Disclaimer: The image above was supplied by the manufacturer and painted by their artists.
about the figure
The figure represents an Anglo-Saxon Warrior with battle axe in VII century A.D. His appearance shows he was a Thegn
,nobleman-warrior supervising a group of Getish
. The word Getish was the early Anglo-Saxon word describing a companion or the military retainer of a king. Later came to mean a senior noble landholder in the same sense as Thegn.
The figure comes in 125 x 85 x 30 mm.standard Romeo Models light blue cardboard box. The front cover shows a photo of the painted figure from 2 different angles front and back side. On the back side of the cover, some general info about figure kits in different languages and Romeo Models company info like address,phone/fax number, website and e-mail address are noted.
Inside the box, there is a paper sheet including a short historical note about Anglo-Saxons and painting instructions for this figure. This document is prepared by Marco Giuliani
and presented in 2 languages; Italian and English.
Parts are well protected between two slabs of thick white polyfoam and figure base is placed seperately under the polyfoam to protect parts from an unexpected damage.
The figure is sculpted by Italian master Gianni La Rocca
and made up of 8 white metal parts. The parts are cast clean and crisp in very good details. There is only one vertical, slightly visible seamline on both sides of the cloak and it can be easily cleaned with a knife or sandpaper. No more need for a serious cleanwork, sanding or filling. A fast brushing with a metal brush and washing the figure will make it ready for priming.
The first main part is upper torso with cloak. He wears a cuirass over his Haubergeon
, chain mail shirt that reaches mid-tight. The rectangular shape knee-length cloak is attached with a metal brooch on the right shoulder. Anglo-Saxon cloaks are usually colored with vegetable dye in sky blue, olive green or brick red but also can be painted in chequered pattern or tartan design.. The folds on cloak, leather belts and shield strap, metal brooch of cloak and buckles are well represented. The mound on this part make the assembly to the lower torso part very easy and a perfect fit
The second main part is lower torso with legs. He wears ample trousers under his knee length tunic and chain mail hauberk. There are cloth or leather straps wound closely about the calf to confine the loose folds of the ample trousers and providing protection from cold and dirt in bad weather conditions. These strap leggings are called Wininga
. The footwear is leather shoes made of cow hide which are called as Scoh
Other parts are;
- Head : He wears an iron helmet with decorations in brass over his mail coif. The helmet has a half facial mask that covers the forehead, cheeks and nose.
- Battle axe : Wooden handle and steel blade grabbed in two hands as the primary weapon.Left hand and right forearm are cast with the battle axe. There are metal bracelets on both wrists.It makes a good fit to the upper torso.
- Sword : He carries a long sword with short cross guards in scabbard. Hilt, hide grip and pommel are in bronze or silver. Scabbard can be painted in leather with bronze chape.
- Dagger : He carries a single edged dagger known as Seax, attached horizontally on the left side of his weapon belt.
- Shield : He carries a round shape shield hanging on the back with a leather strap. The 2 mounds on the shield fit the holes on the back very good and in this way, shield can be easily placed in correct position. Anglo-Saxon shields were constructed of wooden planks and covered with stout cow hide. This leather cover both protects the wooden face from slashing strokes and holds the structure together. They also had big ferrous metal bosses in stiff conical construction which protects the hand and makes the shield an offensive weapon. The boss in this shield is in sugar loaf form, typical for VI and VII centuries. It can be painted in one color, multi colored, decorated with animal designs or geometric patterns as shown in boxart.
- Figure base ; Ground texture and small rocks are well represented.
High quality casting, ease on clean and assembly, smooth fit, nice details and pleasure to paint a colorful figure.
Note that this is a Pegaso Models Warranty covered product