by: Frederick Boucher [ ]
Originally published on:
IntroductionDER MASS:STAB - Herpa's Cars & Truck Model Magazine is Herpa’s ambassador to the modeling world: an ideal magazine for all hobbyists. You will find lots of interesting information about Herpa and our new releases in this magazine designed for experienced collectors, model builders, and car enthusiasts. Diorama fans will discover intriguing articles as well. Entertaining and exciting stories about the original cars and trucks, and other interesting topics dealing with 1/87 scale models make this magazine a great treat for all Herpa fans. 
DER MASS:STAB is published six times a year. You can subscribe to it, or buy it from selected news stands in German railway stations, or from hobby shops around the world.
Instead of reviewing each issue in the usual format, I will show you the main articles in the featured issue. You will find what particular information is available.
DER MASS:STAB 3/2011The issue opens with an editorial and current stories, specifically a circus diorama. Next the magazine notifies the reader where Herpa will be presenting themselves in shows this year. Further, a new club semi is shown, a special edition truck for shipper Ernst Höbel.
TITELSTORY / COVER STORY
This issue’s feature story is Ein Schwede Aus Schottland (A Swede from Scotland), the Volvo P1800 S. A Swede with a body compressed in Scotland, assembled in England, featuring an Italian design which has gained world fame because of an internationally successful television series. If that doesn’t make a global player, what does?. The Volvo P1800S is a true international vehicle which is now also displayed at home as 1/87 scale miniature. For the first time, Herpa is taking a chance at a Swedish car.
To be considered a reputable car manufacturer, you need a sports car in your portfolio. That’s what Assar Gabrielsson, general director of Volvo, thought too, who established the brand together with Gustaf Larson in 1926. Inspired by the recently launched Chevrolet Corvette with plastic body, Gabrielsson ordered a US plastics specialist to manufacture a small series convertible. 
NEUHEITEN / NEWS
An exciting section showing innovations we will be seeing in the future.
REPORTAGE / REPORTING
• Die Farbe Lila, the trucks of Stelzl Transport & Logistik Company (The Color Purple , the trucks of Stelzl Transport & Logistics Company. Purple fleet livery with amazing white airbrushed images.
• So Kommt Die Konfitüre Auf Den Frühstückstisch, the trucks of Bernhard Land Internationale Spedition (So the Jam Comes on the Buffet Table, the trucks of Bernhard Country International Forwarding). Herpa produces a dozen models in the varied livery of this motor company.
• Der Neue Allrad-Hauber Fürs Gelände (The new all-wheel-terrain Hauber , Mercedes-Benz Zetros heavy truck for military, disaster-relief, snowplows, and heavy transport .
• VESPA Sympathy = Vespathy, history of the Vespa motor scooter, and Herpa's model Vespa.
UMBAU / CONVERSIONS
• Aus Drei Mach Eins (Lumber from three Mach Ones), kitbashing highly detailed Mercedes-Benz SK and Actros trucks into lumber transports.
• Eine Spedition In HO: Eaton Rotterdam (Forwarding in HO, Eaton Rotterdam), MASS:STAB reader and heavy load specialist J. A. M. de Kort from Holland has specialized in rebuilding heavy load trucks. For that, he established his own transport company which, in the H0-scale, appears in the colors blue and yellow. For us, he staged his large fleet and the nicest reconstructions on a diorama. 
J. A. M. de Kort mainly focused on new constructions and improvements of vehicles where the model builder pays special attention to the color combination of his own forwarding company Eaton from Rotterdam. But the Dutch, working in Holland, also minds the perfect trappings. No matter if warning signs, double taillights, mud flaps or additional headlamps – anything decorating the vehicle needs to be added. We present a selection of his most beautiful models in this issue. 
• Neue Typen Selbst Gebaut (New types of self-built ), kitbashing a BMW 6er and BMW 5er into a convertible
• Alles Paletti (Everything Palettes), a diorama featuring super-detailed models in a palette manufacturer company.
Die Neubausiedlung (The Housing Development), a large diorama of the construction of family homes featuring Herpa’s vehicles transporting and setting Herpa’s prefabricated concrete house. All manner of the construction process—bulldozing, concrete pouring, paving, landscaping, etc., is represented.
Finally, a section on book reviews, upcoming events and DER MASS:STAB articles of the next issue, and Herpa Club news:
• Wanted and For sale items, model shows and events calendar, and book reviews.
Please remember, when contacting retailers or manufacturers, to mention that you saw their products highlighted here - on Railroad Modeling.
, , , ,  (Herpa DER MASS:STAB, 2011)