Michael passing Alonso to only see Massa (who by this time was some 12 seconds ahaed) hit his brakes to let Schumacher pass on the last corner... Massa was slowing down during the last laps as it is, to allow Alonso and Schumacher to 'catch up' just in case Schumacher managed to pass Alonso...

Cheers
Henk
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, watched the Turkish GP today, and I'm so glad that Alonso managed to stay ahead of Shummi for second. I was dreading Michael passing Alonso to only see Massa (who by this time was some 12 seconds ahaed) hit his brakes to let Schumacher pass on the last corner... Massa was slowing down during the last laps as it is, to allow Alonso and Schumacher to 'catch up' just in case Schumacher managed to pass Alonso...

Cheers
Henk

It should be very interesting to see what happens next year if Michael stays on and Kimi joins Ferrari. I can't see Kimi slowing down for M.S.

Frank
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 - 02:24 AM UTC
I wonder what the new season of A1gp is going to bring

Now that France no longer has the benefit of thrice the data..

_GOTOTOP