login   |    register
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Completed junkyard '53 Ford (pics)
Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Joined: June 07, 2004
KitMaker: 119 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:34 PM UTC
Well, think I am done with this project for now...unless I get some more ideas for it (dio maybe?) I gotta say it was a lotta fun to build, especially since it was an "accidental build" anyway. So here are some pics..enjoy!
As always, criticism welcome!



NOSFERATTU
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
Joined: November 24, 2004
KitMaker: 231 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 10:29 PM UTC
Good,very good oldness.Maybe front chromes more old possible,maybe.Congratulations.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Joined: June 29, 2004
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 10:54 PM UTC
That looks great Allen. A model build this way will look it's best in a dio.

Did you paint the rust on the chrome the same way you painted rust on the rest of the body?
Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Joined: June 07, 2004
KitMaker: 119 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 12:00 AM UTC
Thanks Hwa-rang...the rust on the chrome is strictly some lightly brushed on Testors "rust" color paint, I havent quite figured out how to accurately capture this project in a pic...looks a little better in real life IMO.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Joined: March 05, 2004
KitMaker: 4,009 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 10:09 AM UTC
Hi, interesting project.
Did you drill out the engine block (cylinders) like that?
The rear window looks perfect.
I agree with Hwa-Rang about a dio setting.
What are the cynder blocks from or made from?


rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Joined: December 07, 2004
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 12:54 PM UTC
Your junker looks great i think you should put it on a base ad some ground work and maybe a fender and door from another car, make your own junkyard. i am working on my Chevy Belair junker now it will be called junk yard dog i even found a 1/25 bulldog to go in the Dio.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
Joined: January 08, 2005
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 06:58 AM UTC
Nicely done
where did you get those bricks ???

Also, personally, I would try to add some oilstains somewhere.
Bishop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Joined: June 07, 2004
KitMaker: 119 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 10:15 PM UTC
Sorry for the late responses to this guys, been busy remodeling my bathroom....Anyway, the cynder blocks were made from a large block of green foam, with a #11 razor blade and then painted light grey (they are a little big in my opinion, but I always drink when I model so scale sometimes gets the best of me...heh)
KoSprueOne, I used the kit pieces and drilled out the cylinders in the 'heads' by hand, omitting the valve covers...made for a nice touch IMO....
Snowhand...after a short break from this project, I think I will touch it up a bit with some oil stains and a few rust spots I feel I missed, so I guess a model is never "complete".....
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
Joined: April 01, 2002
KitMaker: 4,285 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 03:16 AM UTC
Bishop, nice one. One thing I noticed is that the rust is pretty much the same color all over. Try darkening it here and there to represent older patches. Using oil paints you could replicate rust streaks due to rain and snow, etc. I believe the color I use is burnt umber or sienna. I always get the two confused. It looks just like rust. Add a small amount here and there, let it set for a fe minutes and then using a dry brush, drag it down. Looks very convincing. Another method is using the same oil paints, dab it on in various locations, and then using an airbrush, shoot the entire piece with a light coat of thinner. The thinner causes the paints to start "melting" for a lack of a better term and flowing out from the middle. Very cool, and effective effect. Try it on a scrap piece of plastic before hand to see the effect. Just my .02 worth. "Q"