Well, my Porsche 917K build has crossed the finish line, and my 1st AutoModeler build is in the books.
The few final touches have been addressed such as the lights and lenses installed, the main windshield installed, as both fit like a glove.
In the old days we called them side curtains. Those are the plexi-glass insert windows for the drivers pit, and there is a smaller built in sliding "window" that can be opened by hand by either the driver or a crew member. Those plexi inserts should be a clear yellow, but are just clear in the kit. So I air brushed the insides of each one Tamiya Clear Yellow, and they look perfect. Unfortunately, they were oversized and not quite square to the opening. Some sanding and a little more massaging later, and they popped right in.
And finally the rear brake light lenses. In the kit they're just clear. They should be as called out in the instructions half clear red and half clear yellow. So I painted the mounting plate for each one silver, then hand painted the lenses on the outside Tamiya Clear Red, then the other half Tamiya Clear Yellow. You just couldn't paint the backs as the look from the outside was completely off. I finished both lenses with a few light coats of Pledge. Once installed, they looked just fine.
The windshield whipers were a little fiddly to build, but it fits just fine, and the blades actually laid down on the windshield.
And now the final step, Tamiya Black recessed panel line wash for the various doors and panels that just don't look right with bright, glossy White paint in them. The wash went on without any issues, and I removed the excel with Turpenoid damp Q-tip.
Thanks to everyone whose stopped by to look at my build progressing to the finish line, and a special thanks to all of you who took the time to post your comments. They're always most welcome.
And now here's the Porsche 917K as she crossed the finish line last night.