_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
PHOTOS: WALKAROUND
Drag Race Pit
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 06:41 AM UTC
Joe aka mother shares some of old race photos with us. He has quite an extensive background not only around the race track but on it and participating in it. Here he shares some of his photos of the NEC team at work.
Enjoy and use them as reference photos

Gallery

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thank you Joe - another great site addition!
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 - 06:38 PM UTC

Ya know, I look at Armorama and see all the ex-military guys who build what they know and how they always kick in on how the 1:1 really was when they had access to it. It helps a lot of Armor modelers out to have such first hand knowledge at their disposal.
The same goes for us here at ModelGeek now, because not many people know about Joe's racing background and how much he put into the sport. And how much it took out of him.
Thank you Joe, I appreciate all you have done and how much you bring to Modelgeek. You are a wealth of Straight-Track knowledge and I intend to soak up all the info you bring.
Now, I suppose it was long enough ago that John Force's daughters weren't quite at the "HOT!" age level yet? And even though Shirley Muldowney was never "hot", it rocks that ya got to meet her. She IS history.
How 'bout Snake and Mongoose? Did'ja get to meet Don and Tom? All growing up I had the Matchbox/Hot Wheels versions of their Funny Cars. If anything stands out from my youth about Funny Cars, it was always the Snake/Mongoose races on ABC Wide World of Sports.
Thanks for being there Joe.

Now Share!

Cuhail
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hey Murph...Thanks! No I never got to see John's daughters My stint was short with the Force camp and John was/kept busy inside his camp. As for the As for the Snake and Mongoose team of Tom & Don, no I never had the pleasure. I do have some of their model kits.

If there was a F/C driver to meet, well that would have been Jim “Jungle Jim” Liberman. Jim was the John Force of the 70’s. Jungle’s career was cut short after suffering fatal injuries in a head-on collision with a bus on 1977. Not only was Jim an icon on the track, his lady friend was just as big. She was know as Jungle Pam who wore daisy dukes and go-go boots

Here are a couple of links with some great photos of F/C’s in the 70’s along with Jim and Pam’s sites.

70's F/C's

Jungle Jim, Pam

Joe
fanai
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 11:29 AM UTC
Joe just a little 'ello and I actually built a model of his funny car way back in the late 70's - brings back memories mate
Ian
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 12:39 AM UTC

Wow, Joe. I just spent an hour or so just scrolling through those two great links.
Jungle Pam was smokin! That's an awesome hook back then with a hottie lining the car up, pouring bleach for burnouts and just "being visible" on the track. Brilliant!
Good links, Joe. I bookmarked 'em.

Cuhail
 _GOTOTOP