_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Revell Chopper Kit (in progress)
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Auto Modeler: 17 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 05:51 PM UTC
Just a couple of pics of one of Revell's entry level chopper kits (in progress). Basically a base coat of brass oversprayed with some translucent green to provide a metal flake look.

A question -- does anyone have an effective method for cleaning up seams on oob chrome pieces please? Once the seam is cleaned up, chrome paint to cover the seam work does not come close to matching the depth and shine of the oob chrome. Any ideas or help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Steve

The tank is shot in the base brass coat (to be followed with the green) as seen on the two other pices.

slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 09:00 PM UTC
The subtlety of the brass under the green is really nicely done.

I'm really sorry about the crome question -don't have an idea.
There are some really good builders who may be able to help.
The first one who comes to mind is cb1000f

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:17 PM UTC
Hey Steve,
Sick bike...love it. I too painted a chopper those same colors. Please be sure to post finished photos.

The chrome…well two way to go about it. First you can use strips of Bare-Metal Foil, you can get it at any Local Hobby Shop. Cut what you need and peel pack the paper and burnish with a Q-tip. I’ll work great. Second, get one of those silver autograph pens, the kind you can get from the crafts store. They work for small touch ups.

Here are some pics using both.

Bare Metal Foil...

Silver Pen...

Joe
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 10:29 PM UTC
Joe - you're holding out....
What about some more public shots of what looks like a funny car (last picture)?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2006 - 11:55 PM UTC
Yes Sir Scott it's a Funny Car, I did post it around March. Here is the link, story and many pics... Mooneyes Funnycar

Joe
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 12:43 PM UTC
What you have achieved so far, looks really good Steve. I love that clear green over metal base.
Sorry can't add anything to the chrome issue.
Removed by original poster on 10/05/06 - 01:31:07 (GMT).
cb1000f
KitMaker: 386 posts
Auto Modeler: 345 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
Looking good so far!!

for the chrome the best way would be to strip it all off and re-do it in Alclad II
http://www.alclad2.com/alclad-home.html

the BMF would work also.
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Auto Modeler: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies gents, and for the advice. As this is my first shot at some thing like this, your help is very much appreciated.

I've attached some pics of the finished bike. It's a "two footer", i.e. from two feet it doesn't look half bad, but the closer you get, some flaws start to become apparent. I think my old girl friends used to describe me in this same way (but they used greater distances!!!. :-)

Thanks again for the help.
Steve
ps: As a side note, I ruined the kit supplied oil tank and replaced it with a 1/35th Dragon T-34 external fuel tank from the spares box-- it fit into the frame almost like it was made for it.

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 06:11 AM UTC
Nice work Steve i like the color i think the entire chopper came good, i may have to try one myself.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 08:14 AM UTC
Brother that is sick, one sweet two wheel ride. I totaly love the graphics especialy the cross....how was that done.

Ok...I'd like to start something here. Lets set up a cyber club house, a place to park our bikes once they are finished. I've seen one or two other bikes built this year. We'll come up with a name and hopefuly Slodder can make it stick somewhere here.

Joe
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 - 11:22 AM UTC
Your chopper came out great Steve. I love the way the gold/green colors change depending on the angle and light. Very cool effect.
 _GOTOTOP