_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
What's Up WIth.. Car Models v. Toys
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 02:32 AM UTC
So, I've been posting a lot more in the automotive forum and I feel it's only right to bring my skills up to current speed. So, I arm myselft with a Michaels coupon and head to check out what I might buy to practice on.

Well I get to Michaels and was at first shocked at the prices, they were a bit high IMHO. But everything is getting expensive. Not my question....

I was more shocked to see about 1/3 of the kits on the shelf were 'shake and bake' - no paint needed, not only pre-molded in the correct colors, but pre-painted with racing stripes and trim. The only thing you needed was a bit of glue to assemble them. Even a good share were no glue necessary.

I remember growing up seeing the snap-tight kits and yes they still have a slot on the shelf. But I never remember so many kits that come off as toy like as these do. These come off as 'toy assemblies' vs. models. Am I 'off base' and 'over the hill' longing for 'the good'ol days?'

cb1000f
KitMaker: 386 posts
Auto Modeler: 345 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 02:42 AM UTC
Ya I notice a lot of those around also, with the die cast bodies too... I don’t like them myself, but they are good for young kids to make and get them interested in the hobby, so I don’t see a problem with them.

Prices on the other hand are getting a bit crazy lol
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 03:51 AM UTC
I've noticed that also, not the first time it been tried though, remember the old Monogram prepainted aircraft kits? Was a pretty good idea to attract little kids, but as they grew up, they wanted to get rid of seams, etc, and the fad fizzled out. I believe this turn around it more part of the instant gratification-collector mentality.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 04:03 AM UTC
I guess the little kids will want the model and the parents will pay the $15 for it?

I guess I"m not apposed to getting kids involved. It just struck me as not quite modeling.
Quite the predicament. How to get kids invovled?

Personally, I like the snap tight route, they can assemble and paint and get the whole experience.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hey, $15.00 is pretty cheap compared to what we spend on ours...far less gotten when com,paring the two, but the fun/happiness factor is worth it...I dread what I'm going to have to shell out fo allowance for my two kids....might need a second job!
Speaking of snap-tites, what happened to the variety they used to have...no good old warbirds to be had any more...I got lucky and nailed the Revel Panzer snap kit on ebay, and of course I have the Tiger and Patton kits{boy's only 1 1/2, but I want to be stocked/prepared}, but was that it?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 11:22 AM UTC
Yeah I also noticed the changes in the “Car” modeling choices, seems that the manufactures aren’t putting out cars like they use to. I have to say that I’m…was a big model car builder till all the new changes within the last 5-6 years. Lets look at it a bit more, back in the late 80’s mid 90’s there were many, many NASCAR kits out, all types and in many sponsor marking. Today you only see cars of ’Who Hot” it seems to have hit it’s peek, and not to mention all the licensing fee that were apposed. Heck… that’s what did away with all the NASCAR sponsor and contingences decals Slixx.com put out. If you look closely at a stockcar kit you’ll notice many of the contingences stickers are missing. One other thing that put a stop to this was that the Government put into a law that no cigarettes and alcohol sponsor models were to be made. Who wants a kit that only had “Earnhardt” across the rear fender. Yes today they now have the Bud car out, and you can only get it with proper I.D. of 21.

I also noticed that Drag Racing is falling into this as well. Today drivers are incorporating themselves, for instance look at John Force. Only two model kits were ever made, the Castrol Old’ funny car. Both released about a year apart in 1/24 and in 1/32. Now John has full force over what is sold under his name and I’m seeing this trend starting to form through the whole racing circuit. Now don’t get me wrong here, I see where they’re coming from. But at the same time they are a public figures, and I’m a fan, so I just cant’ see why I’m unable to get a model of said car. Back in the day of the old MPC kits, I bet drivers like Petty, Parsons or even Big Daddy Don Garlits didn’t mind at all.

Theses days I’m starting to see some of the older street/muscle cars hitting the shelves. Unfortunately there from AMT and are in poor shape. I bought a few and will not get anymore again.

I’ve also seen the trend of the diecast cars, all types and in many of the popular scales. I seem to think that too has reached it peek. Not only that I think they flooded the market with them, heck you can find them just about anywhere from TV to a corner store. Oh yeah, here’s were they get you…limited edition or only 5000 produced and my favorite after tonight they’ll be gone forever….right

Whoa did I ramble on or what, and we can keep going around and around with this, but yeah the model car days seem to have changed drastically, I only hope that it doesn’t end up on this end of the hobby.

Joe
 _GOTOTOP