_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Chrome Touch Ups
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:50 AM UTC
So, I'm now knee deep in the auto world and have started my Top Fuel dragster. Wow, it's such a joy working with an older kit.

So, this kit came with chrome sprues and inevitably there are places on the chrome part where I need to touch up the chrome paint. From what I see of BMF it's best for large contiguous areas.
What would any of you recommend for small 'patches'? Or should I just go BMF and scarpe off a large area?
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 12:57 AM UTC
Scott for small touchups i use Testors chrome silver enamel paint it does a good job on very small spots, for large flat areas you can use BMF, there is one other way the link below, these guys replate plastic chrome parts not cheap but looks interesting.

http://www.chrometechusa.com/
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 10:16 AM UTC
Ah yeah those little chrome knicks, Scott this is a great tip, you know those silver autograph pens you can buy from those arts and crafts stores, the ones you have to shake with the ball in them. Well the marking paint is very close to chrome. Look at the photo, see the wheelie bars and fire extinguisher, well they were touched up with such pen. If I can recall the pen costs around 5-6 dollars, but well worth it. Looking forward to seeing progress photos

Joe
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2006 - 05:31 PM UTC
Great tips - thanks.

I'm going to compare both and give some post updates.

Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
I use a Pentel 750 silver pen myself with excellent results.
http://www.pentel.com/. They have other colors in various tip diameters too ( as for the 750 line, gold, silver, copper, black and white are must haves )

And...

Off course, there is Alclad II chrome too. ( which I haven't used yet, but heard very good stories about ).
 _GOTOTOP