_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
I want to know what I'm gluing together
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC
One aspect of this hobby that I enjoy, is trying to learn something about the parts (and their function) of the models I am building. I've built many cars and trucks wondering what it is I am gluing on/together. As you can tell I am not a mechanic, not even on a hobby basis. I'm wondering if there is a gracious sole out there in the Modelgeek virtualness that could help!

I guess I could take a photo of every piece, but am wondering if there isn't a better way of doing it? Any thoughts on this??

Thanks in advance!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 01:13 AM UTC
Hey Brain,
Good question, a little hard to answer. What I mean is there are many different parts from car to car and things changes through out the years. Also what model car you doing, what brand, make, year and what kit. There isn't to much that goes into a model car...drive train, engine, trany, frame and body.

I just did a google. com image search using the words "exploded engine view'..."exploded car view and so on and got results showing a parts break down. I'm sure we can help more if we know what we were looking at, or knew what kit your doing.

Good luck man,
Joe
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 02:14 AM UTC
You have brought up things that I didn't even think about, super! I was asking in general terms and maybe that can't be done very easily.

In a couple of weeks time I'm going to be able to start modeling again and cars seem to be my fancy right now. I'm going to start on an AMT/ERTL 53' Corvette and a Revell Dodge Sidewinder. Probably will after those do a Tamiya Porsche GT2 911 and a Tamiya Ferrari Enzo. I enjoy doing custom work so I might take and do some scratchbuilding afterwards sometime. I don't have too many cars in my stash so I'll probably try to get some good buys on ebay and whatnot.

Thinking about the 53' Corvette, would it be sacrilege to pump it up? I mean to change out the motor and trany. The first Corvette wasn't known for it's speed or acceleration. I'm thinking of a scenerio where someone around 65' got a hold of a 53' or 54' (they were essentially the same I've understood) and wanted to put more muscle under the hood, with possibly something sticking out of the hood? Would that work?
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 05:28 AM UTC
wikipedia is awsome. I have recently jumped into auto building in a big way and had to do a Bunch of research on how engines work on how dragsters work (in my example).
www.wikipedia.com has really helped out.

Plus people like Joe (mother) really know thier stuff, check out his feature on plumbing an engine here
they can help too.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 08:46 AM UTC
Ah yeah horsepower, you gotta love it. To answer your question about a bigger engine, yes you can swamp out. You can put in a small block 350 or a big block 396. You may have to modify your kit just like the real thing. I’m not that sure though because I never built a 50’s Corvette (real or kit). As for dressing up the engine well you can add on a blower system, a high-rise manifold and 2 four barrel carburetors. And if you’d like to go higher, well you can throw on some stacks onto the carbs. As for the tranny well use the one that came with the engine.

Here's is a look at what can be achieved with some kit bashing.

I have a ton of parts that can work and help you out. If there's anything you need just PM me, ask what is need, then give me a address and their on there way to you..no problem

Joe
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 12:05 PM UTC
Thanks for your input!!

Scott: Those are some of the features that have sparked (ha,ha,ha) this idea! The idea of using wiki's sound great too! Thanks!

Joe: Gotta love that pic!! It is exactly something like that I'm thinking about. I've got the Beachboys ringing inside my head "She real fine my 409..." but a big block will do at 396. Thank you for your generous offer! I'll think a little bit about it and get back to you.
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 10:09 PM UTC
Another great place to learn about car parts is the reference section of a library. They usually have many tech manuals for various cars.
capnjock
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 11:15 PM UTC
The old Revell models were good for an automotive education. When these old kits were released, the instructions pointed out the magneto, distributor, starter, manifold, etc. Of course, these were the days when the Revell car kits had opening doors, separate chrome trim strips, etc.
 _GOTOTOP