_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
"Gentlemen! Start your engines!"-Mer. 300 SLR
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 02:40 PM UTC
This is 1955 Mercedes 300 SLR which won the Mille Miglia race that year.

I started building this months ago, but because of some things going wrong it took a lot of time. So, here we go... I found some reference pictures about the car:

I sorted the pieces by color and assembled the chasis (this is PAIN, real PAIN, thanks Revell )... I also assembled the parts to be painted with the same color. Pieces have considerable amount of flash... Imagine yourself cleaning the flash on BOTH sides of EACH tube, not even looking at it but watching the tv, for weeks!! Whatever, I managed after all... Parts are all cleaned and I sprayed Tamiya primer on them. I will start painting right away. The current situation is:

All comments and criticisms are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Cagin
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 04:22 PM UTC
I love the body piece - nice lines.

Tell us a bit of how you dealt with a round tube and a ton of sanding. What special considerations did you take to keep tubes round?
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 04:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the body piece - nice lines.

Tell us a bit of how you dealt with a round tube and a ton of sanding. What special considerations did you take to keep tubes round?

Thanks, Scott. I could do nothing much, just scratching and removing the excess with a #11 blade, then sanding to smoooth the surface, that is all. What helped a lot is that I applied the primer with a normal brush, without thinning. I used the thinner whenever I felt the brush stuck, that is all. The thickness of the primer helped the tubes become more round. They are not perfectly round still, though...

Best regards.
Cagin
Joker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 09:30 PM UTC
Hi Cagin,
I've had this one in my stash for a few years, what are you going to do about the wire wheels anything?. They looked somewhat rough to me when I looked at the kit. Wonder if anyone makes a replacemant?
Looking forward to this build
Cheers
Peter
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 09:32 AM UTC
Sweet little ride you got Çağın, going to be interested in seeing this one. Man I hear ya on cleaning up rollcages, they never seem to end What decals are you using...from the kit or something you will make on your own. I need to start mine real soon. Great Job....

Joe
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 02:09 PM UTC
Peter and Joe, thanks for the comments. As this is my first civilian car model, I think I will build is nearly OOB, just adding some interior details. Thus, I do not find myself motivated enough to replace the rims. I am well aware of the parts making the wheels being rough, but when you glue the three pieces together, it looks somewhat more convincing. May be if it looks too bad after finishin, I may consider making new ones. Similar thing applies for the decals, I will be using the ones supplied with the kit. For the seats, I may try to create a texture, but I do not know how I can at the moment.

While building, do not ever forget that the plastic glue does not affect parts, they do not stick together. For all parts, use CA glue.

Best regards.
Cagin
 _GOTOTOP