Scale truck modeling topics.
Australian Road Train Questions
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 03:05 AM UTC
Was just wondering about some of the stuff that I hoped to see while I was in Australia, but didn't. Questions about an Australian Road Train:

1) The trucks that pull, are they normal trucks or are they beefed up? For example, larger motors, different trannys, strengthened axels and the like.

2) Do the haulers have sleepers and other paraphernalia added to the outside, ie. parabols, anntenas, etc.

3) How many trailers can a road train have as max?

4) Are Trailers normal or are they made specificially for Australia?

5) What hitches are used from hauler to first trailer, and trailer to trailer?

I'm starting some research to do something in this line and would be appreciative for any help!

Happy New Year!!
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC

Wow, never thought it could get this big! In certain area of Australia can road trains like this be commonplace!!!

Quite the novel idea, traincars as cargo on a road-train!! All photo's courtesy outbacktowing.tripod.com.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:00 AM UTC
Brian,

You might want to consider posting you question on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/modeltruckdiscussions/ these guys only deal with model trucks, and they might hae some answers.

Good luck!

Adjö!

Jim
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the tip! Sent in my application, waiting for the results...
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:06 AM UTC
In the past, both Italeri and Revell had Australian road train kits.. they may turn up at E-bay occasionally.

Not as long as your pictures though.

And, such a road train only works on long straight roads.. I wouldn't do it in Europe lol
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 02:51 AM UTC
Brian,

Hope to see you over there. Lots of good modelers from all over the world with great info.

Jim
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 05:26 PM UTC
I sent my bio to the e-mail like they said I should, but got a failure back stating something about IP being banned... don't know what's up with that. I hope that doesn't bar me from joining, I'm sure there is a lot of untapped info there!!

Richard: I saw a pic of the record setting roadtrain, it was about 1km long. It was driven 8km on a normal road. I'm sure that road had to be straight!!! I'll see if I can find it again!!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 06:57 PM UTC
Sorry to hear that. I wonder why your IP is banned. Strange. Tell you what, I'll post your message there and let you know if there are any responses.

Jim
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 02:28 PM UTC
Thanks for your help JIm! I don't know what the IP stuff was all about, but all is well that ends well!!
nedlloyd
KitMaker: 2 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2007 - 02:42 PM UTC
Hello guys, I am new here...so this is gonna be my first message here...so I hope it will come in handy...

Brian,

your question depends on what kind of truck you are going to build.

They build their own trucks down there that are different comparing to the US ones. They have larger gear boxes (more gears) and also strong engines...but...600HP is common for both US and Aussie trucks.

Very larg problem was for example to keep the engine in the right temperature as with three (or more) trailers this is a bit different job in such conditions...you know....HOT HOT weather, dust...etc.

The weight of the whole truck probably means different axles, propshafts and stuff like that so I'd generally say that Aussie truck is definitely not the US one. It has to be modified. Its a special market.

How about trailers? Well...all special made for Australia. Its omething between us and euro trailers, mixture of both.

To make some example..just look at my current project... Its a Mack Magnum. Looks like european Renault Magnum but that's just the cab. It has different axles, engine, gear box...the whole chassis is "australyzed" to be able to make that job.

I used a lot of resin parts and etched stuff for that... I didnt know it at the beginning...but this is a hell expensive project...

I bought two Auslowe's trailers to make a B-double set up with one normal trailer and one lead trailar with 5th wheel. Those sets are called "b-doubles" and concernins their size and weight...they can be compared to 60tonne sets from Sweden...about 22-25 m long.

So...thats about Australian trucks... just ask anything if you are interested...or write me a message...

Cheers

Jan
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Thanks for the input! It will be awhile untill I can build, but hoping to get things on the road sooner than later...

Thanks again for the offer of information, I will definitely fire some question away when the time comes...

Welcome to the group!!
rwaldram
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 44 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hi all, i'm new to the group and due to the fact that i live in Australia i think i can shed some light on this topic.
1) Road trains mainly operate between Adelaide and Darwin, basically straight up the centre of the country.
2) Most of these trucks are just your standard Aussie truck, being that they are pretty much all V8's, have extra fuel tanks (2 on each side) and all have sleepers. A must for these vehicles (as with most trucks in australia) is the bullbar and driving lights.
3) The average load for these trucks ten years ago was 3 standard length trailers however now it's more common to see them with a 'B-Double' as part of the leading trailer, these can haul anything from cars to cattle, i've got a great couple of photos of one truck with 4 trailers full of avaition fuel.
4) As a general rule, these trucks are pretty standard (as mentioned previously) however the odd one will have a third drive axle or twin steer and twin drive.
I hope this helps, if you have any queries about this matter please dont hesitate to contact me, if it helps, i was also an army truck driver for a number of years.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:29 PM UTC
While I don't readily have an answer to your question, I do have a nice site for you to check out...
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com
 _GOTOTOP