_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
1965 Ford Galaxie 500XL (WIP)
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:15 PM UTC
I finally have some progress shots of my slightly customized Ford Galaxie.
The kit is AMT's 1/25 1965 Ford Galaxie 500XL. As usual this AMT kit features flash, bad fiting and a general lack of details.

I have lowered the suspension, put big wheels in the back, and shaved of the doorhandles and Ford markings.

This is the first time I try to spraypaint a car kit. Not as easy as I had hoped. I have had to strip the paint twice. The first time, the paint just looked awful. Second time I burnt through the paint, when I polished it.

Sanding and polishing a car kit, is also a first time for me. I have used the Novus polishing system. Works very well. If you don't burn through the paint that is

This is just a dry fit. The white stuff on the body is polishing compound.

slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
Not a bad 1st spary/polish job - well 3rd

Be careful pulling that tape away, clear tape can pop paint off easily. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the larger tires in the rear. I may not have lowered the suspension quite as much. Quite a personal thing though when you're 'tricking' out a car.

I do like the 'shaving' you did, give it a great sleak look.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 - 06:34 PM UTC

Hey Jesp,
I think it's coming along nicely. The paint looks good. Almost a "wet" look, which is what you should be going for. A key factor in a good spraycan paintjob is, keep the can 12" from the subject while spraying. Do a very light coat first and 15 minutes later, do the first full coat. Keep it light, but, cover the surface completely with paint. Set aside under a shoebox or something for at least 6 hours and repat the full coat process. About 4 or 5 coats is where I stop and I try to just let it cure for a week. THEN I pull out the polishing systems. Hope this helps.
What are ya gonna do with the trunk? I see you opened it up. Whats the plan, Stan?
The big wheels don't look bad in my eyes. I do that myself being a fan of the "old school" look.

I like it,
Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 06:30 AM UTC
Nice work sofar Jesper the paint looks good and i like the big tires i am not into low riders but it still looks good.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 11:11 AM UTC
Thanks guy's.
The pictures were taken after I had polished it with the Novus heavy scratch remover. Last night I polished parts of the body with the fine scratch remover. Boy what a difference that made. Gave the body a very nice shine.

Robert: Ever since you showed your amazing results with the Novus polishing system, I have been hunting high and low for it. Not very easy to find in Europe. A few weeks ago I found it in Holland. Highly recommendable stuff.

Scott: I like the clean look too. Will add some chrome triming though.

Murphy: I will definitely try your method of spraypainting next time. I probably didn't wait long enough between coats and definitely started polishing far to soon.
The kit comes with an open trunk. The plan with the trunk, was to glue it shut. There's a spare tire and a jack in the kit, but theres no way they are going in the trunk of this one. You've really got me thinkin' Murphy. Speakers, NOS system hmm?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
Hey, what ever happened to this one bud?
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hi Bob

I finished that one long time ago
http://www.automodeler.com/forums/107903#889723

You probably missed it, since I put the finished model in a new thread.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:34 PM UTC
Sorry I missed it...very nice build!
 _GOTOTOP