_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Build Order?
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 06:39 PM UTC
I know from an armor background there are typical build orders that take place or sub-assemblies that are done.

How about on the automotive side. What are your typical build orders?

Secondary question, do you fully assemble the engine before painting or do you leave certain parts off of it?

My style is falling into an engine subassembly, wheel subassembly, frame sub, interior sub.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
Scott i always paint the body first on my models than i start on the rest of the model it gives the paint plenty of time to cure before i buff it out, my engine block and heads next than add all the small painted parts after as it is sometimes impossible to reach some of those tight spots, next for me interior than add the small parts chassis and body parts.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
Usually I end up starting with the engine block and heads first, then body and then the interior major components. I paint all the major assemblies first then paint and add all the smaller components seperately.

I guess I start with the engine first because that was the order on the instruction sheets when I first started building 30+ years ago. :-) :-) :-)

Dave S.
 _GOTOTOP