For Formula 1 racing modelers.
"Gentlemen- Start your Engines!" - Dixon66
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 07:01 PM UTC
This is the Tamiya 1/20 Lotus 25 Coventry Climax. I added gauge wiring harness, brake lines, brake caliper equalization tubes, sparkplug wires andthe intake screening.

The markings were modified to represent one of Jim Clark's entries in 1962, before the yellow stripe was added down the centerline of the car.

Sorry about the photos, I used my wife's camera and it isn't built for this type of work. At least I know not to try using it again.

Dave S.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
Very nice work David i have always liked the looks of this Lotus, you have put some nice details into it, and your pictures aren't to bad.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 08:18 PM UTC
Very nice - I like these older cars, tons of character. You've brought this to life quite well
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 01:17 AM UTC
Thanks guys,
Its a great little kit of a time when drivers were drivers not corporate spokesmen. I guess they also had to be a little on the crazy side as these cars were not equipped with seatbelts (better to be ejected than trapped was the thinking of the time).

If I have a chance over the next few days, I'll try to take some better pictures. My camera's macro function is much better than her's and allows me to really get in close.

As an aside, on this kit I stripped all the chrome (so I could really clean the mold parting lines well) and repainted it with Alclad. Since the chrome spure was molded with black plastic, I didn't have to paint it black before the Alclad Chome went on. This was my first time using it and it will not be the last.

Dave S.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:55 AM UTC
I really like this old Lotus. Been on my wishlist for a long time.
You've certainly done an excellent job on this old beauty.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC
If new pictures are an option so is a Model on Display
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 08:04 PM UTC
New pics on the horizon, just picked up new batteries for my camera on the way into work this morning.

I hope to go camera crazy tonight as I have three things finished (in the last two weeks) and two at an in process point that warrants pictures. Plus its an excuse to clean the workbench and regroup for the end of the year push.

Dave S.
Pedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Auto Modeler: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 03:57 PM UTC
Hi David!
I love your Lotus, the shen on the body is really nice and the Alclad looks very convincing I know I've been a bad leader for the campaign, but I'm glad you folks are keeping it alive I'll make the ribbon over the next few days, and will have to start on my entry cause there's not much time left
Anyone knows how to set up a gallery for the campaign?

Sory for and cheers for your beautiful model! Oh, and bring on the rest of the photos!

Cheers
Greg
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
Nice work! Kudos!

On a side note, I know exactly what you mean on the camera issue. My two choices are: Phone camera (what a joke) or waiting to see if I can borrow the work camera (High $$$$ Canon Digital) which I never really understand well enough to get really good pix. Something about my understanding of Depth of Field really throws my pix off the cliff.

Cuhail
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi all and thanks again.

I put some new photos in my gallery.

Pedro: These builds get me off my butt and actually building something so no worries on the gallery not being up. I'm sure Scott can help out with that too.

Cuhail: About the best advise I can give is to make sure that the digital camera you are trying to use has a aperture setting that can be adjusted. Use a tripod and set the aperture to the highest number (this is the smallest size opening). This will give you the greatest depth of field.

Thanks again all.

Dave S.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:49 AM UTC
Nice build Dave. Love the detail, right down to the brake lines and workings. The paint work is super, looking at the photos it's a mirror finish. Another interest is it's year...the year I was born in. Great Job!

Joe
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
Thanks Joe.

The paint was Humbrol (dark green, I think. I forget the number). Just the usual light wet sand and Future before decals, then another coat of Future after decals.

Humbrol can be a bear to wet sand, it seems to be a little softer than Model Master enamel or Tamiya Lacquer.

Dave S.
cb1000f
KitMaker: 386 posts
Auto Modeler: 345 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 03:53 AM UTC
Excellent work!!
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 06:54 PM UTC