I sketched this based-on-a-real-story theme at the
summer cottage as I wanted to share the warm feel of Finnish summer and some
of the nicest memories from my short time in military service.
• Two figures, minus heads, from Tamiya German Mortar Team (1:35).
• Heads from Hornet.
• Finnish assault rifle RK62 from Dragon AK47/74 pack 2.
• Axe and kevlar helmet from cfbush2000 (thanks!).
It took me some time to find these figures as I wanted
to pose them upper body naked and there are really not too many figures
available of that kind. I also saw this a possibility to try my sculpting
skills as the clothing would have to be removed.
I had to do some adjusting to find the wanted pose but it was fairly easy. I
used CA glue to build the figures and chopped off the heads. I let it cure
for two days and started sculpting with my x-acto knife. Basically I just
removed the jacket, trying to spare the plastic in all the right places
where the muscles should be.
I applied some correction fluid to fill in small gaps and just some x-acto
adjusting was needed after it was dry. I attached Hornet resin heads to the
figures and sculpted the difficult neck area with Milliput. I didn't overdo
the elevations as I was going to paint figures with oils and thought I could
add some depth in details with right kind of colouring. Pants and boots
needed little or no work, only things added were some Milliput folds and
I first based the figures with reddish brown
Humbrol enamel paint but after the first failed attempt with oils I went
back, washed the figures and primed them again, this time with Tamiya
acrylics sand colour.
It worked better as primer and in no time I had a nice dark brown oil base
on figures. I used Daler-Rowney Georgian oils. The base mixture was Burnt
Umber, Yellow Ochre and some Light Buff. I removed the excess paint and let
it dry for three days. Then I added some shadows with Burnt Sienna and
started lightening with mixture of Buff and Burnt Sienna. When I was
satisfied with the color I added some details like nipples, hair for
chest(!) and dark hairlines in belly bumps and facial features. I let the
sweaty shining surface be as it was to make some contrast to matt pants.
I primed the pants with red brown enamel paint and added dark green enamel
and light green acrylic to finish three-color camo scheme. I used thin
acrylic wash for wrinkled areas and finished with dry pastel chalks. No coat
was needed as the finish was matt.
Copyright ©2002 - Text and
Kysenius. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright ©2021 by Toni Kysenius. _OPINIONS Auto Modeler, KitMaker Network, or Silver Star Enterrpises. Images also by copyright holder unless otherwise noted. Opinions expressed are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of ModelGeek. All rights reserved.