_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Best Model Manufacturer?
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 03:34 PM UTC
So, way back when I was younger I used to build more car models and they would usually be Tamiya. I've seen my brother build Tamiya F1 cars and I just did a Revell review and it got me thinking (I know scary).

Who manufactures the best car models,and why?

From my limited exposure I would say Tamiya has a solid hold on a top spot. They do a great job with detail and fit.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 06:15 PM UTC
I've build a few Tamiya cars (not race cars, standard automobiles). Very nice models, they tend to be curbside though. A couple of the lastest snap fit Revell-Monogram cars I built with my kids (new Beetle and PT Cruiser) were exceptional kits, especially considering the were engineered as snap kits for children..
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 11:06 PM UTC
Yes, for me, the top is Tamiya and Revell/Monogram.

Tieing for 3rd: AMT Ertl and Fujimi.

Note: to me, no one has yet made the perfect car kit.

Tamiya tends to be curbside, and IMHO has too many ejection pin marks, Revell has softer details, vague color callouts and wrong Dutch numberplates, AMT has soft detail aswell, and especially some older kits suffer from warpage, and they tend to be limited to American cars, whereas Fujimi lacks in detail alltogether, and may want to invest in international instruction sheets.

Strong points:

Tamiya: fit, completeness, color options for body color and options for left right hand side drive.
Revell: engine detail, ease of construction, good use of metal parts.
AMT: if you want a good model of an US car, this is the place to go.
Fujimi: they do some cars that others don't.
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
For anyone interested in building themselves the finest (injection plastic) car models, pick up one of the Enthusiasts class Fujimi models in 24th scale. They make a series of Porsche 911's, Porsche 356's, Ferrari Dino's, Lamborghini Countach and BMW M series. The level of detail and fit tolerances are such that even Ferdi himself would approve..... We're talking crankshafts, pistons and many other details which once completed will be sealed and unseen. Most of these models have recently been re-issued, and are available..... give them a try.

Frank
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
I have to agree whole-heartedly with Frank. These cars were originally released in the mid - 80's and they still stand the test of time. They've added some of the more recent releases of Ferrari's and Lambroghini's to the fold. I would love to see some more of the classic Italian sports monsters like a Ferrari 512 BB, Maserati Ghibli or a real first class Lambroghini Muria. I've got a dozen and a half in my colection...that's about 66 % of my entire auto collection.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 03:43 AM UTC
Well for me I'd have to say Revell/Monogram has the best cars out. You have a bigger and wider choice, yes there the same molds year after year but you have plenty to work with. Their race cars pretty much stay the same but they do update them ever 3-5 years as the cars, interiors and any of the major changes come up.

AMT has some great choices out, some of their older kits are great. Some of their re-released kits are crappy…you know their old molds with a ton of flash. The newer NASCAR’s are well to me not worth buying, but their late and early 80’s -90’s cars were top notch.

One thing for sure is nothing beats an MPC kit. Man they were the greatest. They released some of the greatest car kits, civilian, TV and racing.

Tamiya kits do look great, I really can’t say more as I never built one. There was nothing they released that grabbed my interest. I have seen them and thought about buying one from time to time.

Joe
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 04:47 AM UTC
Any one have any thoughts on Heller - just snared one 'the-bay'.

Joe -you're right, Tamiya has never ventured into anything much civilian or even outside the F1/Ralley/Lamans type. Never thought about that.
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC
Heller = Work ......(lots of work!) but in some cases, it's the only game in town. They released a Matra LeMans car that is absolutely frightful,.... frightful enough for me to pass up, in hopes that some resin manufacturer in the future will fill in the void.

Frank
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 08:10 AM UTC
Thanks for the information Frank - I guess I got what I paid for $1, not bad, but I'll pay in effort....
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any one have any thoughts on Heller - just snared one 'the-bay'.

Joe -you're right, Tamiya has never ventured into anything much civilian or even outside the F1/Ralley/Lamans type. Never thought about that.

I thought Tamiya civilian street cars were very nice. The Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero), VW new Beetle are top notch kits of some good subjects. I had to check my stash and found a Toyota Carina, Ford Focus Rally Car, and a Ferrari F1 race car.

I would love to see them civilianize their military HMMWV kits into H1 Hummers.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 12:19 PM UTC
I prefer Revell/Monogram. Excellent fit, nice engines and clear instructions. Beeing a muscle car fan, their model range appeals a great deal to me.

I bought a Heller 1935 Delage. Not that many vintage car kits out there, so when I see one I usually buy it. When I looked at what was inside the box, I was not impressed. That model will need a lot of work. The front windshield frame is not fully cast. That will be very difficult to fix.

I have yet to try a Trumpeter car kit. Their Pontiac Bonneville hardtop and convertible are very interesting models.
 _GOTOTOP